The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

Teshadoh & Lady Celeste..... Thanks your input. It seems the key factor for sustainability is the interest in "living" intown vs. the investors who are flipping for profit. I'm glad to hear there's a strong interest. By the way, are there any discernible differences between midtown and buckhead regarding living preferences in general?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teshadoh & Lady Celeste..... Thanks your input. It seems the key factor for sustainability is the interest in "living" intown vs. the investors who are flipping for profit. I'm glad to hear there's a strong interest. By the way, are there any discernible differences between midtown and buckhead regarding living preferences in general?

You are welcome.

I find the price points is probably the biggest difference between Midtown and Buckhead properties. They are definitely not really competing (with a few exceptions) against each other. They are rather complimentary I would say. I find the average Midtown buyer to be younger than the avearge Buckhead buyer. The condos themselves tend to geared for specific markets. Midtown's condos are more hip (can I still use that word) and Buckhead tends to be more posh. Again, you will have exceptions.

This is just my opinion...I feel that if you are looking for a more walkable environment with varied shopping experiences then Midtown is your place. You will find people sipping coffee outside, joggers and dog walkers walking by and the occassional cyclist. Buckhead is not quite walkable....although it can be done. Also, the shopping options tend to be geared more so towards driving. If you are looking for posh highrise living, larger units, city living with a trees abounding, and exceptional shopping then Buckhead is your place. This is based on a personal comparison of the two markets when I was shopping around 2 to 3 years ago.

What a great use for that lot. I can't wait for them to start construction. The streetscape in those few blocks are going to be great. I am so happy that they are staggering the buildings instead of having them side by side. This will offer many unobstructed views. I'm also glad to see that people's fear about the plazas can be put to rest. The plazas are very human in scale and the Peachtree @ 6th street plaza appears to have an outdoor cafe area. People watching at it's best.

I also see that the Starbucks building is going to remain in it's current form. It's quirly but I feel it is an assest to the community. What is great about this location is that you have a drug store across the street, a coffeehouse next to you, a cafe apparantly in the building, a restaurant and post office (IIRC) in the Metropolis next door and a full grocery store in Plaza Midtown two blocks away. WOW.....this builds an urban environment.

Bring on the cranes. :thumbsup:

Construction is set to begin early next year in two phases. Phase one will be the larger, 43 story tower, followed by the smaller 30 story tower. End date will be sometime in 2010. More info on the project can be seen here:

http://www.atlantaregional.com/qualitygrow...R_7THSTREET.PDF

(I posted this link in the Metro Atlanta Project Tread)

What a great use for that lot. I can't wait for them to start construction. The streetscape in those few blocks are going to be great. I am so happy that they are staggering the buildings instead of having them side by side. This will offer many unobstructed views. I'm also glad to see that people's fear about the plazas can be put to rest. The plazas are very human in scale and the Peachtree @ 6th street plaza appears to have an outdoor cafe area. People watching at it's best.

I also see that the Starbucks building is going to remain in it's current form. It's quirly but I feel it is an assest to the community. What is great about this location is that you have a drug store across the street, a coffeehouse next to you, a cafe apparantly in the building, a restaurant and post office (IIRC) in the Metropolis next door and a full grocery store in Plaza Midtown two blocks away. WOW.....this builds an urban environment.

Yeah apparently, they tried to break the lease with Starbucks but Starbucks refused because the location is too profitable. But at least it looks like theyre getting rid of the Starbucks parking lot entrance from Peachtree, which is a good thing.

Also, I understand that the owners of the other corner at 6th wouldn't sell. The ARC DIR report shows a plaza all the way back to the phase II building, but they were convinced to add more retail. Thus, you have a small plaza.

Yeah, I saw the parking lot with trees. I guess this will force more people to walk to the cofeehouse as opposed to driving. While the outside is a little quirky, the inside atmosphere is always a buzz. I like the life and movement there. I guess business wise it makes sense for Starbucks not to leave. I wonder why they couldn't have been incorporated into the new building?

I wonder how many people will jump from the Spire to this new development? I agree atlmangum, the smaller tower looks exactly like Twelve AS. This tow buildings will definitely do alot to "balance" the look of the Spire. Perhaps they knew all along that they were going to build a glass building across from the Spire so that's why they used so much white concrete on the Spire. They must have wanted to street and buildings to appear to have been designed and built by separate developers. While they didn't succeed, they tried. lol

The smaller tower looks very similar to Twelve AS. Good way to tie in AS together with Midtown. These towers will just add to the skyline in midtown and make Spire look better, since they will be right behind it.

I agree this is really giving this part of the skyline some depth.

The one difference between this and Twelve is the "cat ears" on Twelve are on the corners where as this one is in the center of the building.

I agree Lady Celeste. And don't forget the Office Depot, the bank that will be in Spire, the urban furniture stores right down the street on Peachtree, the myriad of restaraunts within a short walk from this site and whatever other retail establishments that will be going into this building, Spire, Plaza Midtown and 905 Juniper will all be within 3 or 4 blocks.

With this next few developments (next wave if you will ^_^ ), Midtown will no longer be BECOMING a great urban neighborhood, it WILL BE a great urban neighborhood.

Lady Celeste - most importantly isn't the Starbucks (ex-Krystals) is staying but the historic apartment building behind it will be staying & renovated. My favorite aspect of this development is it is a sign of Atlanta's maturation into urbanism - we're finally getting 'infill', not 'overfill'. Meaning, developers are working within the urban context rather than forcing their will on the urban environment - as Portman did with Peachtree Center.

