Could Cecil Field reopen as a Navy Air Station?

A PDF file entitled "Cecil Field Fact Book" is available on coj.net. It is 219 pages, 12MB.

Page 14 is a map of the Field, and how it is currently divided among coj, FCCJ, JAA, FL DOT, et al.

Page 15 details the expenditures spent at Cecil since 1999, it totals $175mm in Federal, state and city funds.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its good to see someone is doing their homework. I wonder what Littlepage, Andy Johnson and the Better Westside Group have to say about this.

All this article says is that the number of homes in the crash zone in VA is many times higher than the number of homes in the Cecil zone. That has never been disputed.

I am glad to see the Navy isn't taking what either VA Beach or Jax say at face value. Oddly enough the city said that there were 75 houses in the crash zone, and the Navy is saying 46. Sounds to me like someone is using old data or they each define the APZ1 zone differently. Discrepancies like this will only bolster the opposition IMO.

From looking at the recent history of the mayor's office, as of now, I'll go by what the Navy says. I still don't understand why its so difficult to get solid facts on this issue. The best and easiest thing to do is take a current aerial and overlay the Navy's APZ1 zones over it, as well as overlay the level of projected sound decibals from the runways and flight paths. This alone will either bolster the noise and the lowering of property value issues or kill them.

My prediction: The return of the Navy to Cecil will not happen. Mini-mayor doesnt have the sack to push through anything where there is significant opposition so the whiners will have their way. I am a supporter of the proposal, but am not overwhelmingly enthusiastic about it. On the one hand, it would be good to have the additional jobs (and the well paid officer pilots), it would provide a boost to the local economy and I am a supporter of the military. On the other hand, sometimes the presence of servicemen leads to seedy developments with the strip bars and so forth. I agree that more study needs to be done as to the impact to the surrounding homes, but the neighbors' wishes should not necessarily control what happens.

My opinion is the proposal sucks. Do you think of a "boosted local economy" and nice neighborhoods in the locale of the current military bases (NAS Jax and Mayport)? Nope...you think of decreased property values, pawn shops, used car lots, bars and nudy bars. And what is the average wage of the enlisted servicemen (not the officers...the majority will be enlisted)?

Unfortunately, many of these establishments (ex. pawn shops, used car lots, bars, etc.) are kept in business by local residents as well, so I don't think we can single the Navy out for these. The city has the power to change or restrict zoning, so that becomes a non-issue.

Other than less than 70 or so homes, encroachment seems to be fairly minor at Cecil. Recently taken Depending on the flight paths (which no one has seemed to study yet) property values may not only stay steady, but go up substantially from the addition of 25,000 - 30,000 residents entering the market in a short amount of time.

Given that no one has clearly studied the benefits and negatives of re-opening Cecil, I still thinks its too early to call it a bad deal for Jax. On the other hand, I also think its too early to be willing to give $50 million when we can't even get a simple county courthouse built or the Landing parking deal issue resolved in a timely manner.

Peyton just held a press conf saying that he is withdrawing Jax's support for this base relocation.

I say lets put it to a vote. Mr.Peyton seems to be getting too wishy washy to me.Give em 50 mill. one week,change your position next week. I wonder if the NE Florida Builders Ass. had any influence on this.Ya think... :shades:

Archived