Atlanta VS Charlotte

Skyybutter

Reffering to Lake Wylie, I wouldn't get in that lake if I was anyone - though I spent many summers swimming in it growing up.  Most of Charlotte's treated sewage goes directly into Lake Wylie, in addition with the number of motored boats in such a small lake - the toxicity is rather high.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte does not discharge wastewater into Lake Wylie. There are 5 or 6 treatment plants that release their treated waste water into various creeks mostly on the south and easter side of the city away from the lakes.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte does not discharge wastewater into Lake Wylie.  There are 5 or 6 treatment plants that release their treated waste water into various creeks mostly on the south and easter side of the city away from the lakes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the correction - you're right, most of the plants discharge into Sugar Creek. But on the other hand there was always the concern over septic tanks on all the lake homes, which is also an issue for the York County side as well.

lol, the water in the lakes is very warm on a normal day, not really the best for cooling off. (I am making an assumption based on Mt. Isle Lake)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The answer to that is to go up to the Cowans Ford end of Mountain Island Lake. The water there comes out of the bottom of Lake Norman via the hydro plant. and it is pretty chilly. Feels good on a hot day. It also creates sort of a micro climate since it is in a 20-30 ft valley surrounded by trees. Its much more confortable.

Its the same on Lake Norman, though many boats would have a difficult time making it all the way up to the Highrock dam because it gets pretty shallow. I've done it but my boat only has an 18 inch draft due to the jet drive. The water there is very cold. :P

Partially the reason that Charlotte is "behind" Atlanta is because North Carolina is a more populated state than Georgia.

Georgia only has one really big metro area--Atlanta, but NC has 2 (Charlotte and the Triangle). (Plus, a smaller Triad metro area).

If you combined Charlotte and the Triangle, the area would be bigger than Atlanta (and one day, each of them seperately will rival Atlanta).

If NC did not have two seperate, somewhat large metro areas, I suppose Charlotte would equal Atlanta in size right now.

Partially the reason that Charlotte is "behind" Atlanta is because North Carolina is a more populated state than Georgia.

Is this with the recent Census estimates (because I have not seen all of the results yet) or something? Because last time I checked, GA was larger in population.

Georgia only has one really big metro area--Atlanta, but NC has 2 (Charlotte and the Triangle).  (Plus, a smaller Triad metro area). 

If you combined Charlotte and the Triangle, the area would be bigger than Atlanta (and one day, each of them seperately will rival Atlanta).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Charlotte and the triangle combined the land area might be larger, but Atlanta would still belarger in tearms of people. Atlanta metro has over 5 million.

Charlotte has 1.7million and the Triangle has 1.4(i believe) so together it would be a city of a little over 3 million. Kinda puts a whole new perspective of just how large Atlanta really is.

If Charlotte and the triangle combined the land area might be larger, but Atlanta would still belarger in tearms of people. Atlanta metro has over 5 million.

Charlotte has 1.7million and the Triangle has 1.4(i believe) so together it would be a city of a little over 3 million. Kinda puts a whole new perspective of just how large Atlanta really is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What would the population be if we combined Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad. Those metros seem like they'll start to grow together within the next couple of decades.

What would the population be if we combined Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad. Those metros seem like they'll start to grow together within the next couple of decades.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Around 5-6 Million pop

Charlotte 13 county region is 2.1M-2.2 M

Winston-Salem MSA is about 1.4 M

and the Raleigh-Durahm MSA area is around 1.4-1.6M

GA and NC will mirror one another in total state population. Both states are expected to grow in tandum and become some of the most populated outside of TX,NY, FL, and CA. I think the estimates put them at 5th and 6th in the nation by the year 2030.

A2

jb456 - that theory is a bit of a stretch. Charlotte could theoretically be as large as Atlanta or larger despite the proximity of Raleigh or Winston-Salem. Atlanta grew when it grew due to unique circumstances, Charlotte grew when it grew due to it's own unique circumstances. Just as Birmingham AL is only 130 miles from Atlanta as had no negative impact on Atlanta's growth, Raleigh hasn't had any negative impact on Charlotte's growth - in fact in some ways both cities have benefited from their relative locations.

GA and NC will  mirror one another in total state population. Both states are expected to grow in tandum and become some of the most populated outside of TX,NY, FL, and CA. I think the estimates put them at 5th and 6th in the nation by the year 2030.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does seem like that, doesn't it?

Here's an interesting thought I had:

Maybe the reason NC has three prominent metros is because all the state's major cities are located closer together GA's major cities. I'm sure GA would have another metro that could compete with Atlanta if its major cities weren't so spread out.

Hi, Tides. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. :)

1. Yes, Atlanta is better for single males. There are far more single women in Atlanta than there are men. This is kind of true everywhere though. Charlotte seems a better place for families with kids than for singles. IMO, this isn't going to change anytime soon since the powers that be like to attract families. I know they appointed a board to look into the lack of unmarried yuppies in Charlotte, but you can't really plan that sort of thing. Charlotte is either going to be hot or its not. I don't think every city is meant to be a great place for singles.

