JA Building gets Taller

joeDowntown

There is an article in today's press about adding four stories to the old JA building on the corner of Fulton and Division. Robert Tol expects to start on the building this fall with completion in spring 2006. This would be very cool. The article also includes the original rendering of the 6 story building that Davenport had intended before moving up Fulton in the early sixties. I guess it was always planned for six stories as the then Davenport College expanded.

Joe

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde...2860.xml&coll=6

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say that one is DOA.  I always thought that it was way too upscale for that location and that it would never fly.  Maybe in ten years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not surprised that this have become another piece of DT Vaportecture. But I am surprised that it got as far as the pretty rendering, and free ad/article in the Press. I really wish these guys would actually get their ducks in a row before they start shooting off their mouths about these "developments". This hype to heap cycle that we've seen with to many projects DT is just very disappointing.

I'm also not holding my breath about the extra stories project for the JA building either. It seems more like a developer that's trying to convince himself that he is still serious about developing this site. It to will vanish when he thinks no one is looking.

btw, what is going on with the project across Division? Wasn't this project supposed to be started by now? I still see the city's "For Sale" sign in a middle of an ever growing field of grass with no sign of anything taking place. Gag! I hope this isn't going down the tubes as well! :wacko:

I'm not surprised that this have become another piece of DT Vaportecture. But I am surprised that it got as far as the pretty rendering, and free ad/article in the Press. I really wish these guys would actually get their ducks in a row before they start shooting off their mouths about these "developments". This hype to heap cycle that we've seen with to many projects DT is just very disappointing.

I'm also not holding my breath about the extra stories project for the JA building  either. It seems more like a developer that's trying to convince himself that he is still serious about developing this site. It to will vanish when he thinks no one is looking.

btw, what is going on with the project across Division? Wasn't this project supposed to be started by now? I still see the city's "For Sale" sign in a middle of an ever growing field of grass with no sign of anything taking place.  Gag! I hope this isn't going down the tubes as well!  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I seem to remember that Sam Cummings (of Second Story) said that it would not be started right away because of having to put together financing, tax package with State and city, REAL plans drawn up, tenants for the retail/jazz club portion, etc.. I checked the old posts, but I could not access the old newspaper articles to find out for sure.

I have to say that the JA project would be much more manageable. The building can support the addition, and he has ample parking until (if ever) he builds Park Place.

I hope this one makes it, and I hope they really stick to the deco / moderne roots...

Joe

I have to say that the JA project would be much more manageable. The building can support the addition, and he has ample parking until (if ever) he builds Park Place.

I hope this one makes it, and I hope they really stick to the deco / moderne roots...

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I agree Joe. That is a VERY important corner. This developer needs to take special care not to botch that job (if it ever proceeds). I think the ground floor might be a good spot for the CVS pharmacy that Nancy Crawley is itching to have at that inersection.

Yes, I agree Joe.  That is a VERY important corner.  This developer needs to take special care not to botch that job (if it ever proceeds). I think the ground floor  might be a good spot for the CVS pharmacy that Nancy Crawley is itching to have at that inersection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I drove by it the other day and was trying to envision the same building but 6 floors tall :huh: Personally, I think the building is quite un-spectacular. Would they use the same brick color and finishes, I wonder? And the windows are quite small on the existing structure.

I think it's a very cool idea and will be good to clean up the corner. I'm alittle anxious though, to see a new rendering. It could end up rather bland...or a hip head-turner, depending on their creativity and what they'll be allowed to get away with.

Archived