Clemson Architecture Center

krazeeboi

What prevailed in this situation, is the same thing that has made Charleston the beautiful and International city that it is today. Don't you think that the preservationists that got the Historic Ordinances passed in the first place (as far back as the 1930's) heard these same comments?

While I saw renderings of this building, I never saw anything that showed the new building in context with it's surroundings . Therefore, I can't say that I would be definitely FOR or AGAINST the original proposal. I do remember that the building looked very contemporary and therfore, most likely would look out of place. Although, again, I had no context to really judge...

...What Ansonborough did, is what makes democracy and Charleston so beautiful. As a native of that city, you should be proud that it so fervertly holds on to what makes it a special and rare place.

Anyone planning to build anything in the historic district knows there are strict regulations. If all they want to do is build cheap cookie-cutter crap, they need to go where they are welcome, Myrtle Beach, or one of a million run-of-the-mill towns and cities across the country. Charleston (or at least the historic district)demands more of itself.

Vic, the previous two comments from G'ville and Mike really sum up what I would say to retort to your argument. It is true that preservation has helped Chas in the past, but the level of vitriol and attitudes exhibited by the residents of Ansonborough and preservationists will cost Chas dearly in the future. Mike said it perfectly; Clemson could have easily backed out of Chas altogether and built the CAC on its main campus or in DT G'ville. The currently planned Concord Park development will no doubt be under tremendous scrutiny and public opposition, even though this project is sorely needed to fully connect DT's tourism economy, and this could affect the companies and businesses that decide to locate in the project.

As a native, I sometimes feel that what Ansonborough and other NIMBYs do is hold back Chas from achieving the city's full potential. I do think that preservation has helped Chas achieve an ambiance that is like no other city in America, and I am proud of its originality. However, as G'ville said, the CAC would have been modern, but not out of place in size. It was not going to be a behemoth that dwarfed the rest of the houses on the street. Many residents just did not want something besides a residence being built in their neighborhood, and that is a ridiculous way of thinking considering they live downtown where many buildings are mixed use as it is.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Clemson really was stuck with Charleston (which isn't a bad thing) They partner with CofC to teach many of their classes. the Architecture students go down there anyway... this will just give them a place to call their own. Charleston is a better place to study architecture, IMO. There is much more variety in adn aorund that city than in the rest of the state, and most of the region except maybe Savannah.

Archived