2. About the same. They're 4 hours apart. When a storm hits Atlanta, usually it hits Charlotte too. That's common in the south.

3. Depends where you are. Friday and Saturday nights, you should avoid Peachtree at all costs. The interstates and toll road have a decent amount of traffic, but no gridlock. You'll usually see stalled traffic when there's an accident and/or it rains. Sometimes construction slows traffic. Same thing happens in Charlotte.

4. It's about the same. It's bad at the same times, but on a smaller scale. One significant difference is traffic in Atlanta keeps moving. In Charlotte, people just sit there. They don't move to the faster lane or anything. They just wait. I just don't get it. :P

5 . Yes and yes. As more people move here, they'll use their cars. Few American cities have been successful at getting people to use public transport instead of the roads. But there seems to me even more resistance in the south. People move here from other regions and just fall in line with that behavior.

6 . They're both pretty friendly cities. But I feel more comfortable in Atlanta. It's more diverse and open-minded for the most part. All these Bush-Cheney people in Charlotte got me all askeered. (That was a joke.)

7. I don't know. Clean lakes don't seem to be a priority in America. Last night, I watched a show on Nat Geo channel about the floods spawned by Hurricane Floyd in NC. When the flood water receded, a lot of the pollution went with the flood waters. Based on that, I guess it'll take another flood to clean up the lakes.

8 . No, but ask this question on the Atlanta Cuisine boards. If anyone knows, it's them.

9. No. It has nothing to do with Atlanta. Americans just like their cars. It makes no sense to many people to pay $60,000 for a car and never drive it. We really love our cars. Atlanta and Charlotte would have to overcome that mentality to lessen traffic woes. I think if most cities got together and worked on an larger American solution, we could see some progress. But the problem is too big for one city alone to solve.

Ironchapman, using Emporis' numbers....which I was told was the most current CSA estimations....they are as follows:

Atlanta - 5,034,362

Charlotte - 2,067,810

Ral/Durm - 1,365,892

Wins/Sal - 1,473,679

That would give the three combined areas totals as 4,907,381. That means that their combined areas are comparable to the Atlanta's CSA...give or take 126,000. Like A2 said, they are both gorwing about the same.

We said all that to show what I don't know.

I think I asked this question before but where did Emporis get it's numbers and if it is a valid source then these numbers would be the most current right?

Around  5-6 Million pop

Charlotte 13 county region is 2.1M-2.2 M

Winston-Salem MSA  is about 1.4 M

and the Raleigh-Durahm MSA area is around 1.4-1.6M

GA and NC will  mirror one another in total state population. Both states are expected to grow in tandum and become some of the most populated outside of TX,NY, FL, and CA. I think the estimates put them at 5th and 6th in the nation by the year 2030.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They already mirror each other. Each has over 8 million residents. GA does have smaller metros since they've given a county to each and every one of those 8 million people. :D

Is this with the recent Census estimates (because I have not seen all of the results yet) or something? Because last time I checked, GA was larger in population.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is. Right now GA is 10th in pop and NC is 11th. They literally are almost tied in total state population. I think the difference is less than 250K

A2

Hi, Tides. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. :)

1. Yes, Atlanta is better for single males. There are far more single women in Atlanta than there are men. This is kind of true everywhere though. Charlotte seems a better place for families with kids than for singles. IMO, this isn't going to change anytime soon since the powers that be like to attract families. I know they appointed a board to look into the lack of unmarried yuppies in Charlotte, but you can't really plan that sort of thing. Charlotte is either going to be hot or its not. I don't think every city is meant to be a great place for singles.

2. About the same. They're 4 hours apart. When a storm hits Atlanta, usually it hits Charlotte too. That's common in the south.

3. Depends where you are. Friday and Saturday nights, you should avoid Peachtree at all costs. The interstates and toll road have a decent amount of traffic, but no gridlock. You'll usually see stalled traffic when there's an accident and/or it rains. Sometimes construction slows traffic. Same thing happens in Charlotte.

4. It's about the same. It's bad at the same times, but on a smaller scale. One significant difference is traffic in Atlanta keeps moving. In Charlotte, people just sit there. They don't move to the faster lane or anything. They just wait. I just don't get it.  :P

5 . Yes and yes. As more people move here, they'll use their cars. Few American cities have been successful at getting people to use public transport instead of the roads. But there seems to me even more resistance in the south. People move here from other regions and just fall in line with that behavior.

6 . They're both pretty friendly cities. But I feel more comfortable in Atlanta. It's more diverse and open-minded for the most part. All these Bush-Cheney people in Charlotte got me all askeered. (That was a joke.)

7. I don't know. Clean lakes don't seem to be a priority in America. Last night, I watched a show on Nat Geo channel about the floods spawned by Hurricane Floyd in NC. When the flood water receded, a lot of the pollution went with the flood waters. Based on that, I guess it'll take another flood to clean up the lakes.

8 . No, but ask this question on the Atlanta Cuisine boards. If anyone knows, it's them.

