19,000 homes planned for Carroll Cty Development.

Lady Celeste

I give this development a big thumbs down.

This development has been in the news before but now it has reared its head again. Temple-Inland Land & Timber filed plans in February for a massive project of 19,000 homes. This development will be located in Carroll county, which is about 40 miles west of downtown Atlanta. While the additional homes will be great for Carroll County's tax base, I think it will be bad for the Atlanta region as a whole. There is no really major employer in Carroll or Douglas Counties....not large enough to support 19,000 new families. Many of these workers will be forced to drive 40 miles to downtown or even further to the Vinings/Galleria area and points beyond for employment.

Wolf Creek Development

At 19000 homes, that could possibly total an additional 20,000+ cars heading east on I-20 towards Atlanta. The easterly I-20 is already overwhelmed with traffic on almost a daily bases during rush hour. There are no HOV lanes and no plans that I know of to add any. There is no commuter rail to this development. This cannot be optimal for all people involved....unless of course the developers. I think this will only encourage more and more sprawl in the Atlanta metro area. The MSA is already touching Alabama....the CSA already includes an Alabama county.

How far out are we to go before the drive times will be the same as those of Los Angeles? I don't forsee a major corporation setting up in Douglasville or Carrollton anytime soon so this can only be additional traffic heading through Douglas and southern Fulton County for employment. I feel that the developer, if allowed to build (which they probably will be) should include space for a commuter rail station and right of way for a future line. If not, instead of the morning traffic report saying "traffic is packed in heavy on I-20 from Thornton Rd to I-285" it will be traffic packed in heavy from "Hwy 5 all the way to I-285."

That can't be good.......... :unsure:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly Teshadoh. The developers have "smartened-up" and learned how to forego the rules and regulations of the ARC. Just build right outside the 13 county region and you escape review. From what I remember when this was first announced, it is right on or very near the Douglas County line.....so essentially this will directly affect the immediate metro region.

If I cursed, I would say an ugly word.

Whoa, you got to be kidding, all the way out in Carroll County? I would've expected a project like this to take place up in Cherokee or Forsyth County. I can't beleive to imagine the traffic on I-20, what is it just 2 lanes now? But that all depends on whether this goes over well or not.

Whoa, you got to be kidding, all the way out in Carroll County? I would've expected a project like this to take place up in Cherokee or Forsyth County. I can't beleive to imagine the traffic on I-20, what is it just 2 lanes now? But that all depends on whether this goes over well or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A project like this is least likely to happen in counties like Forsyth, Fayette and Cherokee. Fayette because it is a very planned county and Forsyth and Cherokee because both counties had voter revolts against unchecked development. Cherokee and Forsyth both have moratoriums on large tract development if I'm not mistaken. They may have since been lifted both. Also, Cherokee is a part of the Atlanta Reginal Commission which means that it would have to go under the review of the board and they could vote that such a project would not be in the best interest of the metro as a whole.

Oddly enough, Fayette, Henry and Douglas are also a part of the ARC. That's why this developer put this massive development right outside of Douglas' border. It will be able to enjoy the amenities of Douglas County without having to answer to the ARC.

Forsyth has several road improvements underway....the interchange at GA 400 and Peachtree Pkwy and the interchange at GA 400 and GA 20. Until these improvements are done, I would doubt that the commission would approve such a large development....if at all. Cherokee is trying to limit major development into nodes along or near I-575. Canton, Woodstock and Ballground specifically and Waleska to a lesser degree because it is not directly on 575. Most of the pro-development politicans were voted out the last time there were elections. People in Cherokee would much rather live on 5 acres and commute 20 miles or more to work than to have denser development.

BTW, as far as I-20, I think it is 3 lanes until you get past Douglasville but I'm not sure.....Ironchapman may know since that is in his part of town. I guess this development will bode well for the Arbor Place Mall and the tax base of Douglas County as well.

I don't forsee a major corporation setting up in Douglasville or Carrollton anytime soon so this can only be additional traffic heading through Douglas and southern Fulton County for employment. I feel that the developer, if allowed to build (which they probably will be) should include space for a commuter rail station and right of way for a future line. If not, instead of the morning traffic report saying "traffic is packed in heavy on I-20 from Thornton Rd to I-285" it will be traffic packed in heavy from "Hwy 5 all the way to I-285."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't like it either, but maybe the growth is tied into West GA? I think West GA is Carrloton's biggest employer, maybe the school has grown enough to meet the need for most of that housing? I do like your idea of the developer being required to include space for a commuter rail station. You should take that to all the metro Chambers of Commerce.

Archived