University Commons

ILoveCallingNCHome

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*sigh* I see this and it just fills me with ennui.. and makes me think of the retail plan posted by Hotlanta here. Until our local planners start thinking outside of the mold, and building like the plan presented in that post we're just gonna get more sprawling malls eating up the countryside and forests :(

I'm also living in Charlotte but from Burlington. Last time I was in Burlington most of the trees on the site had been cleared from Univeristy Drive (Exit 140) to near the hotels off of exit 141. This is the first significant progress since its announcement back in 2004. Since then developers have proposed and completed many projects. University Commons was proposed shortly after Burlington Station (Alamance Crossing). CB&L the developer fought hard to have the University Commons rejected because it had most of the tenants they had planned to attract to their own center. Wakefields came from Raleigh and saw the potential of the area and quickly came with a plan along with tenants guarunteed. People were excited about University Commons and the people of Burlington pressured them into approving the center. CB&L had to change their plan completely and now they are finally making some progress after many years of promises. Their still haven't been any tenants announced. People believe their will be Dillards, Circuit City, Sams Club, Red Lobster, Olive Garden and a large movie theatre. The only thing that makes this project worth the wait will be the lake center piece similar to the shoppes of Univeristy Place in Charlotte and Broadway on the Beach in Mrytle Beach. People will be able to get on a paddle boat, fish, or just relax and view the lake.

As far as malls go, a Southpoint-style development is good news, especially for a small city like Burlington. I am stunned that Burlington is getting such a development before cities like Winston-Salem and Greensboro.

Thanks for volunteering to take pics NCgfx. I am eagerly waiting those pics.

Are there any plans for the opposite south end of the interchange, the McIntosh Lake side?

As far as malls go, a Southpoint-style development is good news, especially for a small city like Burlington. I am stunned that Burlington is getting such a development before cities like Winston-Salem and Greensboro.

Thanks for volunteering to take pics NCgfx. I am eagerly waiting those pics.

Are there any plans for the opposite south end of the interchange, the McIntosh Lake side?

they are clearing the land between the interstate and the service road that leads you to mackintosh on the lake. i am not sure what is actually going to be built on that land, but it looks like there is a lot of stuff going on there.

Plans (although not in that spot but on Danbrook Road (service rd) adjacent to Mackintosh on the Lake) are for a new 45,000 square foot Toyota dealership to be built, but I think that is meeting some opposition with the developers of Mackintosh on the Lake.

It was also approved Tuesday night to rezone land just west of the University Commons shopping center for a developer to build townhomes and apts... ~360 units in all i think.

they are clearing the land between the interstate and the service road that leads you to mackintosh on the lake. i am not sure what is actually going to be built on that land, but it looks like there is a lot of stuff going on there.

I don't think the Wal-Mart is moving... there is a new one being built on the other side of Burlington, but not as a replacement.

A while back, the CBL website had birds eye views of a basic plan of the whole shopping center as well as renderings of building facades. I remember seeing a 4 lane divided highway with a roundabout or 2 that started at the intersection of St. Marks Ch Rd and University Dr and connected with garden rd at boone station drive near the wal-mart shopping center. My assumption is that this road will probably be very similar to the Renaissance Pkwy. at the Streets of Southpoint.

I knew I forgot one. There also has been "talk" about west burlington wal-mart leaving for a new location.

Wal-mart moving is only a rumor. When Wal-mart starts becoming slightly obselete they tend to remodel or switch locations. The supercenter in west burlington is despite expanding a few years back is smaller than newer wal-marts and lacks the services such as a tire and lube center and gas station. Alot of people refer to Wal-mart leaving areas for new stores frequently as "Wal-mart blight" I would hate to see them move though the shopping center could be remodeled. Alamance Crossing will be an open-air shopping center similar to the outdoor portion of Southpoint Mall. Refering to an earlier post, the other side of exit 140 will be the retail component of Mackintosh on the Lake. Also Cox Toyota has proposed a new dealership on that side of the interchange. Bonner Bridge Pkwy, a 4 lane highway serving as a new entrance to Mackintosh on the Lake is also being constructed near that side of the interchange. Their has also been a number of retail proposals including Burlington Station (including Carraba's and other retail shops) which would go across the street next to the University Commons shopping center.

