University Commons

ILoveCallingNCHome

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fate of BS Mall is going to be interesting to watch after Alamance Crossing. There is a real danger of it being a blight spot in the middle of Burlington. Community planners need to be prepared to expect a dramatic decline of the mall after AC is built, and hopefully have a plan of action ready. The mall will either decline with mass vacancies or become a "dollar" store thrift spot...either option should be avoided. I doubt Burlington has the population to support to major shopping centers.

I predict Belk will leave Burlington Square for the new mall. They'd be crazy not to.

Actually, given the land involved....it probably will be accessible from the current mall exit (via Garden Rd/St Marks Church Rd)as well as the next exit down. (University Dr) It seems like it will be sort of how Southpoint is accessible from two exits.

From my understanding on another thread from this forum....the BS Mall is suppose to become the new Outlet mall eventually as it is now owned by prime outlets. Has anyone heard anything else concerning this? That would more than likely leave the blighted area where the outlets sit now.

Regardless, eventually it will become something. (even if as we have seen with CCM...torn down to make way for something new). High Point's two older mall areas are both something else now. (for example)

I have often wondered this as well and I think that Burlington Square wil be around longer than people may think. It benefits from a central and easy to access location and its close proximity to AC. It may end up being like becoming like North Hills and Crabtree Valley Malls in Raleigh (on a smaller scale of course) which are on adjacent exits 2 miles apart - both of those are doing wonderfully. BS sits in a near perfect place on the busiest road in Burlington and also in a spot that links west Burlington with central and even north Burlington with a fairly affluent trade area, bowling alley, grocery stores, popular restaurants, etc, etc, etc all within a 1-3 mile diameter. It is probably about 1-2 miles from AC and is easily accessible from BS without having to drive to I-85/40... I imagine people shopping at both because of their proximity and accessibility. However, if BS and AC share a substantial amount of tenants, the BS can call it a wrap. Additionally, once the loop around Burlington gets a little bit further along, that will also hasten the demise of BS mall.

The fate of BS Mall is going to be interesting to watch after Alamance Crossing. There is a real danger of it being a blight spot in the middle of Burlington. Community planners need to be prepared to expect a dramatic decline of the mall after AC is built, and hopefully have a plan of action ready. The mall will either decline with mass vacancies or become a "dollar" store thrift spot...either option should be avoided. I doubt Burlington has the population to support to major shopping centers.

I think BS will be around for a long time as long as they don't share similar tenants just as blburton stated before. People such as senior citizens favor malls that indoors because the climates controlled amoung other things. I can see BS in trouble if BMOC ever redevelops into something similar to a Briar Creek in Raleigh. Or even worse if the Mills Company decided to build a large indoor outlet mall similar to Concord Mills (maybe Alamance Mills :silly:) in that location and take advantage of the Triad and Triangle. (The second idea is just an idea i've thought about)

According to today's article in Burlington's Daily Times News,, Belk is leaving Burlington Square Mall to relocate at Alamance Crossing. The beginning of the end of Burlington Square is here, unfortunately. :(

I have often wondered this as well and I think that Burlington Square wil be around longer than people may think. It benefits from a central and easy to access location and its close proximity to AC. It may end up being like becoming like North Hills and Crabtree Valley Malls in Raleigh (on a smaller scale of course) which are on adjacent exits 2 miles apart - both of those are doing wonderfully. BS sits in a near perfect place on the busiest road in Burlington and also in a spot that links west Burlington with central and even north Burlington with a fairly affluent trade area, bowling alley, grocery stores, popular restaurants, etc, etc, etc all within a 1-3 mile diameter. It is probably about 1-2 miles from AC and is easily accessible from BS without having to drive to I-85/40... I imagine people shopping at both because of their proximity and accessibility. However, if BS and AC share a substantial amount of tenants, the BS can call it a wrap. Additionally, once the loop around Burlington gets a little bit further along, that will also hasten the demise of BS mall.

