Atlanta Peak Population?

peaceloveunderstanding

LA has 18 million people in its metro.  It might be interesting to see how LA compares land wise  to the 10,000 sq/miles territory of ATL's CSA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just curious, but where are you getting 10,000 square miles?

According to Metroinspect's post here, the 28 Atlanta Metro Area counties are about 21,965 sq. km. total. This would translate into 8,480.73 square miles. Of course, I think his data was gathered from the 2000 census results, so they probably are a bit dated.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

counties in NC are a great deal larger then in GA, if the metro did span like the maps show Atlanta's does, the triad would be part of the Charlotte metro. (Thats me estimating with my fingers and a map in the library ;))

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's probably been said before here, but I think that the Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte's Metros will form a sort of megalopolis before any of them get as big/sprawly as Atlanta's

I don't think that will happen.  There really isn't much development between CLT and the Triad.  Likewise it is fairly rural between the Triad and the Triangle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But when you review what ironchapman - it was any of those metro areas will become a megalopolis BEFORE any of those metro areas are as large as Atlanta. The Greenville SC - Raleigh NC developing megalopolis isn't as far fetched as you would think. Though there are rural gaps in between the primary metro areas, population densities of 500 + per square mile is very common through most of the I-85 corridor & densities are at least 100 + people per square mile through the majority. It is happening, & exurban population growth is occuring - call it a megalopolis or a sprawlopolis, it is a few decades away from a reality.

When you think 30 years in the future, just think how things were 30 years in the past - growth will be even more abundant in the next 30 years. Not far fetched at all. And going back to ironchapman's point about any metro being the size of Atlanta (5 million) - the other metro areas would easily be effected by that size of a population.

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be no end in sight as to how many people will make their homes here. The metro area isn't very dense and even a lot of the so-called urban areas could hold many more residents. That along with the still developing areas and the growing urban population will equal millions of new residents in the next few decades. If I had to say when it will peak, I'd go for around 8-9 million, fo reel!!

There seems to be no end in sight as to how many people will make their homes here. The metro area isn't very dense and even a lot of the so-called urban areas could hold many more residents. That along with the still developing areas and the growing urban population will equal millions of new residents in the next few decades. If I had to say when it will peak, I'd go for around 8-9 million, fo reel!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paris is able to fit 11.5 mil in about 9,000 sq. mi.......though I doubt we'd ever be that dense.

• 4 months later...

I'd say some where between the two if it continues at the same density and so on. There only so far that people are willing to drive.

It might gain more density, though, which could push the population maybe into 11/12 mil. (according to my searches, ATL has the largest Metro in the country in terms of land area).

No. It just seems like it because GA counties are small. Out in LA, with those big counties, the metro area is a lot bigger.

Atlanta's region is mearly the canvas that will support what is to come. We have SO much land. Even our downtown is basically empty. We can't look at where American cities are today. We have to think of them as they mature. The 1990's turned the page in how we view our cities and Americans have always embraced change like no others. When we are good and ready, we as a people will move back to our urban core. Density is sure to come again. With that said we can hadle 25 million people better than Mexico City can. Most of Mexico City is only two levels, very few high rise buildings.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know about 10 million. If you'll notice, except for the Center of Atlanta, once an area in Metro Atlanta reaches low density build out like in Dekalb and parts of Cobb, people start moving farther out. Of course, ther is a limit to how far away people will from the city. I think we're starting to hit that point, where people don't want to go out any further. This is fueling our infill movement. I truly believe that by 2010-2015, Metro Atlanta will have expanded as far as it can go. But that's ok, because then the great infill gets going full swing. We are seeing the transition right now.

There is all that open land south of Atlanta though...tons of oppertunity for sprawl there once the north end fill up to Tenn and NC. I really dont think there is a limit to Atlantas growth..10 million can easily be met!

The point newnan was making sanka, is that there is likely a point of over-saturation. Atlanta's current growth patterns, as all sunbelt cities, is not sustainable & will at some point collapse. So - you can't assume that millions more people will intentionally choose to drive longer commutes.

There is all that open land south of Atlanta though...tons of oppertunity for sprawl there once the north end fill up to Tenn and NC. I really dont think there is a limit to Atlantas growth..10 million can easily be met!

I agree and disagree. I agree that Atlanta will make it to ten million. I disagree that it will spread all the way up to North Carolina and Tennessee. I think that you can start to see the extent of the edges of Atlanta's build-out area. I believe that development will be everywhere, but you're not likely to see much suburban development beyond:

Southern Jackson County (I-85 N: Around Braselton)

Southside of Newnan (I-85 S: Already suburban, but will add more residents)

Locust Grove: (I-75 S: Probably the extent of thick suburban development)

Cartersville/Cassville: (I-75 N: I tend to think that Cartersville will connect with Cobb Counties development. Emerson, the connecting point, will become a true suburb within ten years.

Temple: (I-20 W: West of Villa Rica in northern Carroll County)

East side of Covington (I-20 E: Already developing briskly. Most likely, but it could go all the way to the Social Circle exit within fifteen years).

I agree with that. I think in the future there will be a little more growth south on Newnan because the is already starting to grow but it won't extend farther south than that.

so basically the 40-45 mile mark

I was being sarcastic about the Tenn NC line thing...but I do think south of Atl there is oppertunity for devleopment. hopefully done right. as long as Delta does not go under there already is a stable population of airline pilots there......

Atlanta might be spread out all over the place, but so too is the employment sectors. What's so hard about living in Dawson or Lumpkin counties and driving to south forsyth/north fulton to work. How many jobs are in Gwinett that are easily excessable to residents or Jackson, Barrow, or Hall counties. Atlanta's boundaries are limitless and our growth will only continue! Besides that, the Westside and Southside of the atlanta metro are incredibly "underdeveloped" compared to the northside metro. We still have Henry, Douglas, Coweta, South Fulton, Paulding, Cherokee, Forsyth, Dawson, Jackson, and many more waiting to be developed!

Atlanta might be spread out all over the place, but so too is the employment sectors. What's so hard about living in Dawson or Lumpkin counties and driving to south forsyth/north fulton to work. How many jobs are in Gwinett that are easily excessable to residents or Jackson, Barrow, or Hall counties. Atlanta's boundaries are limitless and our growth will only continue! Besides that, the Westside and Southside of the atlanta metro are incredibly "underdeveloped" compared to the northside metro. We still have Henry, Douglas, Coweta, South Fulton, Paulding, Cherokee, Forsyth, Dawson, Jackson, and many more waiting to be developed!

Douglas has been incrementally developing since the 70s. Lots of development there, though not on the scale of a Gwinnett County.

Cherokee has experienced tremendous growth since the 80s, though there is still some area left to develop.

Paulding has experienced about as much growth over the last decade as any other place. Still some room to develop, though.

Jackson, Dawson, much of Forsyth and south Fulton, and parts of Coweta have room to develop.

My point is that these areas have plenty of existing development and aren't short in development. The westside is not as heavy on development as the northside, but it's not rural by any means.

Archived