Boylston Square / Millenium Tower

Cotuit

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this would be a cool project though. it would help to start filling in between the plywood palace and the other taller buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fill in?  It's off by itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BostonFaker is right, this would be off to the west of the existing solitary towers of the Back Bay. Columbus Center is the one that would start to fill in the skyline.

I've always liked the way the Back Bay skyline is punctuated by solitary towers, so I don't have any problem with an extension of that.

I agree with Cotuit... I like the look of the tower alot, and think it'll look good by itself... I'm not thrilled with the ground level, though... From the drawing, the massing looks all wrong for the neighborhood... Kind of 1970's "big institutional building" looking retail area... For those of you who actually know these streets, what do you think?

- Garris

Providence, RI

This is likely not how it will turn out (if it happens). What sunk the previous attempts to build this was massive opposition from NIMBYs to it's size. They do have a point, a 50 story residential tower will add a lot of traffic. However the same applies here as at Columbus Center, the vast majority of the people living here will work Downtown and in Back Bay. They will be taking the T or walking to work, there won't be fifty floors worth of people heading off to work in the morning in their cars from here. In fact, an office tower would probably add worse traffic. Check out the Hancock Garage between 4:30 and 5:30 any weekday for an example.

The developer here was told by the Pike that his option to this site was set to expire and he needed to pay up to renew it, which he did, indicating that there is still interest in developing, especially in light of how hot the Boston condo market has become in the last couple years. We could see an ammended plan to satisfy NIMBYs, but in order to break even on this project, sitting over the Pike the way it does, it has to be pretty big to pay for itself.

Yeah, more cars...

But why aren't people going to take cabs also...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cities are going to have traffic and tall buildings! And isn't more housing stock in the city likely to bring workers closer to their jobs help ease the general problem of rush hour traffic that comes with suburnanites pouring into the city to work?

Cities are going to have traffic and tall buildings!  And isn't more housing stock in the city likely to bring workers closer to their jobs help ease the general problem of rush hour traffic that comes with suburnanites pouring into the city to work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're debating it logically, and it makes sense, but that's just not the way NIMBYs think

Would this project cover up that exposed part of the Turnpike that is partially covered with steel beams? I'm looking at the satellite image from google maps of the Mass Ave and Boylston intersection. I would be happy with just about anything covering that up. It is a a loud and ugly little piece of highway that cuts right under a pedestrian-heavy area. It cost billions and billions of taxpayer money to hide the central artery. But the pike can be covered by private developers.

Would this project cover up that exposed part of the Turnpike that is partially covered with steel beams?  I'm looking at the satellite image from google maps of the Mass Ave and Boylston intersection.  I would be happy with just about anything covering that up.  It is a a loud and ugly little piece of highway that cuts right under a pedestrian-heavy area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the piece in the foreground here would cover that, at least on the north side of Boylston Street.

BoylstonSq002.jpg

Geez, I feel like such an idiot - I used to live 2 blocks from there, and I still can't picture exactly where they are planning it...

Next to/on top of Virgin? Or on the backside of Virgin, so technically it's in between Newbury and Boylston? Or over by Berkeley? I'm sorry, I'm confused, can someone explain the location?

Many thanks!

I hope they can also do something about that sliver of remaining exposed turnpike.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Berklee needs to expand their auditorium, they can't afford to cap the Pike themselves, but the city could get some highway funds to cap it and allow them to expand over that sliver.

Archived