Hypothetical Florida Split

Brickell

Where should the new border be?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the new border be?

• Suwannee River
    • North of Central (south of Levy, Marion, Putnam and Flagler)
    • Orlando North/Tampa South
    • Tampa North/ Orlando South
    • South of Central (North of Lee, Hendry and Palm Beach)
    • Miami-Dade only
    • other

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The state of South Florida should be the counties that don't know how to vote correctly. Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and we'll even give Monroe away so they can have 2 coasts. The State of South Florida :thumbsup: P.S. and we will split the electoral so that N. Florida has 13 electoral votes and S. Florida has 12 electoral votes. :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in college I wrote a short story about the state splitting exactly along the line proposed in option number two.

The northerners came up with the theory, desiring to have political power back after having lost it to the population growth of south Florida, and the southerners went along with it because they were glad to be rid of the rednecks up north.

Of course, for the first year or so the southern state (Playantano) was politically hamstrung because they couldn't choose a state capital. Delegates from cities that had lost the honor refused to meet in the chosen capital (Lakeland) and set up shadow governments around the state.

The poor rural counties in the center (Highlands, Okeechobee, Glades, Hendry, DeSoto, and Hardee) felt they would be ignored by the other, more populous counties, and tried to secede from the new state to rejoin old Florida. Key West seceded unilaterally and set up the Conch Republic.

Ultimately, the two states ended up fighting a climactic naval battle on Lake George (part of the St. Johns south of Palatka) using mostly bass boats and armed jet skis.

It was written as straight farce, of course... but when I watch the way our state works, I often wonder whether things would have turned out any better in reality.

Playantano -- great name... Playa + pantano (beach + swamp) :)

We'd probably also have serious water wars, especially since the jurisdiction of the South Florida Water Management District goes up to the Upper Chain of Lakes in Osceola County. We'd have to set up comprehensive interstate compacts, maybe even setting up some kind of bi-state agency like the Port Authority of NY/NJ to divvy up the water.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived