Lexington, KY

zt456

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very possible that I will be attending UK and I was just wondering if there is any development going on in the city or what the city is like from someone who's lived there. Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont live there, but I have been there countless amounts of times. I know that there are lofts going up all over downtown, nothing really of substantial height as far as I know. Lexington seems ultimately big on subruban growth, but it has a pretty cool existing downtown. They have a limit to how heigh they can beild because of what the ground is made of (I dont know what). What exactly are you wanting to know when you say "what its like".

• 3 months later...

^ There are caves under downtown that limit the height of skyscrapers. The tallest is 410ft and 31 floors. The development in the city is crazy. Condo's and lofts are the big thing right now. Most are in the CBD too! UK sits right on the southern edge of downtown and is within walking distance to almost anywehre you need to be. Here is a pic of downtown from one of the numerous horse farms around the city

I loved there for three years and really enjoyed it.

lexingotndistance.jpg

This is a pic looking up Main Street from Rupp Arena crossover.

Picture959.jpg

Between the scrapers

5584lfcbetween.jpg

The horse farms around Lexington also influnce its growth patterns. its growth is fairly restricted in most directions becuase the horse farmers won't sell their land, which is why you see more of Lexington's growth towards the south (as opposed to along the interstates like most places would see).

^Yes they do. The city has a Purchase of Development Rights law which enables them (the city) to buy the development rights to a farm, but not the farm. It keeps developers off the farm and away from development of it. it is still, as you would imagine, quite controversial.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some great pics of Lexington.

Thanks for posting the great pictures. I've never seen pictures of Lexington, other than one or two of just the skyline. It looks like a great city. Some modern buildings mixed with historic ones. I love the fact that the downtown is contained by the horse farms and the University is in the downtown area. Sounds like a great mixture for a very people friendly city.

Does anybody know if anyone ever bought the castle that is outside Lexington? I remember over ten years ago seeing the big sale sign outside the gates. I hadn't heard anything from that point. I'm always in a hurry to get to and from Louisville, and never have time to stop by to look. So, if anyone knows anything about the castle, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Does anybody know if anyone ever bought the castle that is outside Lexington? I remember over ten years ago seeing the big sale sign outside the gates. I hadn't heard anything from that point. I'm always in a hurry to get to and from Louisville, and never have time to stop by to look. So, if anyone knows anything about the castle, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

The castle wsa bought, then struck by lightning and burnt to the ground. It is currently being re-built and is expected to be open to the public soon.

WOW! Sad news to hear indeed. After hearing this I did a google search, and found that several news sites claimed that arson was to blame for the fire. I didn't find anything up to date, so now I'm wondering if anything came from the investigation? Good to hear that they are rebuilding, but the building appears to have a curse on it. I kinda feel sorry for the guy that bought the place, but I hope everything goes smoother from now on. It is a cool little landmark for Kentucky, and deserves to be built back. Next time I'm up that way, I will purposfully make time for a drive-by to check out the progress.

its growth is fairly restricted in most directions becuase the horse farmers won't sell their land,

I live in Lexington and the horse farmers would sell their land to developers because they'd receive a lot of money for that land. The sad truth is that in selling land to developers for new homes or shopping centers yields more money than horses. However, as mentioned by another person in this discussion the farm owners get money from Lexington Fayette Urban County Government or L.F.U.C.G., as its referred to here, not to sell their land. This is P.D.R. at its best. As Lexy pointed out there is much debate over this issue, locally. Believe me there is a need to expand more in Lexington, however, land is at a premium here! Some new subdivisons on the southside offer lots from $60,000 to $90,000 and they're that is not even half of an acre lots! Turning farms into developments isn't a new concept here. Hamburg Pavilion, a huge shopping complex at Interstate 75 and Man O' War Blvd. used to be a large farm. Now it is covered in concrete, homes, restaurants, shops and hotels. Barns and white fences have been replaced with Target, Linens N' Things, Circuit City, Applebees, T.G.I. Fridays, etc, etc. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

In case anyone was curious about the new building with a drive through next to Shell on S Broadway near Virginia Ave...I am 99.9% sure it will be a Starbucks. The address is 870 S Broadway and is owned by N3 Development out of Ft. Worth. It seems they specialize in developing Starbucks restaurants. At the pace this building has been going, we will know for sure one way or the other fairly soon.

