The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

Say hello to Atlanta's second tallest! :shades: It was only a matter of time before Midtown could rival Downtown....the torch has been passed.

When you say second tallest, how so?

I don't think that 785' will make this building taller than the Suntrust Plaza, One Atlantic Center or 191 Peachtree. I could be wrong but I know it's not going to be Atlanta's second tallest.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you say second tallest, how so?

I don't think that 785' will make this building taller than the Suntrust Plaza, One Atlantic Center or 191 Peachtree. I could be wrong but I know it's not going to be Atlanta's second tallest.

From what I remember Atlanta's tallest is BOA at about 1,000 ft and it's second tallest is Sun Trust Plaza at about 650 ft. I'll check Emporis and see if i'm right.

From what I remember Atlanta's tallest is BOA at about 1,000 ft and it's second tallest is Sun Trust Plaza at about 650 ft. I'll check Emporis and see if i'm right.

Actually, SunTrust is over 850 feet.

Here's the list (from my profile, but that info came from Emporis).

Ten Tallest Buildings:

(Rank. Building Name, Height, Year Completed)

1. Bank of America Plaza, 1,023 ft, 1992

2. SunTrust Plaza, 871 ft, 1992

3. One Atlantic Center, 820 ft, 1987

4. 191 Peachtree Tower, 770 ft, 1987

5. Westin Peachtree Plaza, 723 ft, 1976

6. Georgia Pacific Tower, 697 ft, 1981

7. Promenade II, 691 ft, 1989

8. BellSouth Building, 677 ft, 1980

9. 1180 Peachtree, 198 m, 2006

10. GLG Grand/ Four seasons Hotel, 609 ft, 1992

Actually, SunTrust is over 850 feet.

Here's the list (from my profile, but that info came from Emporis).

Ten Tallest Buildings:

(Rank. Building Name, Height, Year Completed)

1. Bank of America Plaza, 1,023 ft, 1992

2. SunTrust Plaza, 871 ft, 1992

3. One Atlantic Center, 820 ft, 1987

4. 191 Peachtree Tower, 770 ft, 1987

5. Westin Peachtree Plaza, 723 ft, 1976

6. Georgia Pacific Tower, 697 ft, 1981

7. Promenade II, 691 ft, 1989

8. BellSouth Building, 677 ft, 1980

9. 1180 Peachtree, 198 m, 2006

10. GLG Grand/ Four seasons Hotel, 609 ft, 1992

Wow, it's been 13 years since a tower has gone up in downtown Atlanta? And the two before that were 18 and 24 years ago? Somehow it seems like more building has been going on than that, but I guess it has happened in other parts of town.

Wow, it's been 13 years since a tower has gone up in downtown Atlanta? And the two before that were 18 and 24 years ago? Somehow it seems like more building has been going on than that, but I guess it has happened in other parts of town.

Actually, that's from anywhere in Atlanta, not just downtown. Apparently most of the building going on was for smaller buildings.

Still, 785' feet is quite impressive. We'll have to see if those people from SSP are correct (I hope they are).

Nope, it will be a 755' & 58 floors.

But I'm surprised no one is mentioning the 16 st tower which is under review, 31 floors. This will be an Atlantic Station influenced non-Atlantic Station condo tower between 14th & AS along the freeway exit. It will be finished within 3 years.

But I'm surprised no one is mentioning the 16 st tower which is under review, 31 floors. This will be an Atlantic Station influenced non-Atlantic Station condo tower between 14th & AS along the freeway exit. It will be finished within 3 years.

Any ideas on how tall it will be or renderings released yet?

I haven't heard anything about this project since the first news of it emerged. Is it still planned to include a grocery store?

^ I admit I haven't heard much of it either in the news, but it has gone through ARC DRI review. Which I assume if it has gone that far it must be somewhat legit. Not sure about what retail is included though - but otherwise I don't know much about it besides it passing ARC's DRI review.

^^Seems to be going through the process "under the radar" as Novare and AS dominates the media and forum attention. I do remember that Wood Partners, who joint-venture with Novare on some projects, is the developer so I'm sure its a "real" project.

Which makes me think of how incredibly prolific Novare is. It seems as if they churn out projects so fast that it doesn't leave much room for others to break into the market.

^ Good point, they are incorporating the Walmart / McDonalds / Starbucks pattern of oversaturating the market, & sitting on losses for a short while. But in the long term they will have a large cut of the condo market. Or they are developing a 'brand', that when people think of condos they lok to Novare, just as many people think of Post first when they want an apartment.

Which makes me think of how incredibly prolific Novare is. It seems as if they churn out projects so fast that it doesn't leave much room for others to break into the market.

