Mayor Bob's speach to the Rotary Club, 2005-07-18

Doug L

I approve of Mayor Bob's speach  

11 members have voted

1. 1. I approve of Mayor Bob's speach

• I agree
    • I do not agree

The speech posted below, made by our Mayor last Monday left an extremely posetive impression me. I'd like to have your opinions.

This speech was taken dircetly off of the Mayor's website which makes no mention that I could find of any copyrites.

Columbia

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob ain't full-time????????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. The mayor of Columbia only makes like $17K a year as a part time job. The City Manager is the full time position and they handle the administrative duties. Bob has 6 kids and he is an attorney when he isn't "Mayoring". :) This is one of the reasons I have a distaste for the amount of criticism he receives.

An excerpt from Bob's speech:

Fortunately we are ahead of many other communities in the all-important quality of life category. The ingredients are here. We must do a better job of packaging and communicating these wonderful quality of life assets.

Gosh, I've only been saying this, like, 5011 times....LOL.

The Council-Manager form of government (which Columbia has) is common for Southern cities of all sizes. Making The Mayor full-time would mean eliminating the city manager position. That would put all the mundane day-to-day stuff on the mayor. If you think he doesn't have enough time now, wait until he has to deal with the operating budget every day, or contend with water main breaks, petty requests from the city councilmen, controlling all the department heads,etc.

Greenville's Mayor is part-time and he is a lawyer with kids too. The Greenville budget is slightly larger than Columbia's despite the population difference. He is not pushing for a change of government and/or more authority.

Coble is right to preach from the bully pulpit on how Columbia needs to focus on the "new economy", but the heavy lifting on the details can and should be carried out by the economic development/chamber type folks. Coble needs to be a voice for it, and lead the city to contribute it's part. Anything beyond that, then he is doing someone else's job.

I agree with most of the speech, but it seems to me that the Mayor is depending too much on the research campus to boost Columbia's economy.

Bob has 6 kids and he is an attorney when he isn't "Mayoring". :) This is one of the reasons I have a distaste for the amount of criticism he receives.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bob Coble has six kids! They're all adults right?

I wouldn't say that he's over-dependent on the research campus, but it is a rather promising prospect. There aren't any new prospects, economically speaking, that are available to the city; with the research campus, the city of Columbia, as well as the entire state of SC, is beginning to establish itself within the field of automotive/alternative fuel research. Also, Columbia's economy is already somewhat diversified (state gov't, USC, Ft. Jackson, insurance companies), and the research campus will give it the high-tech profile that it really needs to make it competitive in a post-industrial economy.

I agree with most of the speech, but it seems to me that the Mayor is depending too much on the research campus to boost Columbia's economy.

Bob Coble has six kids! They're all adults right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, the oldest might be close to college age

Archived