I also found out that Sam's Hot Dog stand is moving from their current location on S. Limestone to a another location a little up the street across from the courthouse next to Taste of Thai. That I know to be true.

What I have also heard is that the Rite-Aid building was sold and the hope is that once Sam's and Rite-Aid have vacated, the intention will be to redevelop that block. Apparently, the building where Triple Crown Lounge is will stay as is. This block is very unsightly right now since it became mostly a parking lot after Woolworth's was torn down. I am very hopeful redevelopment will happen in the near future.

I also found out that Sam's Hot Dog stand is moving from their current location on S. Limestone to a another location a little up the street across from the courthouse next to Taste of Thai. That I know to be true.

What I have also heard is that the Rite-Aid building was sold and the hope is that once Sam's and Rite-Aid have vacated, the intention will be to redevelop that block. Apparently, the building where Triple Crown Lounge is will stay as is. This block is very unsightly right now since it became mostly a parking lot after Woolworth's was torn down. I am very hopeful redevelopment will happen in the near future.

Thank goodness. After Woolworth's was demolished, the block has become quite an eyesore. It'll be interesting to see what this block will look like since it is in a very prime real estate region...

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone else enjoys them, but...

The Kentucky Theatre downtown plays classic movies on Wednesday during the summer for 3.00. Last night's show was "Strangers on a Train". It was sold out and the Theatre is a pretty big place. It was a really nice time and I would reccomend it to anyone who hasn't been.

Thursday Night Live also started back up tonight. I didn't go tonight, but I drove by the old courthouse and they looked like they had a decent crowd. Zydedoc Bon was playing.

Work has finally resumed on the Nunn Building Lofts after years of delays. I won't get too excited until I see some real progress, but there had been no activity in over a year.

I am plannning on taking another round of photos soon to highlight other parts of downtown and the latest progress on on-going projects.

I never had the chance to go to the Ky Theatre, but I'm sure it's a treat. I remember when they removed the organ years around the late 80's

They have an organ now that plays before the old films on Wednesday, but they are working to raise money to restore the "Mighty Wurrlitzer". They have been trying to raise money for years and don't have enough yet, but they have made a lot of progress and it will get done.

In what may be the largest delegation yet to examine Oklahoma City's downtown development, 175 civic and business leaders from Lexington, Ky., arrived Wednesday in Bricktown for a detailed, three-day look at how the city was transformed by the Metropolitan Area Projects.

"A lot of people across the country know of Oklahoma City and speak highly of it since MAPS went into effect," said Robert Quick, president of the Greater Lexington Chamber of Commerce. "You're talked about as a community and a region a lot."

Harold Tate, president of Lexington Downtown Development Authority, said Oklahoma City is gaining notice not just for MAPS, but also MAPS for Kids, State Fair Park improvements and overall economic development.

"People traveling have come back and told us what is happening here," Tate said.

Tate's first reaction to Oklahoma City? "Wow."

"The buzz among all these people is just great," Tate said. "I'm hearing from one after another, 'We need to do this, we need to do this.'"

Among those participating in this year's trip are Kentucky's State House Speaker, Jody Richards, and executives from Lexington-based companies including Lexmark and Columbia Gas.

- small portion of an article in todays paper.

well a large group of your leaders were/are in my city checking the place out getting ideas. now our leaders need to take a trip to your city. after seeing pics of your town they need to get their butts over there.

heres what they might have seen.

Picture005.jpg

12-05classennorth.jpg

Picture022.jpg

56.jpg

1848.jpg

gallery_ballpark_1998_4a.jpg

CopyofBallparkEntrance.jpg

gallery_ford_2003_9.jpg

Archived