The Grand River?! You mean GR has a River?

GR_Urbanist

8 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I picked #2

It's my wayfinding sign geek side calling me to love this. I love the bold, easy to read typeface and the mix of material (concrete and wood), and a compact profile.

Submission%202.jpg

#5 was a close 2nd, but it's size may be too big for some of the tiny parks, like Cherry Park.

Those aspects I like but the overlapping boxes is really hot right now (with signs, buildings, design, etc) and I feel like it will look dated in a few years. 

I like #5 for its classic look. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Kent County may pitch in $1.4 Million for 3 years for the rapids restoration project. The fleecing continues. :P  "Restoring the rapids will take away from  other competing businesses, like kayaking companies on the Rogue River," say those who object.

(That was totally in jest, no one is saying that). :)

https://www.grbj.com/articles/92184-county-eyes-14-million-for-river-restoration

• Haha 2

On 11/14/2018 at 10:34 AM, ctpgr34 said:

Thought since we are talking about parks, this might be a good spot to add this.  It's the finalists for the park signs, you can vote here-https://www.grandrapidsmi.gov/Shortcut-Content/News-Media/City-invites-public-to-vote-on-park-sign-designs

The results are in........

https://www.grandrapidsmi.gov/Shortcut-Content/News-Media/City-unveils-winning-park-sign-design

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Looks like the Rapids got some funding, a new CEO(?), and a bit of a delay due to the government shutdown:

https://mibiz.com/sections/economic-development/grand-rapids-whitewater-secures-4-4-million-in-new-funding-names-new-ceo

Joe

Interesting that this Bishop guy who was brought on board because of past experience with similar projects is out.    Did they get everything they needed from Bishop, and decided it was time to install someone who could get to the job of raising some serious money because Heacock is tight with the deep pockets of West Michigan?    Did Bishop bail because he simply wanted to go home?   Wonder what the story behind the story is.   It's amazing that a 35 days government shut down is delaying this project start as well.  

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Interesting that this Bishop guy who was brought on board because of past experience with similar projects is out.    Did they get everything they needed from Bishop, and decided it was time to install someone who could get to the job of raising some serious money because Heacock is tight with the deep pockets of West Michigan?    Did Bishop bail because he simply wanted to go home?   Wonder what the story behind the story is.   It's amazing that a 35 days government shut down is delaying this project start as well.  

"Heacock succeeds Richard Bishop, who recently took a position as the assistant to the mayor of Columbus, Ga.

Bishop, a Georgia native, will work with Grand Rapids Whitewater full-time through February, leading the organization’s permitting and design efforts."

There's your answer right there: Columbus GA. He saw terms like Polar Vortex and Flash Freeze in the forecast and decided to bail out of here.  :)

20 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

"Heacock succeeds Richard Bishop, who recently took a position as the assistant to the mayor of Columbus, Ga.

Bishop, a Georgia native, will work with Grand Rapids Whitewater full-time through February, leading the organization’s permitting and design efforts."

There's your answer right there: Columbus GA. He saw terms like Polar Vortex and Flash Freeze in the forecast and decided to bail out of here.  :)

So he bailed because he wanted to go home.  Lame.   See the project trough, Richard.

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

So he bailed because he wanted to go home.  Lame.   See the project trough, Richard.

I'm about to join him with the next few weeks' weather forecast. :P 

Steve Heacock will be great for this role. He's an avid kayaker in addition to being so well known in the community. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm about to join him with the next few weeks' weather forecast. :P 

Steve Heacock will be great for this role. He's an avid kayaker in addition to being so well known in the community. 

I'm not suggesting that Steve Heacock is not up for the job, just think it's lame this guy bailed on the project because he was cold and wanted to go home.  :D   I think Steve can rally the troops and bring in the big money donors!

Edited by mpchicago

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Oosh, someone needs to talk to Heacock about his talking points and inclusivity. At least say "Guys and gals" or "men and women." 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/rapid-restoration-work-could-start-in-2020/1794788850

Spot on. There would be any number of more acceptable terms there: enthusiasts, residents, Michiganders,  etc ... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

I’m actually quite glad that Kent County has decided to wait in this. Let it happen when the timing is right and the opportunity is right. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/kent-county-road-commission-rejects-only-bid-for-grand-rapids-land/1879345544

I'm surprised there weren't more takers. It's riverfront, downtown is expanding north along the river, a Creston area that is being revitalized is across the river...Seems odd that not a single developer was interested in it unless there's something about the site we don't know.

30 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I'm surprised there weren't more takers. It's riverfront, downtown is expanding north along the river, a Creston area that is being revitalized is across the river...Seems odd that not a single developer was interested in it unless there's something about the site we don't know.

I think it's still kind of too far out for anything resembling the projects happening downtown to be viable on that space.  It's definitely got the potential to be a prime location but it's surrounded by a largely industrial dead zone.  Anything in the game changing range would stick out like a sore thumb and risks being under utilized.  Anything smaller and mixed use probably doesn't justify the cost of the property/construction.   I think the city will need to see another momentum surge like it did 2014-2016 for demand to creep up the river and repurpose those industrial properties along Front and Scribner.  Probably a couple years out if it happens again. 

4 hours ago, MJLO said:

I think it's still kind of too far out for anything resembling the projects happening downtown to be viable on that space.  It's definitely got the potential to be a prime location but it's surrounded by a largely industrial dead zone.  Anything in the game changing range would stick out like a sore thumb and risks being under utilized.  Anything smaller and mixed use probably doesn't justify the cost of the property/construction.   I think the city will need to see another momentum surge like it did 2014-2016 for demand to creep up the river and repurpose those industrial properties along Front and Scribner.  Probably a couple years out if it happens again. 

Right on. I think in 10-15 years it should be worth much more

On April 9, the Ottawa County Board of Commissioners will consider an official policy stance on the dredging of the Grand River from the Bass River Inlet to Fulton Street to allow boats to traverse the river between Lake Michigan and downtown. Reading reactions online - it's pretty split down the middle between people that think it's the worst idea to ever be conceived by man and those that are all for it.

2 hours ago, GRLaker said:

On April 9, the Ottawa County Board of Commissioners will consider an official policy stance on the dredging of the Grand River from the Bass River Inlet to Fulton Street to allow boats to traverse the river between Lake Michigan and downtown. Reading reactions online - it's pretty split down the middle between people that think it's the worst idea to ever be conceived by man and those that are all for it.

On the one hand, I think it'd be cool to be able to take a boat from Lake Michigan into GR. On the other, just looking at the all of the environmental regulations involved with restoring the rapids, I can't imagine this moving forward.