The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

Wow, the skyline is really mushrooming yet again. After a brief slowdown, it has sprouted again. Once all this is built, it won't even appear to be the same city. I read a developer quoted one time as saying that some day downtown and midtown will not be distinguishable as they fill in between them. Someday the "skyline" will stretch unbroken from Buckhead to Turner Field.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyhow, I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about the overall plans for the 14th St corridor. The Hampton Inn is being demolished now, I assume the old Wolf Camera is next. Are these demolitions only for the 14th St. widening or are there high-rises in the works as well? I think this corridor will change dramatically over the next 10 years.

Ok. Wow. Drama in the urbanplanet.

SkyscraperPage gives me a headache - I don't like how it's laid out. Urbanplanet has a much better layout. With that said, SkyscraperPage does get a TON more volume. Oh well - quality over quantity.

Anyhow, I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about the overall plans for the 14th St corridor. The Hampton Inn is being demolished now, I assume the old Wolf Camera is next. Are these demolitions only for the 14th St. widening or are there high-rises in the works as well? I think this corridor will change dramatically over the next 10 years.

I've cleaned up all the junk on this thread and handed out one warning. Please stay on topic. This is not the thread to discuss people's tag lines, political affiliations, or beliefs on global warming. Please visit the coffee house if you have the urge to discuss those topics.

Only because they added a 90ft' pencil (obelisk) on top of the caged spire; then yes BOA is taller. However the Chase Tower in Houston at 1,002 ft. (75 stories) and US Bank Tower in L.A. 1,018ft (73-stories) are much more impressive and considered taller by many. No pencil nessesary. BOA in Atlanta is 55-stories. If you stood them all side by side it would be VERY noticeable.

It's like the Petronis Towers in Malayasia saying they are are taller than Sears Tower in Chicago. No way!

Not trying to start any trouble. Atlanta has some really nice and impressive high-rise buildings :thumbsup:

Only because they added a 90ft' pencil (obelisk) on top of the caged spire; then yes BOA is taller. However the Chase Tower in Houston at 1,002 ft. (75 stories) and US Bank Tower in L.A. 1,018ft (73-stories) are much more impressive and considered taller by many. No pencil nessesary. BOA in Atlanta is 55-stories. If you stood them all side by side it would be VERY noticeable.

It's like the Petronis Towers in Malayasia saying they are are taller than Sears Tower in Chicago. No way!

Not trying to start any trouble. Atlanta has some really nice and impressive high-rise buildings :thumbsup:

Okay, I think enough is enough here. I'm going to lock this thread.

Because this thread has been so popular, I will give an explanation.

It was a great idea at first, but the number of highrises being proposed and built in each of Atlanta's major districts (Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead) has made this thread very messy and disorganized. Fixing this situation is something that has been brought up before by the moderators, and I'm going to do what I can to take care of it. I'll be moving a few of the better recent posts into district-specific threads before getting rid of this thread.

Beyond all that, though, it seems that this thread has become a hotbed for off-topic discussion, particularly on some pretty sensitive subjects. The situation apparently had gotten so bad that my fellow moderator atlrvr has had to do some clean up work here. Please save any off-topic discussion for either our Atlanta Coffeehouse or UrbanPlanet's General Coffeehouse.

Also, I'm sure most of us here are tired of arguments about what the Bank of America building's actual height is. That is not the sort of quality of discussion that benefits the forum, so please take it elsewhere or just don't post it.

I will be unpinning this topic and pinning some new district-specific threads for Buckhead, Midtown, and Downtown in its place. For any other major projects going on in Atlanta outside of these three districts, I will create a separate thread. Threads for other neighborhoods and districts may come in time as interest in those places builds (or you can start one, if you like).

Please direct any questions you may have to my PM (Private Message) box.

I thank you for understanding.

--ironchapman, your forum moderator. :)

Archived