Peyton's Park Improvement List

bobliocatt

Millions needed for recreation upgrades

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19333949.shtml

Peyton has proposed upgrading the following parks from poor or fair condition to good condition, listed by council district:

District 1 - Arlington

Lake Lucina Elementary, 6527 Merrill Road, $218,000

District 2 - East Arlington

Buck Park, 11128 McCormick Road, $381,000

District 3 - West Beaches

Beachwood Center and Park, 11758 Marina Drive, $165,000

District 4 - Southside

Drew Park, 6621 Barnes Road S., $386,000

District 7 - Springfield and East Jacksonville

Russell Bill Cook Park, $84,500

Ray Owens Park, 1520 Sprinkle Drive, $100,000

Joseph Lee Center, 5120 Perry St., $25,000

Gamewell Tot Lot, 6608 Terry Parker Drive S., $76,800

Cesery Park, 2601 Cesery Blvd., $124,000

District 8 - Northwest Jacksonville

Yancey Park, 3352 Soutel Drive, $176,000

Barney Browning Park, 6014 Norwood Ave., $136,500

Lake Forest Elementary, 901 Kennard St., $35,100

District 9 - Northwest Jacksonville

Murray Drive Playground, 1187 Murray Drive, $25,400

Myrtle Avenue Park, 217 Myrtle Ave., $61,700

Florida C. Dwight Park, 1199 W. Church St., $71,100

Mitchell Center and Park, 1010 Acorn St., $34,400

Westbrook Center and Park, 905 Westbrook Road, $108,700

Brooklyn Park, 1201 Jackson St., $8,600

District 10 - Northwest Jacksonville

James Fields Park, 3327 Lane Ave., $268,000

Scott Park, 2745 Hamilton Circle, $30,800

District 11 - North Jacksonville and rural areas

Dinsmore Playground, 10632 Old Kings Road, $286,000

Alimacani Boat Ramp, 11086 Heckscher Drive, $145,200

District 12 - Westside

Wesconnett Elementary, 5869 105th St., $500,000

Jacksonville Heights Elementary, 7750 Tempest St., $9,300

Wesconnett Park, 6045 105th St., $12,700

Our Community Club Park, $363,400

District 14 - Westside

Murray Hill Art Center, 4327 Kerle St., $6,800

Timuquana Park, 4541 Timuquana Road, $55,400

Upgrades range from making sidewalks accessible for people with disabilities, restoring fields, renovating concession stands, replacing playground equipment and refurbishing tennis courts.

Total upgrades: about $3.9 million.

Source: City Hall

Proposed enhancements

Mayor John Peyton has proposed developing or expanding the following parks:

Losco Regional Park, 10851 Hood Road South, $1.5 million

Would include a nature center, boardwalks, parking and restrooms. Located in council district 5, Southside

Baymeadows Road/9A, 8000 Baymeadows Road E., $2.7 million

Would include roadways, parking, and concession building. Located in council district 13, Southside and the Beaches

Palmetto Leaves Regional Park, 5720 Greenland Road, $967,400

Would include parking, pavilions and restrooms. Located in council district 6, Mandarin

Huffman Boulevard Park, 2775 Huffman Blvd., $1.8 million

Would include parking, multi-use field and restrooms. Located in council district 3, West Beaches

Total cost about $7.7 million, which includes about $700,000 in contingency.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applaud the efforts but am I the only one to notice that the poor sides of town are getting ripped off here?  The middle and upper class areas are getting $100k+ renovations.  What about our more urban parks?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think District 9 is getting the brunt of it as well as some in Districts 12 and 14, but I don't know how big those parks are or their condition. I also see my old neighborhood in District 5 is being allocated $2.7 M in a definitely affluent area. Money goes where the money is. I'm also a little disappointed resources from the BJP are being given to JTB improvements, while I-10 is backed up for miles during rush hour.

Its good to see them finally begin to clean up the park system. However, I'm also disappointed that there isn't any money being given to Confederate/Klutho/Springfield chain of parks. I know Hogan's Creek is polluted and the city wants the Feds to help clean it, but that doesn't mean the playground equipment can't be replaced or a jogging path and sidewalks built.

am I the only one to notice that the poor sides of town are getting ripped off here? The middle and upper class areas are getting $100k+ renovations. What about our more urban parks?

I wouldnt say that Wesconnet, Dinsmore and Myrtle Avenue are rich areas. It appears that poorer areas are represented on this list. The older sections have more parks to start with also as compared with newer areas like Mandarin and the Southside. I think the main problem is it doesnt address the shameful status of the Confederate/Klutho/Springfield chain of parks, as Lakelander mentioned. I just think they should fix these since they are adjacent to downtown, so can be used by everyone, and have so much potential.

Let's see here...

There are $263mm in Park repairs and improvements needed.

Peyton's budget allocates 13.9mm towards these improvements.

The operating budget for Parks is REDUCED 4.9%, while the number of parks is increasing.

Ignoring the recommendations of his own committee, no additional funding sources have been identified.

Again ignoring his own committee, the patronage system in place for getting park repairs done will not be altered. This system ensures city council reelection but also ensures disparity and ineffeciency in allocating resources.

I'd say Jax is well on it's way to having not only the biggest but the best park system in the nation..... in say the year 2525.

I realize the budget is tight, but that is all the MORE reason to put a better (ie less parochial) funding system in place. Yet another mediocre initiative under the Peyton administration.

Peyton seems to be a bit of a Mandarin & Southside guy. I wonder if he knows where Confederate Park is?

To be honest, with all of the committees and consultants that he has hired to do his job, I wonder if he knows where the St. James Building is!

Millions needed for recreation upgrades

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19333949.shtml

Peyton has proposed upgrading the following parks from poor or fair condition to good condition, listed by council district:

--snip--

District 1 - Arlington

Lake Lucina Elementary, 6527 Merrill Road, $218,000

District 7 - Springfield and East Jacksonville

Russell Bill Cook Park, $84,500

Ray Owens Park, 1520 Sprinkle Drive, $100,000

Joseph Lee Center, 5120 Perry St., $25,000

Gamewell Tot Lot, 6608 Terry Parker Drive S., $76,800

Cesery Park, 2601 Cesery Blvd., $124,000

--snip--

Does it seem odd to anyone else that Cesery Park and Gamewell Tot Lot are included in District 7 instead of District 1? Both are solidly in Arlington (Cesery Park [near Cesery and Merrill] is about 2 miles from Lake Lucina Elementary [at the corner of Merrill and Rogero]) 6608 Terry Parker Drive is near Rogero Rd., just north of Arlington Rd..

Archived