NCSU's Centennial & Biotech Campuses

orulz

I work at State and I heard at a meeting recently that they're supposed to start Pullen to Oval very soon.

For those curious, you should know this isn't going to be a "straight shot" of Pullen directly to Oval Drive at Centennial Parkway.  Pullen is going to be extended to Bilyeu Street.  Oval will then be extended Northeast toward that intersection which will be a traffic circle.  Here's a lovely illustration from Facilities, where Pullen is the North-South road square in the center of this image.  The road going South from the traffic circle mostly appears to be a realigned Barbour Drive:

lnYEzWv.jpg

Edited by DPK

Yeah, not entirely sure, however there might be a push/venture between the church/state to complete the connection sooner rather than later.  Otherwise you are going to have people basically cutting through the churches parking lots from Centennial to get to Western:

rhR5VWd.png

I think that extending Pullen will probably also involve converting Pullen/Western from a half interchange into a full interchange. I do not think that such a project is on DOT's radar at all.

Well, using Bilyeu/Ashe and Nazareth as the foci, there is almost a super interchange in place...perhaps it'll be fine as is...?

Edited by Jones_

Looks like I was right regarding shared costs:

http://www.wral.com/study-provides-map-for-southwest-raleigh-development/14596878/

Approved the extension of Pullen Drive from Western Boulevard to Centennial Parkway. The two-year project is expected to help ease congestion once the Catholic Diocese of Raleigh builds a nearby cathedral. The diocese and North Carolina State University are splitting the $3 million cost.

Per the Centennial Campus Development Office website:  http://development.centennial.ncsu.edu/current-projects/

Current Projects on Centennial Campus

Alliance CenterConstruction is underway for the new 145,000 square foot office building with structured parking.  The projected completion date is Spring 2015.

North ShoreThe newest phase of residential townhomes on Centennial Campus is scheduled to begin construction this Spring.

StateView Hotel and Conference Center  - A new hotel and conference facility that will operate under the Marriott Autograph Collection franchise is coming to Centennial Campus.  The hotel will overlook Lake Raleigh and sit adjacent to the Park Alumni Center.  Construction on the new facility will begin in the Spring of 2015 and is projected to open in the Summer of 2016 with 164 rooms and 9,000 square feet of meeting space.

Hotel-Rendering-2-2015.jpg

Center for Technology and Innovation - Design is underway on the new 77,500 square foot building that will include the Nonwoven Product Pilot Facility and 41,000 square feet of office space.  Construction is expected to begin in May 2015 with a projected completion in July 2016.

Textiles-Innovation-Center.jpg

(SW corner of Main Campus Dr. & Research Dr.)

For those curious, you should know this isn't going to be a "straight shot" of Pullen directly to Oval Drive at Centennial Parkway.  Pullen is going to be extended to Bilyeu Street.  Oval will then be extended Northeast toward that intersection which will be a traffic circle.  Here's a lovely illustration from Facilities, where Pullen is the North-South road square in the center of this image.  The road going South from the traffic circle mostly appears to be a realigned Barbour Drive:

lnYEzWv.jpg

is it just me, or does this road extension recreate the old "Avent Ford Road" that we see on really old maps of the area? (Avent Ferry being squared up with Merrill Drive is a post 1950's realignment--Is it Ashe Avenue up to Hillsborough that was the original Avent Ford Road?

^

Thanks.  It looks like this "new" road will probably be built right on the original road bed of Avent Ferry.  Thanks for the cross reference.  I had always thought Avent Ferry was a crossing of Swift Creek.  But if you look at Google maps, you can  trace its path all the way down to the Cape Fear.  You can see where part of Jones Franklin north and south of Tryon clearly used to be Avent Ferry.

Edited by JeffC

Yes, Avent Peeled off just west of the Cameron Residence and went past the Ruffin Cox residence along what is now Ashe Ave. I believe that hook in Ashe back east in front of the Pullen Park entrance, is a vestige of Avent Ferry as it switched back up the hill along what is now Bilyeu St. Bilyeu has a continuation up into the woods that is the original road bed and probably was in use until Western Blvd was built and a newer alignment of a Avent Ferry was laid just west and is now a greenway bike path. This road was still striped and has working sewers under it and emerged immediately adjacent to the Cardinal Gibbons baseball field. I haven't looked, but it looks like this later, western road is gone by now, but the oldest dirt path in the woods is part of NCSU land that was part of Dix and is intact. Its not terribly interesting to look at unless you like tracing out old roads like I do for some reason...

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Whoa.  NCSU just advertised a RFQ for mixed use development at Centennial Campus for more than 17 acres!  Right at the entrance with the Pullen Drive extension.  Also, gives hope for future development along Centennial Pkwy to help activate the edges of the future Dix park.

centennial rfq.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/1/2017 at 2:51 PM, Green_man said:

Whoa.  NCSU just advertised a RFQ for mixed use development at Centennial Campus for more than 17 acres!  Right at the entrance with the Pullen Drive extension.  Also, gives hope for future development along Centennial Pkwy to help activate the edges of the future Dix park.

centennial rfq.jpg

Sorta overlooked this news, but last month NCSU awarded this deal to Wexford, the company which did the Chesterfield building in Durham among others. The article below says it's 32 acres. Construction could begin next year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/03/06/n-c-state-picks-developer-for-32-acre-centennial.html

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...