The BEST Pizza in the Upstate

NYTransplant

Not sure if anyone else has posted these, but a couple of new pizza places are coming soon.  I don't know the locations, but they sound a little out of the ordinary. :)
  • Brixx Wood-Fired Pizza - this one sounds like top-knotch food!

• Papa Murphy's Take 'N' Bake Pizza - A new concept for this area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brixx is coming into the The Shops at Greenridge. Not sure about the other.

Speaking of pizza, since I'm from NY, I'm very particular about my pizza. I'm curious, where are all of your favorite pizza joints?

So far, the closest I've come to NY pizza is a large cheese pie, light on the sauce, at Bertolo's on Pelham. :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brixx is coming into the The Shops at Greenridge.  Not sure about the other.

Speaking of pizza, since I'm from NY, I'm very particular about my pizza.  I'm curious, where are all of your favorite pizza joints?

So far, the closest I've come to NY pizza is a large cheese pie, light on the sauce, at Bertolo's on Pelham. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Moretti's. It's the best! The family is from Buffalo, NY I believe. Get the Moretti's orginal....best pizza ever and very NY! :thumbsup: The restaurant is on Pelham in the shopping center with Alley Gators sports bar (not sure of the name of the center).

Moretti's.  It's the best!  The family is from Buffalo, NY I believe.  Get the Moretti's orginal....best pizza ever and very NY!  :thumbsup:  The restaurant is on Pelham in the shopping center with Alley Gators sports bar (not sure of the name of the center).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not familiar with that one, but I'll give it a shot. Always in search of the perfect pizza. :D

Brixx is coming into the The Shops at Greenridge.  Not sure about the other.

Speaking of pizza, since I'm from NY, I'm very particular about my pizza.  I'm curious, where are all of your favorite pizza joints?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My favorite is by far Barley's Taproom next to Wild Wings on Washington St. Their pizza is amazing, awsome selection of topics. And I love that I can order pizza by the slice any way I want it. And the beer selection is the best in town.

My favorite is by far Barley's Taproom next to Wild Wings on Washington St.  Their pizza is amazing, awsome selection of topics.  And I love that I can order pizza by the slice any way I want it.  And the beer selection is the best in town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brad, I've had their pizza and I enjoyed it, but as far as NY style, it's not. :whistling:

I like to sit outside Barley's or at the tables near the open window. You are right about the beer selection, great! :alc:

The area has lost a good Italian restaurant recently. Benito's on Poinsett in Greer closed in the past month or so. I had only been there once, but the food was good and the prices reasonable. :cry:

NY Style Pizza: My understanding (from watching hours and hours of the Food Network) is that it has to do with how the cheese is put on the pizza (i.e. large square slices of mozzarella rather than shredded) and how it's baked (brick oven rather than conventional oven).

My own personal favorite Pizza "joint" at the moment is Mellow Mushroom, believe it or not. Good Stuff! :thumbsup:

I like Barley's as well. They have a good variety of beer, but they don't have my favorite, which irritates me. <_<

Bertolo's is also a good place to eat.

You guys need to take a trip to Spartanburg and go to Sonny's Brick Oven Pizza on Daniel Morgan Ave right next to QS/1. They have fantastic pizza. In a few weeks their newly enlarged deck will be open, and there wlil be much more outdoor seating than their was :D

Another great place in Spartanburg is Venus Pie. Its a flat pizza, but One slice will fill you up because its so freaking huge. Some useful knowledge: they scored a 100 on their last health inspection. They are located at 400 E Main on the corner of Oakland Ave, right accross from 1st Presbyterian.

I also really likr Peppion's on Pelham at Batesville.  I used to eat at the one in Clemson, so it is nice having one local now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brad,

I'll agree that Peppino's is good. That's where we presently get our pizza. It's convenient to the house. Bertolo's is a little better, but not an extra 15 minutes drive better.

New York style pizza has a thin-crust, but not crispy. The crust is browned, almost leathery, but not tough. It's difficult to describe. If you like Peppino's you'd like real NY pizza. :thumbsup:

Almost all pizza is worth eating. It's all about personal preference. ;)

To be good pizza should:

not have a concept

not have anything inside its crust

not be any kind of style (Pizza does not have style period)

not be made by any chain except if each restaurant is owned by the same family

not be from any restaurant that advertises on TV

That being said the best pizza I have ever had is at any number of places in Buffalo NY. The sauce is rich, the peperoni is authentic and spicy, the chease is not too thick, if you have it delivered it will get to your house still too hot to eat, and most importantly the crust is just thick enough but not too thick. The pie will have a crisp golden brown botton but will still be a little chewy. It should not crumble like a cracker. The crust at the edge should be thick with a crisp outer shell and chewy inner bread. A few crisp cheasy bread bubbles on the surface are always welcome. If you have not had a pizza like this you have not yet had pizza. Head over to Buffalo and get some. Try Casa Di Pizza on Elmwood or La Hacienda on Hertel. Almost any local joint in Buffalo will serve up a good pie though.

You know this is the Upstate of South Carolina right? Not New York. Buffalo is kinda far off :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I know but someone else mentioned Buffalo so I thought I would add the comment to my descrpition of a good pizza

Which brings us back to Moretti's, which gsupstate plugged earlier. I will second his recomendation. It is the best pizza I have found since moving here. I love the small, flavorful pepperoni that they use. Being from Buffalo, they have great wings and fried fish too.

Which brings us back to Moretti's, which gsupstate plugged earlier. I will second his recomendation. It is the best pizza I have found since moving here. I love the small, flavorful pepperoni that they use. Being from Buffalo, they have great wings and fried fish too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JCT, where did you come from?

I can't believe I forgot about Frodo's. If you ever have the opportunity, check out the lunch buffet - especially at the Frodo's at Cherrydale. In particular, they have a great vegie pizza on a whole wheat crust. I wasn't sure about trying it at first, but it's quite tasty! Oh yea! :lol:

Archived