The Grand River?! You mean GR has a River?

GR_Urbanist

I was in Dayton recently and biked around downtown for a bit. The Miami River apparently floods like the Grand River so they have miles of big earthen berms along both banks of the river through downtown. It's rather unattractive if you ask me. 

However, the meaning of my post, they removed one of the dams and created a whitewater rapid as well as stepped stones that you can walk way out on. That was pretty cool. They advertise whitewater kayaking even though that's really the only drop in the whole River that I could see.

Otherwise, Dayton felt like a Grand Rapids from 1995, without an arena and new convention center being built. In fact, their convention center is quite old it looked like. 1970's maybe. There were some nice new townhouses and apartments mixed in throughout the downtown area, and their baseball stadium is right in the downtown area. 

Screenshot_20220715-083435_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8c2846dba6d4f08aef35d0734457cdb1.jpg

Screenshot_20220715-083452_Gallery.jpg.f50a8f0041b55c25e5bc377f5e017da6.jpg

Screenshot_20220715-083507_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2d14551d825cfa76522a2384e7b8add9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

FYI- The river restoration is in the phase of public comment for the lower stage of the rapids. If you are so inclined, you can send a letter of support here (EGLE is one of the last major hurdles to getting the restoration started):

https://grandrapidswhitewater.org/time-sensitive-we-need-your-support/

Joe

• 5 months later...

Got this interesting email from Grand Rapids Whitewater. It almost sounds like the City of Grand Rapids has decided to take over the project. Anyone have an inside scoop on this:

We are writing to share an important update regarding the Grand Rapids Whitewater (GRWW) project. Today, the City of Grand Rapids announced that they have reached an agreement with the Michigan Department of Environment Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) to withdraw the current permit application for the Grand River Revitalization project and begin working on a new framework that will explore alternative design elements by removing the standing whitewater wave features from the proposed design.

For the past 14 years, we have worked tirelessly with multiple agencies to create a proposed design that maintains grade control, minimizes barriers to fish passage, creates new opportunities for aquatic habitat and provides enhanced whitewater recreational opportunities for both residents and visitors. Although the new framework may not include whitewater waves, it aligns with the spirit of our original vision to safely bring the rapids back to the Grand River for everyone to enjoy.

Chris Muller and Chip Richards' original vision to Restore the Rapids has already done so much for our city and has changed the way we talk about the river. It has sparked economic development, revitalized riverfront property and led to millions of dollars in funding for riverfront parks and trails.

We know this new design is a departure from our founding vision, but we remain committed to working with the City and hope you will continue to support this catalytic community project. Together, we can continue to build a better future for Grand Rapids and all who call it home.

Thank you for your continued support of the Grand Rapids Whitewater project

• Sad 1

Here's an article that further explains the decision. Sounds like like EGLE would not approve the plan with the wavewater pools. I don't know if this means the whitewater kayaking component will no longer be included at all, or if will just be a gentler, more natural flow of the river. 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/03/decade-long-grand-rapids-whitewater-project-to-be-scaled-back-amid-objections-from-state-feds.html?e=69f13d8e2e2955495a1e18ecc37ea763&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter_gr_breaking&utm_term=Newsletter_grand_rapids_news_alert

I especially like this quote from Steve Heacock, the director of GR Whitewater:

“We were being too progressive,” he said. “We were pushing beyond where the state was comfortable in going, and so we’re going back. They’re offering up kind of a 1970s-model of the engineering, and we’re going to go back and look at it and see what can be done within that structure.”

Makes it seem like they were dealt quite a big blow to their plans. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

I don’t get the feeling that this means the rapids won’t be restored…I think it just means they won’t be artificially enhanced for rafting purposes. 

That was the part that was exciting… it was something different. Now we are just going to have some more ripples in the water and at what cost? This was going to drive tourism which would help offset the great cost of all of this. Maybe there is still some economic impact, i just cant think of any. It seems about as impactful as the fish ladder.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

I surprised this Whitewater being turned down hasn't got  more attention and angry mobs. Seems quiet, and telling friends about it their reactions are either; "I had no idea" or "figured".

I was thinking the same… If I had contributed money for this, I’d want it back.

On 3/10/2023 at 9:05 PM, Prankster said:

I especially like this quote from Steve Heacock, the director of GR Whitewater:

“We were being too progressive,” he said. “We were pushing beyond where the state was comfortable in going, and so we’re going back. They’re offering up kind of a 1970s-model of the engineering, and we’re going to go back and look at it and see what can be done within that structure.”

Makes it seem like they were dealt quite a big blow to their plans. 

Looking backward to the 1970’s is definitely the best way to find inspiration.  I’m going to send them a big bag of beer can pull tabs, cigarette butts, and McDonalds foam packaging to support this push for 70’s era environmental standards 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
23 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

New article on Mlive about the rapids restoration project. Sounds like they’ll submit a new application this summer, start moving snuffbox mussel habitat in August, and hope for construction in river in 2025. While there won’t be permanent whitewater features, it still sounds like there will be a lot of rocks, small rapids, etc. :

Remove the four low head dams.

Place natural rock and boulders to install two expansive riffles with emergent boulders. Riffles are shallow, faster moving sections of rivers and streams.

Add four unique boulder drop structures. The boulder drops help create rapids and provide fish passage.

Add three boulder vane structures for access along the banks. The vanes help provide slow moving water that’s safe for wading.

Install approximately 125 scattered habitat boulders. The boulders help restore the river’s historical flow and river-bottom diversity. Each one creates an area of slower-moving water behind it, which serve as resting areas for fish.

Place about 5,000 tons of boulder and 15,000 tons of small, rounded rocks in the river.

Joe

Fantastic news for our city. This should be great for not only the people but the wildlife in the river. I was not hopeful after last year's announcement of no whitewater.

Personally, I'd love to see whitewater in the rapids, but just bringing back the "rapids" in general is a good thing.

• Like 2