Developer purchases land for $60m condo

Crimsonblake

From the Mobile Register

Read the entire article here at Al.com

Real estate developer Oliver and Associates announced Friday that it has an agreement to purchase 1.6-acres of property from CSX railroad for $1.8 million, completing a crucial step in an effort to put three condominium towers on Mobile's downtown riverfront.

The $60 million development at the base of Government Street will be called Water Street Landing and include a terrace full of shops, cafes and restaurants, plus an Amtrak train station called The Depot, according to Andrew Oliver, president of Oliver and Associates.

The existing rail line would remain part of the development. Air rights to build over the tracks are estimated to cost $500,000 and are still being negotiated with CSX, according to Dan Dealy, special projects director at Watermark Design Group LLC, which is working on the project.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see this for Mobile. I hope Mobile doesnt get in a habit of destroying old buildings in order to make room for shiny new midrises and highrises. Mobile has character, so let's not lose that for the sake of building new buildings. Not that this project itself would be destroying anything, but developers in Mobile seem to be in a new-building phase so I hope they dont neglect some of the more historic structures.

Good to see this for Mobile.  I hope Mobile doesnt get in a habit of destroying old buildings in order to make room for shiny new midrises and highrises.  Mobile has character, so let's not lose that for the sake of building new buildings.  Not that this project itself would be destroying anything, but developers in Mobile seem to be in a new-building phase so I hope they dont neglect some of the more historic structures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That won't happen. There are many historic preservationist down here that would stop that from happening. It's not as easy today to destroy historic buildings as it was back in the 60's.

This CSX building is an industrial eyesore.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great to see an emerging Downtown Mobile ! That's great they are utilizing their waterfront ! Baton Rouge is similiar with it's riverfront and downtown ! I think both cities have many similar characteristics !

Go Deep South / I-10 corridor ! Baton Rouge needs a 28-story Hotel like the Riverview in it's downtown. BR's tallest Hotel at 22-stories is 4 miles outside of downtown .

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well looks like the Water St. project is still on.

Water Street developers persevere - Mobile Press-Register

"We do understand that there's a perception of 'Wow! This is probably never going to happen,'" said Bostick, a partner in the Millennium Pacific Icon Group based in Los Angeles. "But we're not going anywhere. The property is not for sale."

Yeah, i guess he is the new guy in charge. Are they going to redisign the condo building?? It sounded like they were going to hire a firm from B-ham to redo the work done by White-Spunner....or are they just going to finish them. If they are redoing them then I hope they design a more urban building that is not so beachy and more old Mobile. Like the old crawford or beinville hotels that were destroyed. Or maybe like the Van antwerp building or something. but oh well, it will be better than nothing.

Yeah, i guess he is the new guy in charge. Are they going to redisign the condo building?? It sounded like they were going to hire a firm from B-ham to redo the work done by White-Spunner....or are they just going to finish them. If they are redoing them then I hope they design a more urban building that is not so beachy and more old Mobile. Like the old crawford or beinville hotels that were destroyed. Or maybe like the Van antwerp building or something. but oh well, it will be better than nothing.

Archived