Avenue of The Arts?

GRguy

It seems that progress on the "cool" Avenue of the Arts has been excruciatingly slow. How hard is it to expose brick? The entire area is torn up and has been that way for a long time. Does anyone know an update? When is supposed to be completed?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Work progressing on the Avenue of the Arts

C77E3D90F54811D9B92AA54D18F73B1D.jpg

C91EA720F54811D9B368CB5D18F73B1D.jpg

They look to be doing a lot more than refinishing brick. I just can't believe all of the road construction downtown. Ionia, Fountain, Pearl (at least it is open now), Division, the Ottawa Street exit. I would not want to be an out-of-town visitor right now.

working with a client now who is recieving grants by the city to fix up his place, resturants and such comign down the pipe, also some new buildings going up in that area. brick by brick brotha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you referring to seperate development from the Dwelling Place Avenue of the Arts? If so, great to here more interest in this area of South Division. I can envision the whole street between Fulton and Wealthy being fully rehabbed in another 5 years.

You're very welcome. Those two are the rear of the "Martineau Block" of the project, while these two photos are of the "Kelsey" portion across the street (same project), which is actually 3 building stretching down Williams Street.

Kelsey Building - 235 S Division - Part of the Avenue of the Arts Project

http://macaa.com/pdf%20files/Case%20Studie...ase%20Study.pdf

5D1F03C0F09411D9ADAA605918F73B1D.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kelsey Building - Avenue of the Arts Project - Division at Williams

1459D9A0FACE11D993B1CA7118F73B1D.jpg

Pretty amazing actually.

It is interesting, as a Catholic Central grad, to see the neighborhood rapidly changing. The joke has always been the irony of the school being at Wealthy and Division. As a student it was definately a great experience spenidng the better part of 4 years downtown. Funny how now the school may end up being in a highly desirable section of Grand Rapids.

ps- the joke comes in from students that did not go to cc- people liked knocking the school for its location and "safety concerns" (there are NEVER problems with the neighborhood). the school has now been there for 100 years as of this coming school year, amazing how times change over the course of a century in a neighborhood.

Thanks again for the photos Dadof (sounds rather Russian, don't you think). I was in the Kelsey and the rear buildings before the current owners took over. There is great potential in the apartments, a fab view from the roof, and the facade of glazed terra cotta is awesome. While touring the rear building (boarded up and "secured" at the time), all of the sudden a rush of activity took place and scared me to death. We had come upon a place where a local "ho" was taking her tricks. They rushed out, I needed some vodka to recover.

It is interesting, as a Catholic Central grad, to see the neighborhood rapidly changing. The joke has always been the irony of the school being at Wealthy and Division. As a student it was definately a great experience spenidng the better part of 4 years downtown. Funny how now the school may end up being in a highly desirable section of Grand Rapids.

ps- the joke comes in from students that did not go to cc- people liked knocking the school for its location and "safety concerns" (there are NEVER problems with the neighborhood). the school has now been there for 100 years as of this coming school year, amazing how times change over the course of a century in a neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to get off topic too much, but CC's campus is pretty nice, where they have blocked off part of Sheldon. And I really like the Gymnasium (or Auditorium):

997EEBF0F54911D98367E7D018F73B1D.jpg

9B614080F54911D9A95D775418F73B1D.jpg

9D124BE0F54911D9AD2B445518F73B1D.jpg

And there is so much unique architecture along Division, like the old "Arcade", which used to connect to the old Coliseum on Commerce where the United Way is now:

84EB5F30FD2711D99B92CD9218F73B1D.jpg

And this building at 111 S. Division that is getting a makeover soon:

964528D0E98411D9A9F5E6CE18F73B1D.jpg

It will be interesting to see how the Calvinists and Artists get along together in this area ;)

Thanks again for the photos Dadof (sounds rather Russian, don't you think). I was in the Kelsey and the rear buildings before the current owners took over. There is great potential in the apartments, a fab view from the roof, and the facade of glazed terra cotta is awesome. While touring the rear building (boarded up and "secured" at the time), all of the sudden a rush of activity took place and scared me to death. We had come upon a place where a local "ho" was taking her tricks. They rushed out, I needed some vodka to recover.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: I missed this post before I replied to wyoming. I did not see any ho's around when I was taking pictures last week (and I don't think I would post them if I did ;) ) GRDadovich might not be bad username :P

• 9 months later...

I toured the Martineau Apartments and Calvin's new gallery during the dedication celebration yesterday. What a great project! The studio apartments are awesome -- the dream of every young starving artist! I met several of the artists (including the one who recently "redecorated" the exterior of 101 S. Division). I'm still kicking myself for forgetting my camera, but these guys have all kinds of activities going on so I expect I'll find my way back there soon.

More exciting stuff is still on the way for S. Division including the planned facade improvements for several more buildings and more affordable housing projects like the Kelsey Apartments and Verne Barry Place.

:yahoo:

[off topic: what ever happened to Budgie?]

Archived