Favorite Theme Park in NC

monsoon

What is your favorite Theme Amusement Park in NC?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Theme Amusement Park in NC?

• Carowinds - Charlotte
    • Emerald Point - Greensboro
    • Ghost Town in the Sky - Maggie Valley (currently for sale)
    • Nascar Fun Park - Concord
    • Santa's Amusement Land Park - Cherokee
    • Tweetsie RailRoad - Blowing Rock
    • Other (explain)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the list I've been to santa land, tweetsie, carowinds and emerald pt. I voted emerald point since it is local to us...and would be a nice place to visit on a day like today!

Also, does anyone remember the land of oz? I hear they still open one or two days in the fall. We went there a time or two growing up. It was themed after the wizzard of oz for those that never heard of it.

Gotta go with Carowinds on this one. With the water park and all, it really just adds a bonus. As a matter of fact, me and the fam are going down there next weekend. Emerald Point makes a close second though.

I don't like going to Paramount's Carowinds anymore. I get sad when I see how much the park is changed...they've ripped the "Carolina" right out of it. The Riverboat is gone, all the areas have been re-themed to Paramount movie crap, etc. Sure, there are more roller coasters than you can count, but the spirit of the park is dead. I'm sure Pat Hall is rolling in his grave...

It's much more fitting to call it Parawinds these days.

My favorite area theme park is Dollywood over in Tennessee. It has an all-around great atmosphere and the employees are the best. I also like Busch Gardens in Virginia.

In the state itself I like Tweetsie Railroad. Too bad it's future seems to be up in the air at the moment...

Also, does anyone remember the land of oz?

Man I wish Raleigh would get some sort of a theme park or water park. I imagine it would end up being somewhere on the outskirts of town though, like 540 in nort Raleigh or in east Raleigh off 40, somewhere between exits 300 to the 70 split. Maybe they can build it off Blue Ridge Road or Hillsborough St!!! j/k hehe. I can always dream right lol.

Man I wish Raleigh would get some sort of a theme park or water park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am sort of surprised they never have. I guess with Carowinds to the south and the park in Williamsburg VA to the north they(developers) just figured it would be too much. I am likewise surprised that a major theme park never built in Wilmington either (or Myrtle Beach for that matter (beyond the pavillion and the other thing down there)

I thought there would be more of these in NC, so please correct me if I missed one (especially in East NC)    So what is your favorite summer theme park in NC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What , no loving for Ray's Water Splash Park in Charlotte ?

Tides

Man I wish Raleigh would get some sort of a theme park or water park.

In the early 1970s Anheuser Busch considered building Busch Gardens (as well as a brewery) in Raleigh, but in the end it was determined that Williamsburg, Virginia had more tourism potential.

Greensboro, NC was also looked at...

So I turned on the TV this morning while I was getting ready 4 work and there was this commercial on, with a guy dressed in a giant waterdrop suit for Emerald Pointe, saying u can save $5 off on tickets at Burger King or something. I'd hate to have his job hehe

So I turned on the TV this morning while I was getting ready 4 work and there was this commercial on, with a guy dressed in a giant waterdrop suit for Emerald Pointe, saying u can save $5 off on tickets at Burger King or something. I'd hate to have his job hehe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL-I danced with a person that was dressed up as a people sized pig once for a barbeque place in Jamestown/Eastern High Point...I keep feeling like that commercial that was on Channel 48 in the late '80's is going to come back and haunt me one day(though my kids would love to see it)..

I am afraid I have to agree with you Dukeis#1. As someone old enough to remember Carowinds in its pre-Paramount days, the conversion from a Carolina's based theme to a generic theme based on corporate icons is really disappointing. They have even painted over most of the State Line markers that once wound through the park. (for those of you not in the know, the park straddles the NC/SC border)

I remember the Land of Oz from the late 1970s. Its still interesting to see relics from that theme park during skiing at Beech Mountain.

Archived