Going west

netagurion

hello to everyone. Sorry for the double post its just that i need some advise from some people in the field, people who have done what I am trying to do, veterans if you will.

I live in Cleveland and I am graduating from the Maxine Levin Goodman College of Urban Affairs in December with a degree in Urban Planning and Econoic Dev. and I am very interested in moving west, (specifically San Jose.) I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how the job market is for people such as myself out there. Also, i am wondering about the crazy cost of living and whatnot is it hard to make ends meet etc.

Thanks for your help and insight.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you might get more info in you better define what area you might be thinking about. Are you only interested in the San Jose area? If not you might be better refining your title to let people know you want to know about San Jose or California. But I have noticed the US West forum seems to not have as much traffic as some of the other areas either. That might have something to do with it. I have some family in New Mexico, so I might be able to help if you were wanting info around that area of the country. But can't say I know a lot about about the rest of the west. Anyway let me know if you have any interest around the southwest, in particular, New Mexico.

I used to be a planner, redevelopment dude and transportation guy in San Jose - lived there for the last 12+ years until moving to Orlando. The market is very competitive out there, so be forewarned. Housing is exorbitant, but rents are relatively low at this time... however can turn on a dime. If you want some contacts, contact me privately.

Median home price is $749,000 the last I looked. So unless you make the big bucks, you can kiss buying real estate good-bye. The most useful site for getting a look at homes is www.mlslistings.com to get you an idea of the housing prices. Try searching for zip codes like 95125 (Willow Glen), 95124 (Cambrian), 95126 (College Park/Rose Garden) and 95123 (Blossom Valley). Japantown is an interesting place if you're looking to move there, as well as Downtown.

I lived in Orange County last year, not much help in regards to SJ, but this should help with the cost of living issues.

1. Make sure you do some research before you accept a job/salary offer. If you are coming from Cleveland your idea of what is a good salary will be different than most Californians. Do your research and negotiate a livable salary.

2. Buy a fuel efficient car. At $2.80/gallon you don't really want to be getting 8 mpg.

3. Live near your place of work. Traffic sucks, that's a fact and there is nothing you can do about it.

4. Everyone in California owns a car that is worth 2 times as much as they make in a year. The guy at McDonalds is probably driving a BMW with $2000 rims. Save your money for something else, like a decent place to live. I know people who live in sketchy neighborhoods because they would rather have a nice car. What kind of nonsense is that? Don't get caught up in that.

Be smart with your money and everything will be fine, I suspect after a few months it won't even bother you anymore. Good luck!

Archived