Easrshot on Coffee St.

• 9 months later...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a huge disappointment! I loved that place as well. It may have come a bit ahead of its time since most of the new downtown residential properties have not yet been finished or are on hold. :cry: Greenville cannot afford to be losing these kind of places. They are vital to the growth of the population in the city. I am very sick as a result of this, and the Intuition shop closures. :cry:

Man, this sucks! I loved going into the downtown earshot, although I felt almost out of place taking my kids in at times. Admittedly, it was just a little too far off of the beaten path for a lot of folks that frequent Main Street.

I agree about Intuition (for my wife's sake). She's still reeling over Oliver Jackson closing, but happy with the Paris Cafe taking its place.

There seem to be a few stores going out of business up and down Main Street. I'd think it's just typical retail turnover, but I really hope downtown gets another shot-in-the-arm anchor that could dramatically increase its momentum, just as the Peace Center, Bi-Lo Center and Reedy River falls did.

Earshot, Rush Wilson, Venti, etc. are/were all destination-type retailers since people will drive downtown specifically to shop there, but none of them really have the ability to draw large numbers of people that could result in spillover traffic that a large retailer such as a flagship Belk's or Target or the like could.

Downtown Greenville, and downtown Columbia more recently, lost much of their retail bases after large department stores pulled out. Hopefully they or something like them will return, even if it's in the County Square redevelopment. I also hope that McBee Station will be connected to Main Street by at least spruced-up sidewalks and a more appealing street scene that would help draw pedestrians who shop in those stores to Main Street as well.

There seem to be a few stores going out of business up and down Main Street. I'd think it's just typical retail turnover, but I really hope downtown gets another shot-in-the-arm anchor that could dramatically increase its momentum, just as the Peace Center, Bi-Lo Center and Reedy River falls did.

Earshot, Rush Wilson, Venti, etc. are/were all destination-type retailers since people will drive downtown specifically to shop there, but none of them really have the ability to draw large numbers of people that could result in spillover traffic that a large retailer such as a flagship Belk's or Target or the like could.

Downtown Greenville, and downtown Columbia more recently, lost much of their retail bases after large department stores pulled out. Hopefully they or something like them will return, even if it's in the County Square redevelopment. I also hope that McBee Station will be connected to Main Street by at least spruced-up sidewalks and a more appealing street scene that would help draw pedestrians who shop in those stores to Main Street as well.

The best example of a downtown Greenville retail "destination" is Mast General Store. It is a great step in the right direction, but I hope to see larger department stores return before all is done. What does everyone think about downtown Greenville's residential growth in relation to retail? What could be or have been done to retain stores such as Earshot ( :cry: ), Intuition, Bentley's, Scarboro, Enchantment, etc.? Are these stores beneficial to attracting and retaining residents, or are they more geared toward the shopping visitors/tourists? Personally, I think Earshot was precisely what downtown needed to push ahead in the music scene. I had planned to purchase multiple gifts/"bucks" there for friends and family over the holidays, but now I'll have to look elsewhere. I just cannot imagine why they couldn't have given the downtown store another year or two. There was no forewarning.

The best example of a downtown Greenville retail "destination" is Mast General Store. It is a great step in the right direction, but I hope to see larger department stores return before all is done. What does everyone think about downtown Greenville's residential growth in relation to retail? What could be or have been done to retain stores such as Earshot ( :cry: ), Intuition, Bentley's, Scarboro, Enchantment, etc.? Are these stores beneficial to attracting and retaining residents, or are they more geared toward the shopping visitors/tourists? Personally, I think Earshot was precisely what downtown needed to push ahead in the music scene. I had planned to purchase multiple gifts/"bucks" there for friends and family over the holidays, but now I'll have to look elsewhere. I just cannot imagine why they couldn't have given the downtown store another year or two. There was no forewarning.

I'm not sure if I am the lone voice saying this but I walked by Ear Shot a lot usually on the way the Coffee Underground or other place on main street as I usually park on coffee or Brown Street. Something about Ear Shot always seemed a little intimidating. I'm not sure if I had a hard time figuring out what the focus business way or if it seemed "out of my demographic" in the way it was decorated. I've had a hard time walking into other stores because they looked too 'fru-fru" or something.

Someone mentioned that is way 10 year ahead of it's time. I think the opposite. This kind of store would have been great before the advent of things like file sharing (which I don't support the illegal use of) iTunes, iPods, etc. Earshot seems like it's trying to compete against Internet and multimedia technology and it seems like a fruitless battle. The Horizon Records/ Bohemien Cafe seems like a much better business model in this day and age. People like my dad will go into Horizon but would never step foot into an Ear Shot. Not because Ear Shot isn't something for people like him but the layout of the store was definitly "no-dad" zone. My dad and other people his age would be a lot more comfortable with going to a place to burn custom disk than downloading. Most people I know in his demographic never download anything, even critial software updates unless I tell him he should. I can go to various locations downtown and download tunes and other stuff over the Internet over my laptop and have an "Ear Shot" experience without feeling like I'm being pressured in anyway.

Earshot would work better if it had a more traditional decor (Think of the Saskatoon Resteraunt) . It would also work better in more outlying areas of the county where more people don't have high speed internet connections or broadband.

Archived