Narragansett Beer makes a comeback

Cotuit

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting story...  I just had the Newport Storm beer this evening for the first time and enjoyed it quite a bit...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't mean to plug...but....

I highly recommend the FREE tour of Newport Storm brewery as well. 'Storm is my favorite beer, and it doesnt taste any better than at the brewery. Free tours every Friday at 6pm (with free samples), but get there early (5:30 or prior) cause they only let in 75 people, and they usually have to turn several away. Don't forget your ID - they card.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Still has that cheap swill taste. :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I came home the other day and my boyfriend was drinking it. I have no desire to try it. He was mostly drinking it because Quint in Jaws drank it, he's a big Jaws fan.

I like the brand too. I'm amazed by what Narragansett's market share was, like 50% of all New England beer sales! I've heard that the flavor went downhill after Falstaff closed down the Cranston brewery and moved it to Fort Wayne, IN.

I personally wonder though if it's just that consumers have gotten more discriminating in their tastes. My grandparents were happy with their Narragansetts as well as with their instant coffee. What fruits and vegetables they ate mostly came out of a can. Me, I need my IPA and my French roast as well as fresh produce 'cause I'm spoiled.

In any case, the new Narragansett owners are going to move the brewing operation and hopefully this will mean better taste.

i actually have a vintage 60's Ganset beer workshirt with the required "Hi neighbor" patch.  and I have a few original pilsner gansett glasses kicking around here somewheres.  I always dug the brand.. if not for the taste for the local pride.

(sorry for the self indulgent post here.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

Its amazing, because it doesnt taste great (but I have developed an ability to drink it) but Gansett has become the PBR of Providence. All the hipsters drink it. The most Narragansett sold in the country comes out of the Decatur lounge in Loungo square. Tuesdays are Dolla Gansett night (thats a 16 oz tall boy for a dollar) and the place is always packed.

Narragansett even ended up sponsoring the Providence Kickball League (no joke!) with a Player of the Week and everything. They are definately trying hard to make a comeback.

And why not? Why cant Rhode Island have its own Bud?

• 4 months later...

Tried Narragansett recently since they moved the brewing operation to Upstate NY from Fort Wayne, IN. (Eventually it's supposed to be brewed again in RI.)

Huge improvement. It might not be Bass Ale but it's really pretty good and you can't beat the price.

The guy at City Liquors on North Main told me that they've brought in the former Gansett brewmaster who's like in his 80s.

Fun site:

http://www.narragansettbeer.net/

I came home the other day and my boyfriend was drinking it. I have no desire to try it. He was mostly drinking it because Quint in Jaws drank it, he's a big Jaws fan.

Jaws was on TCM this past week - I love the scene when he guzzles it down, then crushes the can in his hand. I remember watching this scene in the theatre in 1975 when the movie came out. The audience loved it!

I have never had Narragannsett, but i asked my grandpa about and he just said absolut rot gut. But thats also coming from somone who lived in germany half there life and sippd down bitburger all day. I do kinda still wanna try one now, just cuz its new england.

I have never had Narragannsett, but i asked my grandpa about and he just said absolut rot gut. But thats also coming from somone who lived in germany half there life and sippd down bitburger all day. I do kinda still wanna try one now, just cuz its new england.

Geez, a German guy pooh-poohing a beer?

Next you'll tell me you asked your French grandmother about some local wine and she said it was rat piss. :rofl:

Geez, a German guy pooh-poohing a beer?

Next you'll tell me you asked your French grandmother about some local wine and she said it was rat piss. :rofl:

Hes not from germany, he was there as a teacher on military base, he likes most american beer just not lighter beers, he drinks sam adams now. But i got to give it to you, my french grandma does hate american wine. :D

I don't know anyone who liked it. My uncle's a big beer drinker and he hated it.

My dad liked it before they sold out. My understanding is that the quality started going down hill around 1975 or so and then became undrinkable when production was moved out of state in the 80's. He always declared it "a good lawn mowin' beer" like Miller High Life or other pale beers. Obviously it wouldn't compete with European beers.

My dad liked it before they sold out. My understanding is that the quality started going down hill around 1975 or so and then became undrinkable when production was moved out of state in the 80's. He always declared it "a good lawn mowin' beer" like Miller High Life or other pale beers. Obviously it wouldn't compete with European beers.

A dude I used to work with used to take it with salt.

No joke. He would take his beer, shake about 5 or 6 shakes of salt in it, and drink.

When I was little, my grandfather gave me Piels in a dixie cup evereytime I would visit. I blame him for my complete adoration of trashy beers. I find them very honest and I enjoy drinking them. I have no use for lot of other microbrews, but I do love and seek out stouts and porters too. So I go from very light, to very dark.

Anyway, I always drank Pabst and High Life, and Gennessee Cream ale. Any local beer. So when I moved to RI I started buying Narragansett.

Having never had the original, I can only comment on the present incarnation. It is darker than I expected, and tastes maltier than say PBR. I For people that love harpoon and sam adams and dont like pale beers like PBR and Miller, I would imagine they would still look down on it. But it is decent for the category.

Archived