Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well we could also make a thread dedicated to the canal walk if yall think it will generate enoughdiscussion to hold its own. The lady bird and other future developments could start in there as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm always willing to talk about the canal/riverfront area.

good article in the paper about everything happening on the canal and how it is slowly transforming into the destination it was built to become.....I wish we knew more about ROTJ tenants. So far its just that sandwich shop....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, coupe, for giving this topic its own thread. Must have been a job to transfer all our talk over here, but then, you know I don't understand the mechanics of posting.

Are you going to post today's article so we out-of-towners can see and enjoy it? Or maybe you were referring to an earlier article.

Gracia tonto! :lol:

well actually, its still Vdogg that must switch everything over. Much Kudos to him, since within minutes of my request, the job was done. here's that article burt:

full article:

Canal Walk area breeding buzz Condominiums will soon see residents move in, and new music venue is on way

some notable quotes:

"Six years after opening, the $52 million Canal Walk remains an attractive but largely empty and quiet place. But it may be poised for a little noise.

As early as this weekend, residents could begin moving into the 122 sold-out condominiums at Riverside on the James. The $90 million project on Brown's Island also includes office space that is filling up, a parking deck and planned retail space.

And Dec. 1 is the target opening of a nightclub and restaurant in the Lady Byrd Hat building on Virginia Street near the Turning Basin. The club, tentatively called Toad's Place Richmond and modeled after a Toad's Place in New Haven, Conn., is expected to hold 1,400 to 1,500 patrons over three levels and attract a caliber of bands that usually bypass Richmond."

""You spend $90 million on 4

I don't know if any of you saw or not but when I looked at the map of the canal walk in the Newspaper. I noticed that they had numbers that stood for Office Commercial Development and Future Mixed Use development. Does this mean that theres is more being put together than we think there is. I mean if there is I bet you when he hear about all of it its going to be awesome.

I don't know if any of you saw or not but when I looked at the map of the canal walk in the Newspaper. I noticed that they had numbers that stood for Office Commercial Development and Future Mixed Use development. Does this mean that theres is more being put together than we think there is. I mean if there is I bet you when he hear about all of it its going to be awesome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Joey. I read the story but RTD did not provide pictures or graophics on line. If anybody knows how to post those pics/graphics (if it's legal), I wish they would so I could see them. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of those just denote what has to be built there if/when the property is reused. A good example of that is the Alcoa property (sites 7 and 8 in the paper), which currently has nothing planned for it. When the site is sold and/or redeveloped, though, it will be a mixed use development.

okay, I can't figure this out. I see that the Richmond Riverfront website has the Alcoa sites up for potential development. However, I've also heard they have no plans to move, yet at the same time, developers are looking into their properties. How would it all work out? Is the land potentially for sale? I wonder what Alcoa's thoughts are on this. I also wish we knew which potential areas developers were looking at the develop that are owned by alcoa (they own a lot around the canal). I'd love to see the canals connected by more than that dumb wooden staircase next to Alcoa. On the flip side, when I've been down there, I've seen those big robotic machines working inside the Alcoa plant when they have the door open.....its very cool to watch!

okay, I can't figure this out. I see that the Richmond Riverfront website has the Alcoa sites up for potential development. However, I've also heard they have no plans to move, yet at the same time, developers are looking into their properties. How would it all work out? Is the land potentially for sale? I wonder what Alcoa's thoughts are on this. I also wish we knew which potential areas developers were looking at the develop that are owned by alcoa (they own a lot around the canal). I'd love to see the canals connected by more than that dumb wooden staircase next to Alcoa. On the flip side, when I've been down there, I've seen those big robotic machines working inside the Alcoa plant when they have the door open.....its very cool to watch!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Brent mentioned that the industrial aspects are not to be ignored - such as peeking into the belly of the beast! :)

Maybe our Ship Shops, by arrangement with the Rocketts Landing marina, could travel between the two sites offering their wares - half a day downstream, and half in the canal! Boy, we'll keep the Great Ship Lock so busy it will require constant maintenance!!! :lol:

Richmond - Little Bangkok!! B)

There is a safety situation I fear. Crossing Dock street, as a pedestrian, requires extreme alertness. There's a lot of traffic, and with the ramp off the Mayo Bridge and crooks and turns near Bottoms Up, you have to be pretty agile to dodge cars. :o

okay, I can't figure this out. I see that the Richmond Riverfront website has the Alcoa sites up for potential development. However, I've also heard they have no plans to move, yet at the same time, developers are looking into their properties. How would it all work out? Is the land potentially for sale? I wonder what Alcoa's thoughts are on this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Th official word from Alcoa right now is that they are not looking to sell, although plenty people are interested. Behind the scenes though, at least from what I've heard, they are giving serious thought to selling the sites mentioned earlier in the thread. I think it's just a matter of what they want for it vs. what developers are willing to pay for it. That's why I'm placing my bets on Daniel; they've got the money, momentum, and desire to make it happen.

Coupe, is it possible to post that map of proposed and/or hoped-for canal developments on this site? Or would that be redundant since it's probably somewhere else in the forum?

Ryan's got some great shots of ROTJ and parts of Alcoa in his July gallery on RCW.

Pirate, what do you know about potential tenants for the Power Plant? :huh:

Unfortunately, the same things that you know.  They've been pretty good at keeping new developments under wraps, but I'll see if I can't dig something up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dig deep! Those poor people though they were moving into a development with entertainment and restaurants, not just a deli.

With Alcoa, I wonder if they finally decided to give in, would they remain in the Richmond area? It would be a shame to lose them since Reynold's was such a big part of the area. I'll see about posting that map..

Pirate, coupe has in his recent Richmond pictures an interior shot of the Power Plant, and it appears to me that some type of decor work is going on within.

Now that Toad's Place is a "go", I lean to a really upscale dining experience there rather than a jumping club. :)

The power Plant foto is on page 5 of Richmond Pictures/.

Ah, neat!  I haven't seen this map.  #8 is already spoken for by Vistas.  But wonder why the block between 9th and 10th isn't included in #'s 2, 3 7 & 8?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Burt.....Vistas is actualyl #11, and the block you are referring to is actually where Riverfront Plaza sits :)

Archived