You are right Martinman....and nevermind the fact that the North Avenue and Midtown Marta stations are blocks away as well as Piedmont Park. With Marta, you can be to the airport or Buckhead shopping in minutes....and you will never have to step foot in a car. You can keep your dollars in the community and have a day of shopping at Atlantic Station. If a day at the museum is your forte, you can ride one stop up from Midtown to the Arts Center Station and the High Museum and Woodruff Arts Center are right there.

I feel for someone seeking a urban lifestyle, right here and now, Midtown offers that and more. Development will only further solidify Midtown as a work, live and play community. Once the Beltline is incorporated into the mix, you will have everything you need in one small area.

Lady Celeste - most importantly isn't the Starbucks (ex-Krystals) is staying but the historic apartment building behind it will be staying & renovated. My favorite aspect of this development is it is a sign of Atlanta's maturation into urbanism - we're finally getting 'infill', not 'overfill'. Meaning, developers are working within the urban context rather than forcing their will on the urban environment - as Portman did with Peachtree Center.

I agree with you Teshadoh. For some reason I tend to forget those apartments there. How is beyond me because when you park in the rear parking lot for Starbucks they are right in your face.

While filling in the gaps between downtown and midtown would offer a pretty far away view of the city, I would much rather build a community feel. In order to do this, we must have a blend of community. Tall and shiny is nice to show off but buildings such as the apartments you reference build character. I guess I am glad that they saved the Starbucks. Like I said it's quirky but it makes the streetscape unique. The Juniper view of these apartments will be enhanced by the renovation. Plus they are brick and small in scale, if I'm thinking about the correct apartments, and this will aid the humanistic feel of the street. My hats off to Novare for preserving these gems.

Buckhead is much more suburban then Midtown. Granted, it is high density suburban, but still decidedly car oriented.
I am sorry, but I here people make that statement all the time and as a resident of Metropolis, there's not much down here that is walkable. Basically evertyhing in Midtown you need a car to go to, and Atlanta is a destination city. When I drive up to Buckhead, there is much more going on 24hrs a day, than down here, though I love living in Midtown, I am not going to lie about how much is going on. You also don't have many people walking around after certain hours. If you all want to look 5 years down the road, I pesonally think Buckhead might be crazy with action, because you actually see things being proposed and development started there, than just something being planned. From Piedmont/Peachtree to Lenox/Peachtree is amazing how much is going up and how it is going to change the Atlanta skyline. You probably won't find a single area in the U.S. that has that much development. The former Mayor of Atlanta has stated numerous of times that with his influence, plans to make Buckhead the premier skyline of Atlanta. And if you all watch closely, things of great scale are happennig in Buckhead.

I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen anytime soon.

The biggest threat to overtaking downtown right now is probably Midtown. Buckhead pretty much seems to have a mind of its own.

It's according to what you are talking about. As far as nightlife, that happen at least five years ago. I would like to see all three areas grow. I don't think all the concentration needs to be put in one area. I wish there was a plan to really make the Underground be a hit. There are a lot of opinions from this forum that have great interest in Midtown, which is cool. But if any of you dress trendy, hip, or classy, and upscale, lets face it, you need to go to Buckhead to shop. The best restaurants are still in Buckhead and I don't really see that changing anytime soon. These are some things many of my friends that live down here have come to realized. When you have people to come in town to visit, we are always having to go up there to Buckhead. Yes, you have the park, you have The High Museum of Art, but trust and believe you aren't walking to those places. One of the main things that makes Manhattan, Michigan Ave. (Chicago), is exclusive retail and eatery. You don't have anything close in Downtown and Midtown that can compare to Buckhead. Most of the street level retail they are opening in Midtown are stores that probably won't last 5 years. Some of them are cute, but nothing significant.

It's according to what you are talking about. As far as nightlife, that happen at least five years ago. I would like to see all three areas grow. I don't think all the concentration needs to be put in one area. I wish there was a plan to really make the Underground be a hit. There are a lot of opinions from this forum that have great interest in Midtown, which is cool. But if any of you dress trendy, hip, or classy, and upscale, lets face it, you need to go to Buckhead to shop. The best restaurants are still in Buckhead and I don't really see that changing anytime soon. These are some things many of my friends that live down here have come to realized. When you have people to come in town to visit, we are always having to go up there to Buckhead. Yes, you have the park, you have The High Museum of Art, but trust and believe you aren't walking to those places. One of the main things that makes Manhattan, Michigan Ave. (Chicago), is exclusive retail and eatery. You don't have anything close in Downtown and Midtown that can compare to Buckhead. Most of the street level retail they are opening in Midtown are stores that probably won't last 5 years. Some of them are cute, but nothing significant.

Buckhead will probably beat Midtown and Downtown in terms of nightlife for a while. I was referring to the population of the neighborhoods/districts, though.

I think its not so much that the city is maturing but that there is a new generation of developers that better understand urban development. And unlike the more established local developers, they are in most cases focused exclusively on intown urban infill.

You have Novare (of course), Kim King, Gellerstedt, Greenstreet, Dewberry, a couple of new outfits trying to develop Onyx and Aqua respectively and Im sure there are others. Even the "old guard" has, with mixed results, started to move toward a more urban character in their developments.

Im just thinking for example, if Portman had had a more urban mindset with his massive projects. Id imagine our discussions today about downtown would be totally different.

My favorite is the 3344 building, but I'm not elated about the site. It's a bit too crowded there already. Although, the building has nice lines and it will be visible coming up P'tree at the curve.

Has anybody heard who the main office tenant(s) will be?

My favorite is the 3344 building, but I'm not elated about the site. It's a bit too crowded there already. Although, the building has nice lines and it will be visible coming up P'tree at the curve.

No, but it was said that they had companies trying to get office space in there and they were not mentioning who had already signed.

Also the developer has said that he can start the building without a signed office tenant so they may not even have any signed yet. I guess the residential component, which will be the top 21 floors, makes this possible.

Archived