The Grand River?! You mean GR has a River?

GR_Urbanist

• 5 weeks later...

22 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Zig zags make everything better. 

Yeah, this is kind of ridiculous when you consider the cost vs. improvement. All they've really done is make the dock at water level into a zig-zag and then approach to it a ramp instead of those stairs...but honestly this doesn't jump out to me as any more "interactive" or "accessible" to/with the water than it already is...to borrow their language throughout this process. 

Did they look at every other mid to large size city that straddles a river, see what they've done to successfully rejuvenate their riverfront space and then say, "a zig zag walkway is the best solution!"?  It's not like this is uncharted territory.  There have to be tons of lessons out there on what has worked and what hasn't.

7 hours ago, wingbert said:

Did they look at every other mid to large size city that straddles a river, see what they've done to successfully rejuvenate their riverfront space and then say, "a zig zag walkway is the best solution!"?  It's not like this is uncharted territory.  There have to be tons of lessons out there on what has worked and what hasn't.

Even the zig zag 3d perspective is off. It looks like it tilts toward the river in that one portion, dumping pedestrians right into the drink. 

Good thing a high priced national firm was brought in to work on this. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone know who the mysterious "Unit 7" owner is and how that unit ended up with river frontage at Plaza Towers? City's filing an eminent domain lawsuit because negotiations have stalled to purchase the property.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/09/grand_rapids_to_use_eminent_do.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2017 at 8:13 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Anyone know who the mysterious "Unit 7" owner is and how that unit ended up with river frontage at Plaza Towers? City's filing an eminent domain lawsuit because negotiations have stalled to purchase the property.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/09/grand_rapids_to_use_eminent_do.html

I think "unit 7" is the Condo Owners association

1 hour ago, scottythe1nonly said:

I think "unit 7" is the Condo Owners association

Yes, I found that out later. And they're entangled in a big lawsuit with the city from the big flood, and the floodwall that is part of the lower levels of the parking ramp that was breached with water. 

• 2 months later...

In the context of the rapids restoration project, a few days ago Mlive published this very good article about the history of the rapids:

grand river rapids

I am a little surprised no one posted it already (maybe they did somewhere else and I missed it.) 

One interesting thing is that there is a photo of an almost dry Grand River before the dams were built.  The story says that so much water was diverted for power plants that in the summer there wasn't much water flowing in the river until retention dams were built.  I wonder if this would be a problem again if all the dams were removed.

An Mlive commenter  on the article actually had something useful to add and that was this link to an old magazine article about the great log jam of 1883:

STORY OF ONE OF THE MOST TERRIFIC BATTLES IN THE HISTORY OF AMERICAN INDUSTRY

You may recognize the railroad bridge behind the old Baker Furniture factory on Ann Street where the jam broke through.  The current iron bridge looks like an identical replacement.

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, tSlater said:

Same. And under the highway feels so perfect for a skate park, too. I don't even skate and I'm pretty excited about that.

The whole thing looks pretty excellent.

Agreed.  Some of that neon colored down lighting under the freeway to light the skate park at night would be perfect.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Now all they have to do is to do something about that power substation . It's pretty weird to have that sticking out between a park the event pavilion.  Why is this even there?

At least try to shield it.

If I'm not mistaken, at one time, there were plans to remove it.   It's amazing what we put on the river in the 20th century, parking lots and substations.  It really does need to go....WOS!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tSlater said:

Same. And under the highway feels so perfect for a skate park, too. I don't even skate and I'm pretty excited about that.

The whole thing looks pretty excellent.

Agreed!   Boston has a great skate park under a freeway.   When I was there last, it was very busy.  

boston-charlesriverskateaparkskatepark.jpg

Skate-Park.jpg

3 hours ago, discgrab21 said:

Burside skate park in Portland is the most prominent example I know of.

Burnside is a super grity DIY park that has been there for decades. The neighborhood surrounding the park has really developed and is putting pressure on the city to curb some of the wildness and rawness of Burnside. Its interesting to watch that situation unfold. 

Shred the gnar!