NCSU's Centennial & Biotech Campuses

orulz

• 3 weeks later...

its about time they start construction on this. this has been on the drawing board for years. i believe palmer's group designed the course in 1999. it was embarrassing that ncsu didn't have a campus golf course.

The university does have a golf course out by the Vet School. It's called University Club, but it's not maintained well.

The University Club is really an embarrassment, and they'd be smart to relocate to Centennial once the new golf course is done in 2009, and they will find another use for that land by 440. I'd guess it would go to the Vet school, given the new biotech campus is going to infringe on existing Vet School land.

I think the Universtity Club's "golf course" is a short par 3/pitch-and-putt/"executive" course? It might only have nine holes as well.

The NC State golf team doesn't play "home" matches there, the way UNC plays at Finley and Duke plays on theirs.

With the Alumni center moving to Centennial, the University Club will move too. They have done little to upgrade those facilities.

It used to be the "Faculty Club" but not enough faculty wanted to be members. They opened membership to alumni to make ends meet. I went there once to look at their reception hall, but it felt like Bushwood from Caddyshack, with few changes made since the 70s.

The Vet Schoo/biotech campus will make better use of the land, especially if the cows could be moved further east and the Hillsborough/Blue Ridge corner near the TTA stop was more urban!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

David Bracken, Staff Writer

RALEIGH - When John Gehringer caught a 7-inch bluegill in Lake Raleigh on Saturday morning, it was a long time coming.

Not for 8-year-old John, a savvy fisherman used to such triumphs, but for the lake.

Since Hurricane Fran destroyed Lake Raleigh's dam in 1996 and drained, the lake has largely been off-limits to the public. That changed Saturday, as N.C. State University and the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission officially re-opened the 90-acre lake as a public boating and fishing spot with three piers.

Located on NCSU's Centennial Campus, the lake is home to a variety of fish, including largemouth bass and catfish. A new boat ramp allows people to launch canoes, kayaks and any other watercraft not powered by gasoline.

Lake Raleigh's return to prominence might surprise those who know its history. Built in 1912, the lake was used as a water supply for the city until the mid-1980s. Following Fran, the lake remained a mud pit until it was refilled in 2001.

A cluster of townhouses and condos has since been built along the shore, and plans for Centennial Campus call for more development near the fishing piers.

The piers and an access road were built using a $130,000 federal grant. Tom Covington, who oversaw construction for the state wildlife commission, said the project was built with the knowledge that in 15 or 20 years, it might be replaced.

"Hopefully, now that it's here, people will want to keep it," Covington said.

The lake is meant to be used for recreation, research and education by NCSU students and the public.

Saturday's event catered to young and inexperienced anglers, though you wouldn't know it from all the fish being caught.

"This is my first time fishing, except for catching a car," said McKenna Cabot, 9, who said her previous experience involved borrowing a neighbor's Barbie fishing line and deploying it in her driveway.

Even more experienced fishermen, such as John Gehringer, were impressed with Lake Raleigh.

"I like it here," he said. "I think I'm going to fish here a lot."

source: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/607110.html

I stopped by today to check things out and there were quite a few people there. There are only about 8 parking spots and they were all full, which is my only gripe. There's a ton of parking along Campus Drive however. I didn't have my camera with me, but I'm going to try and take some pictures and post them. It really looks great to see it open again! Going to break out the tackle box this week and see what I can get there. :D

That's cool about the lake. I was in school when Fran came and knocked out the dam...

NCSU's Centennial Biotech campus and Vet School expansion is moving forward with the first Vet Bldg groundbreaking this summer. I hope they will be putting up sidewalks and curb along Blue Ridge... it needs it. From the master plan, it doesn't look like there will be anything urban (TTA Fairgrounds Station as proposed is nearby) near the Hilsborough/Blue Ridge intersection.

20070618_vetschool.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

its about time they start construction on this. this has been on the drawing board for years. i believe palmer's group designed the course in 1999. it was embarrassing that ncsu didn't have a campus golf course.

FYI, the golf course groundbreaking is today, with Arnold Palmer in attendance to hit the first tee shot. At the bottom of the linked page, you can see a pdf of the course layout... 7,000+ yd, par 71 course, and yes it will be open to the public, although it will probably be like Finley at UNC, which means prohibitively expensive for the average hacker.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The architect for the new Jim Hunt Library was announed this week, and they are a high-profile type from Norway, Snohetta. There is an article with maps and images posted on newraleigh.com found here.

Hopefully this building will be special, because everything on Centennial Campus, so far looks the same. In fact there aren't very many good buildings on all of State's campus. Jordan hall is pretty cool, for a Louis Khan rip-off. Leazer Hall is probably the best by far, after the renovation done by Cannon Architects. Poe, Haroldson, and DH Hill are nightmares.

Here is the TBJ article. This promises to be a really nice addition to the campus if the architect is allowed some artistic freedom. I agree that most of Centennial is stark and uninviting at this point (dorms? hello?) Maybe the new library will change the trend from a design prespective. I wonder if it wil be LEED certified? Also, who's going to pay for this $114M?

cent_map1.jpg

As far as people living on Centennial, there could be a connection to University Apartments, but the Tammy Lynn Center will probably never go for it, as that would make another "cut through" from Avent Ferry to Centennial. The townhouses are mired in a financing/contractor dispute, tying that up for years. A set of 10 story condos set back off the lake would offer nice views withouth "cluttering" the land near the lake itself. To say nothing of upperclassmen/grad student residential options, but that will never happen.

It is interesting to see the monorail line is still planned on Centennial's map, the double line between Partners I and the Oval.