Atlanta Peak Population?

peaceloveunderstanding

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say some where between the two if it continues at the same density and so on. There only so far that people are willing to drive.

It might gain more density, though, which could push the population maybe into 11/12 mil. (according to my searches, ATL has the largest Metro in the country in terms of land area).

Oh and by the way, I think pop. will go up to about 7 1/2 or 8 1/2 million. There's not that much more land to go unless you wanna consume the whole state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a possibility tdiscussed in the Chattlanta thread that Atlanta's, Rome's, Dalton's, and Chattanooga's Metros will all someday fuse into a sort of Megalopolis.

That could increase Metro ATL's population by quite a bit.

There's a possibility tdiscussed in the Chattlanta thread that Atlanta's, Rome's, Dalton's, and Chattanooga's Metros will all someday fuse into a sort of Megalopolis.

That could increase Metro ATL's population by quite a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I agree w/ that statement completely. As it stands right now, All the areas that you mentioned are just barely connected. Chattanooga touches both Rome and Dalton, and Rome is right next to Metro Altanta. I could imagine in the next 25 years that these communities will become heavily interconnected. Or at least two major cities that share bedroom communities with two smaller stuck inbetween.

Yes, I agree w/ that statement completely.  As it stands right now, All the areas that you mentioned are just barely connected.  Chattanooga touches both Rome and Dalton, and Rome is right next to Metro Altanta.  I could imagine in the next 25 years that these communities will become heavily interconnected.  Or at least two major cities that share bedroom communities with two smaller stuck inbetween.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If this happens, then we're going to see I-75 being 10 lanes all the way up from I-575 and both sides of the interstate will start looking like I-85 in Gwinnett County with all the industrial and commercial stuff.

Consolidated Statisical Area or something like that.

It means two or more Metros that are close enough together to be considered one metro. I believe Atlanta's CSA would include Gainesville's and/or Athens' MSA's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh that makes sense. Thanks

Consolidated Statisical Area or something like that.

It means two or more Metros that are close enough together to be considered one metro. I believe Atlanta's CSA would include Gainesville's and/or Athens' MSA's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well to be a little more specific, its not just that the metros are near each other, its two metropolitan or micropolitan areas that have some economic connection between them but NOT enough to be a single metro. By some formula they use, there must be a connectivity factor of 15. There are a lot of metros that are near each other but don't meet this criteria.

Just estimating these numbers, feel free to correct me!!

Chattanooga CSA: About 650,000

Dalton MSA: 120,000

Rome MSA: 90,000

Atlanta CSA: 5.5 Million

All Totalled : 6,360,000

Didn't include Macon in that figure, but I think that if you look down the road in 25 years, this number will be much higher. I'm guessing around the 10 million mark... thoughts?

Well to be a little more specific, its not just that the metros are near each other, its two metropolitan or micropolitan areas that have some economic connection between them but NOT enough to be a single metro.  By some formula they use, there must be a connectivity factor of 15.  There are a lot of metros that are near each other but don't meet this criteria.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm no expert on these things, so thanks for providing the extra information.

^ Oh no, no way we'll hit 10 million in 2025. Atlanta's growth isn't what it was in the 1990's & Atlanta's MSA / CSA has finally hit it's possible edge, except for a few more rural counties. Possibly 8 million counting CSA but 10 million is a stretch...

^  Oh no, no way we'll hit 10 million in 2025.  Atlanta's growth isn't what it was in the 1990's & Atlanta's MSA / CSA has finally hit it's possible edge, except for a few more rural counties.  Possibly 8 million counting CSA but 10 million is a stretch...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From another post, the census estimates for 2030 are Atlanta metro at 7 million. Plenty big enough for me :)

^  Oh no, no way we'll hit 10 million in 2025.  Atlanta's growth isn't what it was in the 1990's & Atlanta's MSA / CSA has finally hit it's possible edge, except for a few more rural counties.  Possibly 8 million counting CSA but 10 million is a stretch...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do you think it is a stretch to think by 2030 you might hit 8-9 million??? I could see that. If you take the CSA of roughly 5,000,000 and then grow it at a decent clip would that not be possible???I mean Atlanta has roughly doubled in the last 25 years. Do you think that it could do it just ONE more time. Or do you think that the last leg of growth will come much slower. Again, Just curious???

A2

• 4 weeks later...

Archived