According to today's article in Burlington's Daily Times News,, Belk is leaving Burlington Square Mall to relocate at Alamance Crossing. The beginning of the end of Burlington Square is here, unfortunately. :(

I dont necessarily see that as true. Prime Outlets would not have bought the mall last year, knowing a new one was to be built, unless they had different plans in mind for it's future.

This is true... so you're thinking they may do something like a mini Concord Mills there?

I dont necessarily see that as true. Prime Outlets would not have bought the mall last year, knowing a new one was to be built, unless they had different plans in mind for it's future.

I wouldn't be suprised if BS is leveled similar to South Square in Durham and replaced by some mixed use development. blburton and IlovecallingNChome (or anyone else) I plan on doing a photo tour of Alamance County's Downtowns, City Park/Williams, and possibly Lake Mackintosh...any suggestions?

I wouldn't be suprised if BS is leveled similar to South Square in Durham and replaced by some mixed use development. blburton and IlovecallingNChome I plan on doing a photo tour of Alamance County's Downtowns, City Park/Williams, and possibly Lake Mackintosh...any suggestions?

I took some pictures of the art carousel horses and posted them on this thread

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25052

There are so many nice buildings in and around downtown...some really nice old churches....then there is a compare contrast between the old company shops depot and the new one...Oh and the carousel horse at the old depot has a lot of cool pictures from in and around Alamance County. That might would give you some good suggestions of places to take photos. If you go to City Park, go when it's busy to get the full effect. I have older pictures from before they redid the rides in the 1990's...that I am glad to have to compare to what it is now. You could do a group of photos of some of the parks around...perhaps

Oh and there is a major area where I am supposing the new Lab Corp building is being built. I havent had my camera the times I've road by it here lately to snap a shot...maybe you can get a picture of that too. It is on Main St.

Graham has two really nice older homes that have been renovated into usable buildings...one is a Nations Bank, the other is the Arts Counsel building beside of the public library there. From there you can also see the court building in the middle of the traffic circle in downtown. I love the way that looks. (and I love their usage of the older homes)

I was delivering phone books looking for one particular road out in the countryside near me...and found that it was an alternative way into the Machintosh on the Lake development now...old road and homes gone.

I have about 6-7 pictures I started taking one day of Downtown Gibsonville, but had to stop as there was some sort of wedding reception/party being held at Wades and I didnt want to intrude by going down the road taking pictures . .. your post reminds me I need to go finish that here soon.

I predict JCPenney is next....unless a replacement anchor for Belk is found soon...The JCPenney store is tiny, anyone know it's square footage? I'm not so sure about Sears leaving....Sears is oftentimes the last remaining anchor at dead malls, not that Burlington Square will neccesarily die, but they seem to hold out on their locations longer then other department stores...

I'm not so sure about Sears leaving....Sears is oftentimes the last remaining anchor at dead malls, not that Burlington Square will neccesarily die, but they seem to hold out on their locations longer then other department stores...

Since there is a super KMart right down the road, I would almost wonder if they might revamp it into a Sears Essential store..possibly

I would hit Davis Street's historical corridor. It's probably 1-2 miles northwest of downtown Burlington, but IMO, the homes are remniscent of Fisher Park in Greensboro. Also, Davis Street on the east side of downtown is a nice area, though not many people know about it. Downtown Gibsonville would be good also.

I wouldn't be suprised if BS is leveled similar to South Square in Durham and replaced by some mixed use development. blburton and IlovecallingNChome (or anyone else) I plan on doing a photo tour of Alamance County's Downtowns, City Park/Williams, and possibly Lake Mackintosh...any suggestions?

I would hit Davis Street's historical corridor. It's probably 1-2 miles northwest of downtown Burlington, but IMO, the homes are remniscent of Fisher Park in Greensboro. Also, Davis Street on the east side of downtown is a nice area, though not many people know about it. Downtown Gibsonville would be good also.

thanks blburton Davis Street was on of the places I intented on going, as well as Trollinger St.

Archived