Hypothetical Florida Split

Brickell

Where should the new border be?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the new border be?

• Suwannee River
    • North of Central (south of Levy, Marion, Putnam and Flagler)
    • Orlando North/Tampa South
    • Tampa North/ Orlando South
    • South of Central (North of Lee, Hendry and Palm Beach)
    • Miami-Dade only
    • other

Less Democratic but no less liberal from my experience.  The Left/Right scale gets skewed down here from the typical American one.  Socially progressive with a mind your own business bent. 

Also from my experience, The I-4 corridor isn't all that different culturally from the rest of the south.  More urban and metropolitan with a bunch more northerners, but in my opinion retains it's southern roots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But aren't all large cities more liberal than their suburbs and rural areas ?

Oh, and 'progressive' is another name for an idea tries thirty years ago, which failed. ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the exact opposite of your statement is true and that could be why the Tampa North/Orlando South split is tied...

IMO, Metro Orlando is somewhat conservative, but moreso in the northern burbs than in the city center & southern Orlando. There seems to be a more progressive attitude toward social/economic issues now that the area has grown in population & industry. Granted, this area is HQ to numerous religious organizations, but politically; Orlando is very moderate.

I've faced a quite different attitude in Metro Tampa. Yes, they are an older city with more established industry, but IMO, there still appears to be a regressive attitude toward social/economic issues and a lot of folks down there are VERY conservative. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place in Tampa...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is all this code for how people feel about taxation ? :)

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm, being that you're prahaboheme ?  ;)

In any case, it is a common practice to assume a good connotation for the term.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought I was going to be forced to speak in emoticons, but you are WAY slicker than that Dale!

I always figured Orlando has more in common with North Florida and Tampa seems to have more in common with South Florida so thats where the split should be, with Gainseville or Tally becoming the new capital of North Florida and West Palm the new capital of South Florida.

This is correct.  West FL, under British rule, used to continue all the way to the Lousiana border.

Under Spanish rule, West Florida extended all the way to the Mississippi River (including part of present Louisiana). English speakers in the area led a rebellion in 1810 that succeeded defeating the Spanish and creating the West Florida Republic, which was independent for roughly 3 months before being annexed into USA. Its capital was St. Francisville, LA.

I think we would all agree that when you get to around the Tampa Orlando latitude parallel, Florida suddenly changes. From this parallel south you get an influx of Northerners who rule the state rather than staunch, firm southerners. I am not against this, but in my opinion Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota, and even Orlando and Tampa Bay area have become ruled and over-ruled by people from outside of this state. So maybe, hypothetically, there should be a line drawn just North of Orlando and split the state into. Just a hypothetical analysis based on this posting.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

That would make Jax and pan handle cities the only true southern cities in florida. if you go to jax's forum and look at the thread about living in jax, there is a high majority of people who have lived here for all their entire life which i think backs up the facts of it not being swamped by northerners coming south.

I disagree, Jax is one of the most diverse cities in Florida. Most of the professionals and people I interact with tend to have migrated here in recent years. A couple of months ago, there was a language study posted on this forum, that would back my claims. The city government may be still run by long time locals, but population isn't as local as everyone thinks.

Of course Jacksonville has many Yankees now as does any large Southern city. I think the essential difference between Jacksonville and other large FL cities is Jacksonville had a large core of Southerners living here before the era of mass Northern immigration to FL. For example, in 1950 we had 250,000 people in Jacksonville already (if memory serves me). So, the Northerners who move here may assimilate and become Southerners over time whereas someone moving to previously unpopulated Orlando or Ft Lauderdale faced no such assimilative pressures. Also, even today there are large numbers of people moving to Jacksonville from other Southern states. I cant even count the number of people I know who have moved here from Georgia and Alabama, for example.

My step dad was born in Queens. When he moved to tallahassee in the early 80's he worked at a 76 station, bought a ford truck, big wheels, and a chainsaw. He has not looked back since. He describes the southern lifestyle as being allowed to have toys as long as you can convince your wife it will serve a function. The only way you can tell he is a yank,... his driving.

Due to this guy, and my southern bell mother, i speak with a wild accent half Queens, half tallahassee. I sound like a civil war desserter.

****I dont like this topic because I feel as though the whole aspect of division brings back those ole, not so fond memories of segregation. As a black man from Liberty City, Miami, lives in Jacksonville and go to school in Tallahasse I have a BROAD prospective of this state. I hear you all talking about southerners in North Florida and the Minority rule of South Florida and begin to ask myself, Are some of you (not all) sort of racist in some shape or form. Im just stating my honest opinion.*****

****I dont like this topic because I feel as though the whole aspect of division brings back those ole, not so fond memories of segregation. As a black man from Liberty City, Miami, lives in Jacksonville and go to school in Tallahasse I have a BROAD prospective of this state.  I hear you all talking about southerners in North Florida and the Minority rule of South Florida and begin to ask myself, Are some of you (not all) sort of racist in some shape or form. Im just stating my honest opinion.*****

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am a black man and a staunch Southerner, and I agree with most of the stated opinions in this posting. It's true that North Florida is primarily the "old south," the true blue Florida with most of the State from Ocala/Orlando South being comprised of Northeners. This is the truth. I don't think it has nothing to do with racism.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Of course Jacksonville has many Yankees now as does any large Southern city.  I think the essential difference between Jacksonville and other large FL cities is Jacksonville had a large core of Southerners living here before the era of mass Northern immigration to FL.  For example, in 1950 we had 250,000 people in Jacksonville already (if memory serves me).  So, the Northerners who move here may assimilate and become Southerners over time whereas someone moving to previously unpopulated Orlando or Ft Lauderdale faced no such assimilative pressures.  Also, even today there are large numbers of people moving to Jacksonville from other Southern states.  I cant even count the number of people I know who have moved here from Georgia and Alabama, for example.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is what i meant lakelander. i know jax has "yankees" im just sayign before all that there was a southern core as gator said. and hes also correct when he states that most newcomers are from southern states. i can attest to that since i moved from NC here 7 years ago.

edit:95 souf i dont think racism has anything to do with it. its more culture that im talking about than anything else. way of living.

As a white guy who dated a black girl, we encountered racsism all over florida, but only when we were in small towns. None of the Big cities would even take notice of us. When we would travel, we would spend five days or so in a city, and that is plenty of time to experience the city. Of the Bigs, I think we had the hardest time in tampa. But more from the black men and more of a teasing fasion than tru blue prej. I think florida is tops in the region as far as "hiding" rascism.

Well, I certainly wasnt talking about racism. When I talk of Southerners and Northerners (Yankee is just shorthand for this - there is a baseball team named this, I didnt think it was a bad word), I am referring to cultural differences, such as accents, food, architecture, etc. I dont even remember mentioning race. In fact, "Yankees" are primarily white people anyway. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Archived