Wal-mart moving is only a rumor. When Wal-mart starts becoming slightly obselete they tend to remodel or switch locations. The supercenter in west burlington is despite expanding a few years back is smaller than newer wal-marts and lacks the services such as a tire and lube center and gas station. Alot of people refer to Wal-mart leaving areas for new stores frequently as "Wal-mart blight" I would hate to see them move though the shopping center could be remodeled. Alamance Crossing will be an open-air shopping center similar to the outdoor portion of Southpoint Mall. Refering to an earlier post, the other side of exit 140 will be the retail component of Mackintosh on the Lake. Also Cox Toyota has proposed a new dealership on that side of the interchange. Bonner Bridge Pkwy, a 4 lane highway serving as a new entrance to Mackintosh on the Lake is also being constructed near that side of the interchange. Their has also been a number of retail proposals including Burlington Station (including Carraba's and other retail shops) which would go across the street next to the University Commons shopping center.

Mackintosh on the Lake has a retail component? Will it abut the interstate?

Mackintosh on the Lake has a retail component? Will it abut the interstate?

Yes, it will be on the side facing the interstate. It was part of the submitted plans a few years ago. They haven't mentioned it since construction. It has been mentioned in the Alamance News and Times News. No details have ben announced on it though. I can imagine with al of the retail coming to that area they will wait to see what best fits the development.

No pics, but I rode by yesterday and the land is cleared from the I-85/40 to Garden Road in some places.

Also, directly from the website..........

Alamance Crossing

(Formerly named Burlington Marketplace)

Burlington, NC

Opening August 2007

Projected Size: 870,000 square feet

Location: I-85/I-40 with excellent visibility and easy access

This lifestyle, department store anchored, open-air center features a mainstreet shopping environment with 2-3 department stores, a bookstore, restaurants and theaters as well as lifestyle national retailers.

Additional information coming soon.

The man-made lake in the middle of Alamance Crossing will be an excellent feature. The lake will have resturants and shoppes around it. It will also offer paddle boat rides. I hope the lake will have some sucess similar to the man made lake at Broadway on the Beach in Myrtle Beach. Anything remotely similar would be a success The new movie theater is also a great asset. Even though the Westend Cinema is a mile away, the Burlington market only has "1" real theatre. Often times I find myself personally going to Southpoint in Durham or Greensboro to catch a movie due to sell outs or lack of movies shown there. Alamance Crossing will serve its purpose allowing many Alamance, southern Caswell, And Eastern Guilford county residents the options of not having to travel 15-20 miles to Wendover Ave or Four Seasons. Suprisingly Burlington retail serves alot of people from the Caswell county area. Caswell county residents shopping in the Burlington Area will pick up as the area begins to offer more retail than Danville. People can stop saying....Theres nothing in Burlington.

That is a very old rendering, from the first plans submitted to the city. The new "South Point style" plans are much different, I was at the city council meeting when the new rendering was shown.

I would hope so. That rendering looks like a typical sprawl shopping center off of Wendover Ave in Greensboro.

Wal-mart moving is only a rumor.

Wal-Mart already owns land to build a new one on the west side of Burlington. Their lease it up in two years on the land they are on now. They often will buy land in anticipation of a move-making decisions later concerning specifics. My husband works part time at the West side Burlington Wal-Mart. This is what he has been told.

Personally-I doubt, even if they moved that it would leave a big box empty for long. With Alamance Crossing stretching to Garden Rd, a business would surely see that empty box as a prime location for something. It is just too small for a Wal-Mart anymore for reasons given already (lack of tire center, lack of gas station, lack of a decent garden center (I hate this time of year when they put it all out in the parking lot) etc)

Archived