University Commons

ILoveCallingNCHome

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super K-Marts actually aren't that bad, imo. I mean they are relatively new so they don't have that dingy '70's feel. I've only been in 4 though, the now closed one off 421 in Wilkesboro, the one off 74 in east Charlotte that for some reason I'm thinking is now closed, the Burlington one, and the one in Garner. The stores appeared mildly busy, but nothing compared to a Wal-Mart Supercenter or Super Target....

The Super K Mart in Burlington went to not being open 24 hrs sometime last year. They have set hours from my understanding. They rarely had a "busy" spell. It is a nice store though. I think that the attitude that folks have towards walmart and perhaps even target now as they expand is the same attitude displayed towards K Mart when they were up and coming and building new stores in new areas. As for how a super target or a walmart supercenter will look in 10 years...you can start to get a feel of it by going to the walmart supercenter in Burlington. While an old store...it hasnt changed a lot and remains very busy. They do have to pump money into keeping the store fresh and remodeled to keep it from becoming dated though. It's been a supercenter for over 5 yrs (I forget when it made the change from just a store to a super...but I know it was before 1999) It was a regular walmart long before then. It was built when walmart used to generally only build in rural areas...avoiding the cities alltogether.

My favorite walmart supercenter is in Hillsborough...right off 85.

the one off 74 in east Charlotte that for some reason I'm thinking is now closed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That one closed in 2002 I believe. We'd shop there from time to time though.. they seemed to have pretty good crowds and stuff but yeah it's closed. I think the Super K Center in Concord is still open.. the closest Super K to Charlotte. Some Big K's are still open on Freedom Drive, Pineville, Rock hill, Monroe and Gastonia in the Charlotte area..

My favorite Wal-Mart Supercenter is north of Winston off university. It has a brick facade and is tastefully designed. It also has wood flooring inside in some locations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The one in Hillsborourgh and one that is in Norht Raleigh (that isnt a supercenter) both have brick exteriors too. The Hillsborough one is not quite 2 yrs old .

The wood flooring is a new thing...the one in Burlington just recently got wood flooring in the clothing departments. It does look nice.

I haven't been in the Burlington Wal-Mart in yrs, but I noticed that the ceiling over the non grocery part still has the old ceiling from when it was just a regular wal-mart, and the ceiling over the grocery is the newer warehouse type ceiling. Wasn't there a Lowes beside Wal-Mart, where Tractor Supply now is? How long ago did the Lowes move?

On a side note my mom used to work at the Hillsborough Wal-Mart p/t in the late '90's. Wow it was tiny and outdated. Layaway had wood panelled walls, and the registers had that fake wood panelling as well. I went into it sometime in the summer of '03 right b4 it closed and it felt like I was in a time warp. I'm suprised Hillsborough even approved the Supercenter, they are very Nimby oriented there, although I suppose not quite as bad as Chapel Hill. I think I heard somewhere Wal-Mart threatened to close the old store and build in Mebane instead if Hillsborough didn't let them build that supercenter. Lo and behold a few yrs later and Mebane is getting a supercenter anyway! Bleh I remember when Mebane and Hillsborough were the same size, but Mebane is so outpacing Hillsborough, hell they r even getting a Ruby Tuesday, recently got a Cracker Barrel while, sources say, Hillsborough is getting a Huddle House (Hillsborough needs some non fast food restaurants)...

I haven't been in the Burlington Wal-Mart in yrs, but I noticed that the ceiling over the non grocery part still has the old ceiling from when it was just a regular wal-mart, and the ceiling over the grocery is the newer warehouse type ceiling. Wasn't there a Lowes beside Wal-Mart, where Tractor Supply now is? How long ago did the Lowes move?

On a side note my mom used to work at the Hillsborough Wal-Mart p/t in the late '90's. Wow it was tiny and outdated. Layaway had wood panelled walls, and the registers had that fake wood panelling as well. I went into it sometime in the summer of '03 right b4 it closed and it felt like I was in a time warp. I'm suprised Hillsborough even approved the Supercenter, they are very Nimby oriented there, although I suppose not quite as bad as Chapel Hill. I think I heard somewhere Wal-Mart threatened to close the old store and build in Mebane instead if Hillsborough didn't let them build that supercenter. Lo and behold a few yrs later and Mebane is getting a supercenter anyway! Bleh I remember when Mebane and Hillsborough were the same size, but Mebane is so outpacing Hillsborough, hell they r even getting a Ruby Tuesday, and, sources say, Hillsborough is getting a Huddle House. Woohoo!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the Hillsborough regular Walmart still abandoned.. er.. vacant?

It looks as if part of it has been converted into a Dollar Tree. I can't understand Dollar Tree's reasoning for locating in that shopping center, unless they r counting on another retailer filling in the rest of the Wal-Mart space soon. But there are several empty storefronts in that shopping center. I can't understand why D.T. didn't just take one of those, or combine them, instead of hacking into the old Wal-Mart. Literally it now appears as if they are a part of Wal-Mart, in the brick portion of the store. They at least need to take down the Wal-Mart sign from the building....

