Atlanta VS Charlotte

Skyybutter

I really agree with this statement. And I didnt know there was a Backstreet in Florida ? Same owners?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they were the same owners. I haven't been there in a long time so I don't know if it is even there now. But I can imagine "the memories" you were talking about if the Atlanta one was like the one on "Lauderdale". :alc:

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is starting to get asinine. Keep it on topic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry. Since you're a moderator, can you answer a couple of questions for me? 1. Is there a policy against asinine posts in general or just my posts? 2. What constitutes an OT post? I ask because the topic of discussion is what Atlantans think about Charlotte. Does that make posts from non-Atlantans OT? I have no problem with non-Atlantans posting. It's just that rules regarding OT posts isn't very clear, at least it isn't in this case. Thank you.

My apologies for not PMing this to you. I try not to send unsolicited PMs to people.

Well I thought Charlotte was like NYC because of all the modern skyscrapers and the little stores that remind you of NY like Dean & Deluca and others. Oh and by the way I have been to Chicago and NYC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nyc isn't known for "modern" skyscrapers. plus you just named Dean & Deluca, what are the "others" you speak of? i am doubtful that you have ever been to nyc

For what it's worth I'm with UrbanSoutherner.  I have to say, on behalf of all southern cities outside of ATL, that looking at Atlanta and learning from it are different then wanting to be like it.  Atlanta, like any city, has both good and bad, many smaller southern cities study it for both emulation at times and also avoidance of specific pros and cons.  It would be stupid for other southern cities, especially Charlotte to ignore the lessons Atlanta can teach, however I don't think Charlotte wants to be any city other than Charlotte.  Atlantans do at times let that go to their heads, but as previously said both cities are guilty of shameless boosterism which has garnered much for both.  Atlanta does also offer a measuring stick which other southern cities can place their backs to in order to see how big their getting at times (and I'm sure most cities enjoy doing that as they see themselves growing) (And I know Atlanta LOVES IT when other cities do it, it

It wasn't specifically said in this thread but it is said often in these types of forums whenever the subject comes up. Often times though the forumers at UP know the difference between studying a city and replicating it, so I may have not had to clarify anyway.

nyc isn't known for "modern" skyscrapers. plus you just named Dean & Deluca, what are the "others" you speak of? i am doubtful that you have ever been to nyc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

um cough cough..NYC is defenitley known for modern skycrapers. Here are some pics to prove to you against your very untrue comment. And I have been to nyc ALOT of times plus I was born in paramus,nj....so I suggest you choose your words more carefully befor you go off half cocked, ok! And I hace more pics if you continue to have that opinion.

post-4402-1122331488_thumb.jpg

post-4402-1122331604_thumb.jpg

post-4402-1122331488_thumb.jpg

post-4402-1122331604_thumb.jpg

Sorry. Since you're a moderator, can you answer a couple of questions for me? 1. Is there a policy against asinine posts in general or just my posts? 2. What constitutes an OT post? I ask because the topic of discussion is what Atlantans think about Charlotte. Does that make posts from non-Atlantans OT? I have no problem with non-Atlantans posting. It's just that rules regarding OT posts isn't very clear, at least it isn't in this case. Thank you.

My apologies for not PMing this to you. I try not to send unsolicited PMs to people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PM's are always welcome. Never hesitate to send one to any of the staff :)

There is no policy against asinine posts. My comment was not directed solely at you. We used to not allow the city vs city at UP because they used to end up with pointless bashing, posts, name calling, etc. which was a commen thing at 'other' forums. The most notorious of these was the "ATL vs CLT" -which was always bad news.

The maturity level has risen since those days, and we have relaxed that rule. The city vs city discussions now consist of educated and well thought out posts. This one in particular is going very well. I am impressed with the ideas that many of you have put forth.

My point is that I am wary of the asinine posts only because of that history. It is not taboo to say these things, but I felt it was necesssary to interject so that the discusison did not stray into old territory. I hope that cleared things up for you :thumbsup:

um cough cough..NYC is defenitley known for modern skycrapers. Here are some pics to prove to you against your very untrue comment. And I have been to nyc ALOT of times plus I was born in paramus,nj....so I suggest you choose your words more carefully befor you go off half cocked, ok! And I hace more pics if you continue to have that opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NYC is known for both old and new, which is why it is the greatest city in the world. Perhaps its old more so than the new, but there is not a lack of either :)

NYC is known for both old and new, which is why it is the greatest city in the world. Perhaps its old more so than the new, but there is not a lack of either :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your absoluteley right :) , it's just I posted that because I kind of got ticked when someone said New York "wasn't" known for their modern buildings. As a former northener, we get seriously miffed when someone tells u sthat our city isn't "good" enough. That just doesn't set well with us at all.

Your absoluteley right :) , it's just I posted that because I kind of got ticked when someone said New York "wasn't" known for their modern buildings. As a former northener, we get seriously miffed when someone tells u sthat our city isn't "good" enough. That just doesn't set well with us at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't that true with anyone? :)

There's two possible perspectives on that, Spartan.

1. Atlanta is better because it actually has transit and Charlotte doesn't.

2. Charlotte is better because it is able to actually get transit ideas built or underway whereas Atlanta hasn't been able to for a while (Beltline excluded here becasue there's no definite "yes" on it yet).

