Clemson Architecture Center

krazeeboi

• 4 months later...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had heard of this campus before, but not in detail. ;) Sanford's response is par for the course in regards to Clemson University's statewide expansion efforts. I think this development has real potential. Knowing what I do about the quality projects Clemson has been involved with recently, I do not doubt this one will prove greatly beneficial to the state, regardless of the naysayers.

A quote from the WIS article:

Schach told the Charleston Redevelopment Authority board Tuesday the campus would be a restoration institute and become a world leader in environmental science, materials technology and urban redevelopment.

Official Website for Clemson University Restoration Institute

Not very many major universities will be able to boast such a valuable program in urban renewal. :shades:

These articles have helped shed some light on how this project has a bunch of shady layers, principally with the head person, McConnell. Things appear quite interesting when he refused to comment on the issue and how this deal with the north city is on shaky ground.

However, this thread is about the Clemson Architectural Center, not the Restoration Institute. Maybe we need to create another thread for this?

I had heard of this campus before, but not in detail. ;) Sanford's response is par for the course in regards to Clemson University's statewide expansion efforts. I think this development has real potential. Knowing what I do about the quality projects Clemson has been involved with recently, I do not doubt this one will prove greatly beneficial to the state, regardless of the naysayers.

A quote from the WIS article:

Official Website for Clemson University Restoration Institute

Not very many major universities will be able to boast such a valuable program in urban renewal. :shades:

USC will be one of them with Innovista and Centennial Park on the Congaree.

What degrees are offered at USC in urban renewal? Since I know little about that department, I would find that info very interesting.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize you were talking in formal terms. Is Clemson's urban studies program full-fledged? I always thought Virginia would be the closest school to go to for an actual master's degree.

I would guess that Spartan could better describe Clemson's current programs in urban planning, development, and etc. This new campus would be a place offering highly-focused training in urban renewal. Check out the link I provided above for more info. Sounds great to me. :thumbsup:

Specifically, The Restoration Institute, according to President Barker, will address restoration broadly, with major programs in historic preservation of buildings, materials preservation and restoring environments damaged by pollutants or hazardous wastes, commonly known as

• 2 months later...

Clemson Architectural Center seeks to move to new location

Sounds like a great compromise is in the works!! Kudos to the preservationists. Ansonborough is protected, Clemson gets a better and more appropriate site, and no historic buildings will be compromised.

This is exactly the type of thing that USUALLY happens in these disputes. A BETTER solution arises from the controversy.

If this goes through, mark this down as a another win-win deal brought about by preservationists, just like the Charleston Place project.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the only thing I don't like about it is that people actually think the CAC would have affected preservation. People, it was to be built on a dirt parking lot...let me emphasize DIRT. Why should we give kudos to these people who have effectively ensured a unsightly dirt parking lot will still exist in an urban area? According to this article in today's P & C, there are many questions left about the old site and the current one. What would be a better solution for the old CAC site?

IMO, the only major thing that these people did was continue to discourage other enterpreneurs, schools, and developers in building DT. This kind of reputation for Ansonborough will affect what gets built around Concord Park and East Bay Street. It is good that Clemson was able to find another alternative, but this decision could affect recruiting efforts for good students if they find that they'll be taking their classes in an old dialysis clinic.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize you were talking in formal terms. Is Clemson's urban studies program full-fledged? I always thought Virginia would be the closest school to go to for an actual master's degree.

I missed this post before.

Actually, the College of Charleston has a bachelors in Urban Studies and on in Historic Preservation & Community Planning (or something to that effect). If you want a masters in planning/architechture/landscape architecture, the Clemson is the only option in SC. USC is more of a traditional/liberal arts/sciences sort of school, so it does not specialize in this field like the other two schools do. At best USC has a few classes via the geography department in this area.

Georgia Tech and UNC offer degrees in planning. I think UGA has architecture (i could be wrong though) and NC State has Architecture up there. UT also has a decent program in planning... not sure about architecture there.

^ Who says nothing will ever be built on that dirt lot? One look at it would tell you it wasn't a big enough space for what Clemson had envisioned. Maybe what eventually gets built there will actually be appropriate.

It would have to be a couple of Chas-style single houses, then. However, it appears that this neighborhood is exhibiting a very elitist, NIMBY attitude, and I just disagree with it.

It would have to be a couple of Chas-style single houses, then. However, it appears that this neighborhood is exhibiting a very elitist, NIMBY attitude, and I just disagree with it.

What prevailed in this situation, is the same thing that has made Charleston the beautiful and International city that it is today. Don't you think that the preservationists that got the Historic Ordinances passed in the first place (as far back as the 1930's) heard these same comments?

While I saw renderings of this building, I never saw anything that showed the new building in context with it's surroundings . Therefore, I can't say that I would be definitely FOR or AGAINST the original proposal. I do remember that the building looked very contemporary and therfore, most likely would look out of place. Although, again, I had no context to really judge.

No one was trying to save a dirt parking lot. They were trying to prevent (in their view) a structure who's mass and height would dominate and overwhelm it's surroundings. A building that would bring uses and traffic inappropriate for the location.

If I believed that was what would happen, I would indeed, prefer a dirt parking lot. Why, because, I would rather take my chances with what might come down the road rather than ASSURE something inappropriate and out of place.

Everyone seems to be happy with the site, what is not to celebrate. Ansonborough doesn't have to worry about any negative affects, Clemson gets a bigger and higher profile site. They also avoid bad PR, and in fact get good PR.

Something will go on the dirt parking lot, but when it does, you can bet the Ansonborough neighborhood will have a say about it. As well they should. They were there first, they will be directly affected, they live under the same preservation ordinances as anyone else in the historic district, and their property will benefit or suffer based on the situation. Why shouldn't they have a voice, and why shouldn't it be included in the debate and considered by the decisionmakers?

What Ansonborough did, is what makes democracy and Charleston so beautiful. As a native of that city, you should be proud that it so fervertly holds on to what makes it a special and rare place.

Anyone planning to build anything in the historic district knows there are strict regulations. If all they want to do is build cheap cookie-cutter crap, they need to go where they are welcome, Myrtle Beach, or one of a million run-of-the-mill towns and cities across the country. Charleston (or at least the historic district)demands more of itself.

I missed this post before.

Actually, the College of Charleston has a bachelors in Urban Studies and on in Historic Preservation & Community Planning (or something to that effect). If you want a masters in planning/architechture/landscape architecture, the Clemson is the only option in SC. USC is more of a traditional/liberal arts/sciences sort of school, so it does not specialize in this field like the other two schools do. At best USC has a few classes via the geography department in this area.

Georgia Tech and UNC offer degrees in planning. I think UGA has architecture (i could be wrong though) and NC State has Architecture up there. UT also has a decent program in planning... not sure about architecture there.

UT does have arhcitecteture and so does UNCC.

While the design would indeed be modern, it would not be out of place. The architecture department educates people on how to do just this. You can't put architecture students in a stuffy traditional building. They need the inspiration to grow and the influence to be creative. Modern architecture is not foreign to Charleston. Charleston has the state's best example of modern architecture at Middleton (sp?) Plantation-- perhaps even in a larger context than SC. Another great piece of art and one day HISTORY to add to the city's current list wouldn't hurt. I have confidence in their sensitivity to the surroundings and hope that this will happen at the site.

These kids aren't your CofC students, college freshman, or people with lots of free time to cause trouble. These 'kids' are third and fourth year students as well as graduate students, all of whom work hard and attend arguably the state's best public institution and a top 30 institution. Not to mention the undergrad architecture program is top 10 nationally and the graduate program is top 5. I say build it.

Archived