Politics: Richland County

Diversity: Richland County

Shopping: Richland County

Physical Beauty: Richland County

Economics: Richland County

Public Schools: Even

Higher Education: Richland County by a landslide

Overall: Richland County in a landslide

The only hope for eastern Lexington County is for West Columbia, Cayce, South Congaree, Irmo and the contingent unincorporated areas is to annex to Columbia. That way, at least their growth will be organized and compatible with the whole area.

Lexington is an interesting area. You have a very rural western part of the county and a very urban eastern part. In my mind tthe two counties are no differernt once you leave the core Columbia/Cayce/ West Cola area.

Similar everything- terrain, growth/sprawl, economy, etc.

Higher edcuation is more of a regional thing, and since Lexington is attached at the hip to Richland, you shouldn't say its worse in that, just becuase the colleges are located in Richland.

Lexington has alot more growing up to do, but they have a direction. Cayce and West Cola need to bee leaders for the county and try to encourage some density.

I also have had the idea that if I buy a house in the Columbia metro, Cayce or West Cola might be a good place to locate (the Avenues comes to mind). Its like having the benefit of living in the City of Columbia without acutally being in it (meaning lower taxes, etc). I understand it to be rather expensive to own a house in Columbia as opposed to Richland county.

So basicly, my vote is Lexington here :)

So basicly, my vote is Lexington here :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Blasphemy!!! *Gathers a mob of Columbians and Richlandnites and prepares to stone Spartan with Lexington grown peaches and watermelons*

I obviously vote for Richland, we've got the most diverse population and all aspects of modern living covered; urban-(semi)dense city core, sprawling surburban fringes, rural/farming area, well preserved/untouched nature areas and everything in between.

Spartan, property taxes are slightly higher inside the city limits, but you get alot more services: better police and fire protection, more reliable garbage pickup, lower water rates, lower homeowner's insurance and you're supporting the central city in the metro.

Spartan, property taxes are slightly higher inside the city limits, but you get alot more services: better police and fire protection, more reliable garbage pickup, lower water rates, lower homeowner's insurance and you're supporting the central city in the metro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good points. I can't really argue with that, other than pointing out that one could argue Cayce and West Cola are less suburban than some parts of Columbia. Cayce and W Cola provide their own water service, so surely it can't be that bad.

My personal preference is Richland - emphasis on the phrase personal preference.

What I like about a metropolitan area, whether Chicago or Washington or Atlanta or Columbia, is "something for everyone". Columbia, as small as it is, pleasantly offers that. Between the City, Forest Acres, NE Richland, Lower Richland, Irmo, Chapin, Lexington, West Cola, Cayce, etc., there's obviously a range of unique communities that offers something to different tastes and preferences. Of course, there are trade-offs, but there always are.

In fact, I've seen the Richland vs. Lexington thing at work in Chicago, Washington, and Atlanta, in terms of the personalities of different regions with a metro area. Living in Richland, to me, is more like living in (suburban) areas that have always felt a natural connection to the core city - like Montgomery County, MD near DC, or DeKalb/North Fulton County near Atlanta, or Northeast Cook and Lake Counties near Chicago. What these areas make up for often higher taxes are good municipal services and sophisticated, pro-urban population.

Lexington reminds me of areas which though of themselves as different/separate from the city core despite their proximity, often due to their rural roots, but suburban/urban growth has brought them to a (sometimes belated) realization that their fate is also tied to the city and a more urban future. The comparable areas include Northern Virginia (particulalry outside the DC Beltway), Cobb and Gwinnett Counties near Georgia, and Northwest Cook and DuPage Counties near Chicago. While these areas may seem culturally less urban and not as pro-city, they are often home to high-growth job areas, have lower taxes, and have just as good schools as the first "group".

Like I said, I definitely prefer Richland, but to each their own. We're all in one metro region.

Chi2Midlands, I like the way you're able to tie in your living experiences in other, larger metropolitan areas to your living experiences in Columbia. If anything, Columbia gets to be grouped with the likes of Chicago here on UP every once in a while. ;)

Well, I just bought a house in Richland County, but if I had been able to do it, I would have bought one in Lexington County. I voted for Lex for several reasons: less crime, better shopping, and (my personal favorite) quick access to a large body of water, i.e. Lake Murray.

I feel safer in Lexington...in Richland, it seems like more bad things happen. Now Northeast Cola is much better, and it seems like a different version of Lexington, but as you go into town, I feel like I have to look behind my back more. I don't know, maybe I'm just more paranoid! ^_^

Well, I just bought a house in Richland County, but if I had been able to do it, I would have bought one in Lexington County. I voted for Lex for several reasons: less crime, better shopping, and (my personal favorite) quick access to a large body of water, i.e. Lake Murray.

I feel safer in Lexington...in Richland, it seems like more bad things happen. Now Northeast Cola is much better, and it seems like a different version of Lexington, but as you go into town, I feel like I have to look behind my back more. I don't know, maybe I'm just more paranoid!

Archived