9. No. It has nothing to do with Atlanta. Americans just like their cars. It makes no sense to many people to pay $60,000 for a car and never drive it. We really love our cars. Atlanta and Charlotte would have to overcome that mentality to lessen traffic woes. I think if most cities got together and worked on an larger American solution, we could see some progress. But the problem is too big for one city alone to solve.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I agree with you totally on the feel of the city topic. I like Atlanta alot better because it has managed to keep hold of that southern feel but Charlotte on the other hand feel more like NY because everybody is moving and they are all business types there. I just don't get that freindlt feel there like I do in Atlanta.

So, NC is not larger, as jb456 said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

correct IC.... B)

A2

NC is slightly smaller. I am sure they will go back and forth with NC leap frogging GA and then GA leap frogging back ahead of NC over the next few years. They are literally that close in population.

So, NC is not larger, as jb456 said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At one time, NC was larger...I didn't have the updated census figures.

I don't think my theory is too far off. Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte are two competing metro areas that are have similar amenities (airports, housing, entertainment, shopping etc), but have some very subtle differences in their atmospheres (intellecutal vs. business, more suburban vs more urban). Someone can choose to live in Raleigh/Durham/Cary and not miss anything that Charlotte has to offer and vice versa (esstentially).

Atlanta has never had that competition for its metro area.

Georgia's population is much more centralized (ie. over half its population lives in the Atlanta area), where as NC's population is much more spread out over Charlotte, Triad, Triangle.

NC is slightly smaller. I am sure they will go back and forth with NC leap frogging GA and then GA leap frogging back ahead of NC over the next few years.  They are literally that close in population.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I've seen happen over the past several years.

Maybe it's just because I haven't seen too many sources for the time, but didn't NC have a lead over GA for quite a while back in the 1960's, 70's and 80's?

Yeah, I agree with you totally on the feel of the city topic. I like Atlanta alot better because it has managed to keep hold of that southern feel but Charlotte on the other hand feel more like NY because everybody is moving and they are all business types there. I just don't get that freindlt feel there like I do in Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. I get the feeling that Atlanta is much more impersonal (which isn't bad), but that Charlotte is the "biggest small town" in the world. Charlotte has a very small town, Southern atmosphere to me (which I like)

BTW, I'm really proud that everyone is acutally having an intellectual discussion about this instead of one of the typical Atlanta sucks/Charlotte sucks discussions.

That's what I've seen happen over the past several years.

Maybe it's just because I haven't seen too many sources for the time, but didn't NC have a lead over GA for quite a while back in the 1960's, 70's and 80's?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's possible, mainly because Atlanta just wasn't as big then. Outside of Atlanta, GA's pop drops quickly. I think an interesting fact that I heard from atrlvr was that in 1983-1984 Atlanta's population was right under 2,000,000 which is exactly where CLT is now. What is interesting about that date is that that was when Atlanta got there first Ritz. It is really interesting since NOW CLT is getting there first Ritz. I am saying all of that becasue a lot of people compare ATL and Charlotte as being 20 years apart in terms of population. I now believe that to be true. So here how I think it goes going forward. Again JMHO:

Charlotte Population 5.5-6 Million MSA 2030*

Atlanta Population 9-10 Million MSA 2030*

*I might say CLT pushes the 6,000,000 since that would be 25 years from now. Atlanta MIGHT, and notice I say MIGHT slow a bit because of the fact that other Southern cities are now "in play" for major corporation relocations and Northern Transplants. (Ie Jacksonville, Nashville, Raleigh, Durahm, Tampa ete, etc)

It's possible, mainly because Atlanta just wasn't as big then. Outside of Atlanta, GA's pop drops quickly. I think an interesting fact that I heard from atrlvr was that in 1983-1984 Atlanta's population was right under 2,000,000 which is exactly where CLT is now. What is interesting about that date is that that was when Atlanta got there first Ritz. It is really interesting since NOW CLT is getting there first Ritz. I am saying all of that becasue a lot of people compare ATL and Charlotte as being 20 years apart in terms of population. I now believe that to be true. So here how I think it goes going forward. Again JMHO:

Charlotte Population 5.5 Million  MSA 2030*

Atlanta Population    9 Million    MSA  2030

*I might say CLT pushes 6 since that would be 25 years from now. Atlanta MIGHT, and notice I say MIGHT slow a bit because of the fact that other Southern cities are now "in play" for major corporation relocations and Northern Transplants. (Ie Jacksonville, Nashville, Raleigh, Durahm, Tampa ete, etc)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People have always said that CLT is where ATL was 20 years ago (I've been hearing that for years). Sadly, I don't see CLT learning from ATL's mistakes either.

I do think your ATL population estimate is a little overboard. You are saying that ATL is going to be larger than NYC? (And, NYC isn't really gorwing anymore..acutally losing or staying steady).

I tend to think that ATL's rapid growth and traffic problems will hurt them in the coming years, and people will stay away or businesses will consider relocation (in the next 15-20 years)

Archived