True, but Atlanta has had it for years and has not expanded it, meanwhile traffic has become much worse. It has the 4th worst sprawl in the nation.

Charlotte has better traffic, but only by proportion, IMO.

They are constructing their LRT, so it is hard to say how successful it will be.

At what point in Atlanta's population history was MARTA constructed?

There's two possible perspectives on that, Spartan.

1. Atlanta is better because it actually has transit and Charlotte doesn't.

2. Charlotte is better because it is able to actually get transit ideas built or underway whereas Atlanta hasn't been able to for a while (Beltline excluded here becasue there's no definite "yes" on it yet).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ironchapman could you please elaborate on your second point?

It was my understanding that Charlotte has public transportation, just not rail derived transportation. So wouldn't the difference be that one has rail and bus transit and the other only has bus transit. I don't like using the term better when comparing siblings so I will say "further along". If Atlanta is further along than Charlotte with rail transit, then how can Charlotte be "better" than Atlanta at getting rail transit built?

True, but Atlanta has had it for years and has not expanded it, meanwhile traffic has become much worse. It has the 4th worst sprawl in the nation.

Charlotte has better traffic, but only by proportion, IMO.

They are constructing their LRT, so it is hard to say how successful it will be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1970's...when it was the size Charlotte is today.

@ Lady Celeste: Spartan answered my point.

Rail Transit in Charlotte Thread

True, but Atlanta has had it for years and has not expanded it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, about 2 years ago Atlanta expanded the MARTA system by 2 stations in 2001...those would include the Sandy Spring's and North Spring's stations. I beleive MARTA was created in the late 70's-early 80's. But, population wise i'm not sure of? :blink:

Actually, about 2 years ago Atlanta expanded the MARTA system by 2 stations in 2001...those would include the Sandy Spring's and North Spring's stations. I beleive MARTA was created in the late 70's-early 80's. But, population wise i'm not sure of? :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlanta's Metro was around 2 mil at the time...like I said, about the same as Charlotte's is today. The city pop was pretty close to 500,000, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I remember.......and I know you weren't talking directly to me.....Marta has been around for a very long time. The rail part of Marta is 25 years old. I feel old in saying that I recall when the Marta trains first started running. The population of Metro Atlanta was roughly the size of metro Charlotte today so expanding heavy rail was easier. During the mid 80's when Marta tried to extend it's lines further, it ran into opposition from not only the counties it served (Fulton and DeKalb) but also the surrounding suburban counties.

Fulton and Dekalb county residents have paid an additional 1 cent tax to fund Marta. When Marta tried to extend even further out, the other counties balked at the notion so Marta was basically stiffled by the suburban counties. That was a different time for Atlanta because the native population was much much higher than it is today. As the population became more diverse (read as people from other parts of the country and world), the idea of public transportation via rail began to catch on. The sad thing about that is that heavy rail is very expensive to run and maintain and the ridership of the system years ago caused the system to be really dependant on federal funding and all new extensions of the line were through bonds issued. Thats not the most sound way.

Now that traffic is a nightmare, the suburbanites are warming up to the notion of "commuter rail"...read as Marta trains. The problem that Marta faces now is that while people want Marta in some places, the development around possible rountes have grown so dense that to purchase right of ways have skyrocketed. I gave an example in another thread. I have basically always live in northern Fulton county. There was a time when people would say NIMBY.....but around 1996 or 98 that began to change. Alot of northeners began to move to the area and wonder why there was no commuter rail. When Marta came to a townhall meeting in Alpharetta (the northern suburb where I live) and gave us future expansion options, we were excited. It was either extend the rail line north to Windward(Alpharetta), east to Lithonia, west to Fulton Industrial or south beyond the airport station. At that time we were told to expect the extension our way by 2025 at a cost of $5 billion. That was then. Since then, the GA 400 corridor has been built much more densely so the $5 billion dollar amount quoted then is probably double that.

Marta is not in the financial shape to afford such a price. Top that with the fact that now the voters of Fulton and DeKalb counties have elected not to extend the penny sales tax option for Marta. Many of the citizens of said counties are fed up with footing the bill for a regional system. Many people from Cobb, Forsyth, Clayton, Gwinnett and Rockdale counties ride Marta without helping to foot the bill. I really wished that Marta became a metro wide system supported by the 13 county immediate metro area. It's going to take a collective effort. Traffic is not going to get better. We cannot build the highways any wider than they already are. The only solution is to offer options.

That's why I say this...........Charlotte is at a great crossroad. It is in the possition to bring in the major counties of it's metro area to work collectively to have a great commuter system. It is on the right track with proposed LTR. It will also take progressive politicians and thoughtful citizens to ensure that cooperation takes place to give Charlotte a commuter system worthy such a great city.

My apologies for being so long winded. :thumbsup:

Why are you guys comparing cities??? Each city has something good that maybe the other doesn't. Charlotte has its purpose and Atlanta has its. Charlotte does have a long way to catch Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My intention in starting this thread was to get opinions on how Atlanta and Charlotte influence one another. Its not always easy to stay on topic and thats ok. Ive enjoyed reading the posts. Over all I think everyone has been respectful.

Archived