I want to say it's been about 10 yrs . I remember lowes being where tractor supply was. When Lowes closed, my kids were little. They let me take home all those promo cardboard box tv's vcrs, and other decorative items that I wanted for my kids to play "house" with. (they sat in front of that cardboard tv and just stared at it LOL) When walmart expanded, they expanded into some of the smaller store slots beside of them. I remember at that time, there was rumor that they were just going to renovate and enlarge that walmart and put a SAMs where Lowes was. I probably would have liked that set up more.

As for the Mebane Walmart being built, Mebane didnt want a Walmart at first. So Walmart decided to build on the Burlington/Graham line on Graham Hopedale Rd. Then Mebane gave the ok.

It looks as if part of it has been converted into a Dollar Tree. I can't understand Dollar Tree's reasoning for locating in that shopping center, unless they r counting on another retailer filling in the rest of the Wal-Mart space soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have noticed that Dollar Tree's tend to go in places that otherwise might be abandoned. They seem to hold their own. There is a Dollar Tree that moved into what was Woolworths on Summit Ave in the NE Shopping Center of greensboro. It was about the time that shopping center had a bit of a revitalization. I also know of a Dollar Tree that became the anchor in a small shopping center on us hwy 70 near Haw River...in what was an old Winn Dixie . It is busy any time I make my way over there. They seem to have their own unique nitch and do well no matter where they go. The only one that comes to mind near me that closed is the one that was in the old K Mart shopping Center near CCM.

Anyway...Target...anyone else been to this new one yet?

It is funny to watch Burlington people try to order Starbucks at Target. There are a lot of puzzled faces. Burlington is getting a second Starbucks soon...in the Burlington Square Mall parking lot, across for Sal's. It will have a drive-through.

Also, a Johnny Carino's is coming to University Commons, and a Fire Mountain just across the street. The Chili's and Hooters should be opening soon.

I am sooo mad...I have been here for 10 years and now that I'm moving to Charlotte we are getting all of this cool stuff.

It is funny to watch Burlington people try to order Starbucks at Target.  There are a lot of puzzled faces.  Burlington is getting a second Starbucks soon...in the Burlington Square Mall parking lot, across for Sal's.  It will have a drive-through.

Also, a Johnny Carino's is coming to University Commons, and a Fire Mountain just across the street.  The Chili's and Hooters should be opening soon.

I am sooo mad...I have been here for 10 years and now that I'm moving to Charlotte we are getting all of this cool stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the starbucks and pizza hut inside Target did make me laugh. Side by side, pizza and coffee...

I could care less about the hooters coming...that is the worst thing that could be going in on Garden Rd across from Walmart IMO. Walmart didnt want them there (and neither did/do I).

I am not familiar with Johny Carino's. What is Fire Mountain? The name seems familiar, isnt that what went into/or was going to go into the old McDonalds across from Colonial Mall?

"Could y'all just give me some coffee?"  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL I dont think we're THAT bad out here...I mean Gibsonville downtown has it's own coffee shop now... ;)

What made me laugh was just trying to wrap my mind around the starbucks being RIGHT next to the Pizza Hut Express place...right there in Target...as we were leaving. It was the icing on the cake so to speak...

LOL I dont think we're THAT bad out here...I mean Gibsonville downtown has it's own coffee shop now... ;)

What made me laugh was just trying to wrap my mind around the starbucks being RIGHT next to the Pizza Hut Express place...right there in Target...as we were leaving.  It was the icing on the cake so to speak...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is an odd configuration, to be sure, but I guess Target wanted to provide multiple options; from a coffee to go to a Personal Pan Piizza, kind of like a food court but not exactly. I think the one at North Hills has the same set-up.

That is an odd configuration, to be sure, but I guess Target wanted to provide multiple options; from a coffee to go to a Personal Pan Piizza, kind of like a food court but not exactly.  I think the one at North Hills has the same set-up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think after the Target in Matthews was remodeled, it got a Starbucks and Pizza Hut

it is nice to see all this stuff finally coming to burlington. i am laughing about the starbucks though. i can just see the typical burlingtonian trying to figure out what's going on at starbucks. they will get used to it after a while though. most people seem pretty comfortable at panera bread now. ;)

• 7 months later...

The news article says it will look similar to the Streets of Southpoint in Durham and have over 800,000 square feet of retail. Im assuming part of it could be an enclosed mall. That would have to be the case if it really is similar to the Streets of Southpoint. Burlington is really booming these days.

http://www.wfmy.com/news/local_state/artic...x?storyid=59129

yeah, we have discussed alamance crossing in a couple of other threads. they are in the process of clearing some of the land right now. it's a huge chunk of land that goes all the way from university drive to garden road and it's quite wide too.

I am from Burlington but currently live in Charlotte. Progress on this thing has been painfully slow. I haven't been in Burlington for about a month, have they actually started clearing land? b/t/w, the CBL website has bumped the square footage up to 870,000.

Archived