Novare is the McDonalds of High Rise Condos. Their entrance to the Charlotte market is only going to expand their portfolio of high rise projects in the SE. I would love to see their incoming revenues. Teshadoh, do you know if Novare is big into rentals in ATL? I know they dominate the condo scene there. A lot of speculation is that there is soon going to be a shift to aprtment towers in CLT. My thoughts are that it will be the same in ATL as Interest rates go higher over the next three to five years. If Novare is heavily leveraged in the condo market, then they might want to shift focus to high rise aprtment towers.

A2

Novare is the McDonalds of High Rise Condos. Their entrance to the Charlotte market is only going to expand their portfolio of high rise projects in the SE. I would love to see their incoming revenues. Teshadoh, do you know if Novare is big into rentals in ATL? I know they dominate the condo scene there. A lot of speculation is that there is soon going to be a shift to aprtment towers in CLT. My thoughts are that it will be the same in ATL as Interest rates go higher over the next three to five years. If Novare is heavily leveraged in the condo market, then they might want to shift focus to high rise aprtment towers.

A2

In Metropolis, one of their first new construction projects they planned one tower as condos and one as apts. It sold so well that they made them both condos and they haven't looked back since. I don't think any of their projects is rentals, at least not in ATL.

IN fact, in Atlanta many of the existing intown rentals have recently converted to condos, especially in the MIdtown market.

In Metropolis, one of their first new construction projects they planned one tower as condos and one as apts. It sold so well that they made them both condos and they haven't looked back since. I don't think any of their projects is rentals, at least not in ATL.

IN fact, in Atlanta many of the existing intown rentals have recently converted to condos, especially in the MIdtown market.

That seems to be the trend in a lot of cities (including Charlotte). Because of that we have almost NO rental vacancies in Uptown. I am sure that is the same case in Atlanta. I think that Novare might shift when the market shifts JMHO. You have to stay nimble to stay ahead. No what I mean.

A2

I'm confused. Isn't 615 Peachtree the Wachovia building on the corner of North Ave? Are they demolishing it? What are you talking about?

It was reported a few months ago that Cousins Properties has "tentative" plans to demolish the building redevelop the site with a residential tower somewhere around 40 stories.

And now I hear that the Wachovia branch is giving notice to its customers that its closing "due to circumstances beyond our control".

^ I missed that - I can understand wanting a high profile location, but this is maddening. Theoretically - developers in Atlanta could build a brand new city on just parking lots & vacant land, there is still plenty of that, including Peachtree St.

While I totally understand their choice of locations, I totally agree with Brad here. You can go a few blocks east on North Ave and place the same building. Or you could get rid of that awful parking lot right as you cross the downtown connector heading north on Peachtree to your left. I think it's the corner of Peachtree and Pine. You would still get pretty good exposure at this location. Why not branch off of Peachtree deeper into the now known "SoNo" district. Put this tower closer to the Publix in the former Rio location.

Oh well, that's my griping moment. I feel better now.

The website for Aqua Midtown is up. Doesn't have much info, though, but it diffently looks like this project will be taking off soon. :D

www.aquamidtown.com

Does anyone have any other info on this?

Aqua will be next to Plaza Midtown. They have a "coming soon" sign on the site now. Anyway there was a little info about it in the paper a few weeks ago....

-a 24 story, 48-unit luxury condominium on the southwest corner of West Peachtree and 10th streets

-all units in Aqua will have direct access by elevator

-averaging 1,800 square feet, from around $250,000

Thats just two units per floor and the direct access from the elevator, something thats popular in Miami, is their big selling point.

-averaging 1,800 square feet, from around $250,000

Thats just two units per floor and the direct access from the elevator, something thats popular in Miami, is their big selling point.

Wow, that's an incredibly good deal! If you can snag 1,800 square feet in the $250,000 range you are way ahead of the curve. I remember being told eight or ten years ago that condos in the city averaged $250 per square foot, which bring units like this to nearly twice that much.

On Aqua...several insiders in the biz have mentioned to me privately that they do not believe Aqua will ever break groud...hopefully they are wrong.

On the condo tower at the corner of Fowler and 16th street, the developers have pulled the zoning variance request after the Home Park Civic Association voted to oppose their application for a variance. They feel that site is too close to the existing single family homes to construct a 24-31 (not sure of the exact height) story tower. As far as I know that project is postponed until further notice.

The big news is the info I got on Twelve 14th Street. This is the proposed tower on 14th & W. Peachtree. The tower will be 55 stories tall reaching a height of 750 feet (give or take). It will contain 30,000 sq feet of street leval retail, 150 Hotel rooms, 350,000 sq feet of Class A office space, and 380 Condo units. Total sq footage of the building will be 1.2 million sq feet and contain 1700 parking spaces. The project will take up the entire block bounded by W Peaqchtree, Spring, 14th and 13th. Although it wil be a modernist tower...think 1180 Peachtree...it will look significantly different then most of Novare's other projects. I think the inclusion of the office space is driving the changes from what they normally do.

The IBM tower will still be the tallest building in Midtown, but not by much. This will be a MAJOR addition to the Midtown, indeed Atlanta, skyline.

Archived