NCSU's Centennial & Biotech Campuses

orulz

^The state legislature and private donations. There won't be any opposition from the legislature as this will be the official monument to Hunt. Also, the Emerging Issues Think Tank will be based out of this building which has strong support from the NC politicos.

There was $17 million for the library in this year's budget that passed in August.

While taking Centennial Parkway to the Farmers' Market, I saw a strip of red clay south of the lake, kind of near the new Alumni building. I think that is where the new golf course was supposed to go, but didn't get close enough to see if that was the project there, or if it was other construction.

With the warm weather, I might bike down to the greenway and over that way some night this week.

While taking Centennial Parkway to the Farmers' Market, I saw a strip of red clay south of the lake, kind of near the new Alumni building. I think that is where the new golf course was supposed to go, but didn't get close enough to see if that was the project there, or if it was other construction.

With the warm weather, I might bike down to the greenway and over that way some night this week.

You'd be right in your assumptions. That is going to be golf course country. They have a big sign up as you turn onto Main Campus Drive out of the Alumni Center driveway. It's on the right side of the road heading toward the lake. If what I said doesn't make sense, just get on Main Campus Drive, head toward the lake, and keep going until MCD dead-ends. Make a u-turn and the sign will be on the right. :silly:

• 2 weeks later...

^ There are people living out there. IIRC, further phases of the project were held up by a lawsuit between Craig Davis and a builder/developer.

ULI is holding an event to discuss projects in and around NCSU's Main & Centennial Campus, but also to include the Hillsborough St roundabout & streetscape project. Let's hope the university is thinking about unloading or redeveloping some of their parcels on the street, such as the Brooks Ave lot and North Hall near Sadlacks. I also hope Centenial can begin to develop with more of a pedestrian-oriented design... people focused, convenient retail, residential (dorms!), reduced surface parking, sustainable design, etc.

^ There are people living out there. IIRC, further phases of the project were held up by a lawsuit between Craig Davis and a builder/developer.

ULI is holding an event to discuss projects in and around NCSU's Main & Centennial Campus, but also to include the Hillsborough St roundabout & streetscape project. Let's hope the university is thinking about unloading or redeveloping some of their parcels on the street, such as the Brooks Ave lot and North Hall near Sadlacks. I also hope Centenial can begin to develop with more of a pedestrian-oriented design... people focused, convenient retail, residential (dorms!), reduced surface parking, sustainable design, etc.

Regarding NC State selling off land, unless the University system has some exception I don't know about, everything NC State owns is property of the state, and selling property of the state requires a vote of the Council of State (basically, the Governor, Lt. Gov, and the other various statewide elected officers such as Att. General, Sec. of Agriculture, etc.)

Regarding NC State selling off land, unless the University system has some exception I don't know about, everything NC State owns is property of the state, and selling property of the state requires a vote of the Council of State (basically, the Governor, Lt. Gov, and the other various statewide elected officers such as Att. General, Sec. of Agriculture, etc.)

Yeah, I think on matters University-related, UNC, State, etc, tend to get what they want though. I don't care if they sell it or not--I just want to see it redeveloped. IMO there is no excuse for the University to sit idly by while the city redoes the street, and NCSU does nothing to make it successful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

NCSU has started the Advanced Transportation Energy Center (ATEC) on Centennial Campus. Its pretty ironic how Raleigh is so far behind the curve in alternative transportation but will have the center in its confines-I guess it just shows the complete disconnect between academia and the city.

Edited by DanRNC

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know the plan early on was to get larger companies to build their own buildings, i.e. ABB and later Lucent, which is now Red Hat's HQ.

The Venture buildings were built for companies, agencies, etc. that didn't want a whole building but wanted some presence on Centennial Campus. For whatever reason, that stopped a few years ago, around the time the engineering school started building on/around the oval.

I drove through last night and there is a sign for Alliance I across the street from Red Hat HQ, the last sizable chunk of land on that part of campus. They will have to start building closer to the lake or the far side of the oval if they want to preserve the oval itself for university classrooms, offices, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this center will be better designed than the BTEC (which is on Oval Drive right in front of the Engineering buildings). That building is ugly and uninviting from all four sides. It's set back way too far from Oval Drive, and has a completely blank wall (minus the loading dock) facing Partners Way.