Market Common @ former Myrtle Beach AFB

GSP Tiger

Sports vendor to build MB store

Orvis recently announced to open a store at the new Market Common, a development with 50 other retailers and restaurants on the former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. The 14,000 square feet store will include its flyfishing goods, outdoor apparel, and hunting goods. It is slated to open in 2007.

Apartments and condomium units will be built above restaurant and retail space.

Also part of the new Market Common are P. F. Chang's China Bistro (the first in South Carolina), a multiplex (most likely with stadium seating), an upscale Piggy Wiggly store, and Claddagh Irish Pub.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's primarily Chinese food, but they try to throw some other influeneces in there, with a little Americanization for good measure.

If you know what to order, I hear they're great. I don't, so I was less than thrilled with my dining experience. I've only tried in once in Charlotte, but I may give it another shot next time I'm near one.

It's primarily Chinese food, but they try to throw some other influeneces in there, with a little Americanization for good measure. 

If you know what to order, I hear they're great.  I don't, so I was less than thrilled with my dining experience.  I've only tried in once in Charlotte, but I may give it another shot next time I'm near one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been there 3 or 4 times now, but honestly the thing about PF Changs is they're good but nothing extraordinary even though they seem to be hyped up a lot... it's essentially as you said Americanized Chinese food

...Also part of the new Market Common are P. F. Chang's China Bistro (the first in South Carolina), a multiplex (most likely with stadium seating), an upscale Piggy Wiggly store, and Claddagh Irish Pub.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is great news! I ate at my first P.F. Chang's in Atlanta a couple of years ago, and I wondered why SC has been so slow in getting one. I guess restaurants like this locate in either big cities or huge tourist destinations, but it would make sense to have one of these bistros in Charleston and Columbia. It would be alot better than the Chinese restaurants currently in the area that are just Grade D food!

It seems that with these developments, MB is becoming more upscale everyday.

People don't normally go to the Beach to eat Chinese food, but I guess it could happen. They are going to find it tough going against the buffet at the Fung Wah. Personally I don't really like PF Changs but I suspect that if they build on in SC, Myrtle Beach would be the first place they would put one.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you all in Columbia and Charleston (and surrounding areas) are aware but Greenville is getting a PF Chang's as well. The one here in Greenville opens in early Spring of 2006. We are also rumored to be getting The Cheesecake Factory and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse down at the new RiverPlace development downtown near the new West End Stadium. Supposedly locations are being looked at for South Carolina's first Apple computer store?

Where did you hear this?

Actually, and apologetically, I cannot remember where exactly. I have been reading so many news articles and other items lately that I can only recall there being a one or two line "blip" about this "rumor". If I run across it again I will post the name of the source for everyone.

Archived