Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know a gentleman named Hal Wingo? I remember reading his very detailed and intelligent discussion of Richmond's canal walk several years ago. He, as far as I know, was the first to publicly stress the importance of connecting the canals.

Someone sent me the RTD Commentary section dated August 7th and therein is a letter to the editor from Mr. Wingo. He speaks of the enticing San Antonio waterway which offers leisurely boat rides and river float parades. He points out, and I quote: "The sad fact about Richmond's Canal Walk is that it is not and can never be a very useful or enticing waterway, as it includes two separate canals of different sea level, thus making any kind of serious water activity virtually impossible. After all the time and money Richmond spent studying the San Antonio model, did no one realize that making the water itself usable was the most important ingredient for success?"

Amen, Mr. Wingo. Bring on the boat lifts and the Ship Shops! :)

burt I'd like to read this letter from Wingo....maybe we should track him down and tell him about our Shop Ships :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coupe, I misplaced the letter, but if you can bring it up online, it was on the editorial page Sunday, August 7th.

Yea for the Shop Ships Ship Shops! :lol:

Coupe, I misplaced the letter, but if you can bring it up online, it was on the editorial page Sunday, August 7th.

Yea for the Shop Ships Ship Shops! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder what it would take to make the canals themselves useable again? I don't think they should even try to make the lock system functional, that would be too expensive and that system just isn't necessary anymore. I think instead they should put chutes where there are now locks. Can you imagine being able to kayak or intertube through there. That would be a blast!

I wonder what it would take to make the canals themselves useable again? I don't think they should even try to make the lock system functional, that would be too expensive and that system just isn't necessary anymore.  I think instead they should put chutes where there are now locks. Can you imagine being able to kayak or intertube through there. That would be a blast!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi friend. Start reading this thread from page one and see what we have suggested. And keep posting with ideas, please! :)

• 2 weeks later...

WHO RUNS THE CANALS? LISTEN UP!!! Run some flags up those poles at the foot of 5th street. It's rediculous to have them poking up to the sky naked. Shame on you! Also shame on you for not hiring some kids to clean the trash and algae from the murky waters. And shame on you for not allowing some canoe/kayak/boat traffic on the canal(s) - at least, the Haxall.

LIFE is what is needed down there - with a youthful emphasis, and not just on the occasional festival day!

Also, I'm beginning to fear that our hope for Ship Shops (and indeed, a canal extension) is dimming. CSX owns the trestle along the navigable section of JR&K canal. I cannot imagine they would be amenable to having pedestrian traffic under their slow-moving trains. :angry:

CSX is lame....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose I was pretty harsh in attacking the canal-keepers, but it irked my soul to see the filth and algae in the Haxall; surely, a couple of kids could be hired while off from school to patrol the shallow water and rake up the mess. And of course, the entire World must know how depressing I find those naked flag poles . The fountain at foot of 7th street was beautifully flowing on weekdays, but was dry as a bone Saturday as I drove by on a final inspection enroute to the airport. There must be some stupid law preventing boaters from using the lonely waters of Haxall. It was about noon on both of my visits to the Haxall canal walk (which is lovely), but I saw only about 5 joggers each time. What does it take to attract visitors?

What does it take to attract visitors?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cayote ugly would help :) also, if something was developed on the ethyl site, it would provide an entertainment and retail venue at the western terminus of the canal walk thus increasing traffic there and possibly to the tredegar center as well.they used to give boat rides of some sort there, there is even a little dock as evidence..... if the canals were connected, I think it would do wonders. It is a necessity.

I thought this would be the best place for this article...

Lady Byrd Hat: Historic transformation

Good article on the details of Ms. Byrd's transformation....

some good excerpts:

---- "Fulton Hill Properties, is transforming the historic Lady Byrd Hat building into three floors of office, retail and restaurant space.

The 48,000-square-foot building has 150 feet of frontage on the canal and will make good use of it, with outdoor dining areas on the canal level and on balconies overlooking it.

Lady Byrd dates to 1896 and stands at 140 Virginia St., near the Turning Basin, where canal boats are docked. It also is near the planned site of the 162-unit Vistas on the James condominium development."

"One of Lady Byrd's main tenants is slated to be Toad's Place Richmond, which is officially being called a "performance venue" but will resemble a large nightclub and restaurant. An opening this winter is scheduled. By spring, patrons may be able to sit by the canal and listen to music performed on a floating stage."

Floating stage?! Sounds prettty awesome actually... sounds a lot like the ship shops courtesy of burt and I... haha well at least its a cool first step! can't wait to see what this floating stage will be like!

• 2 weeks later...

okay if this post gets tacked onto the last one it's gonna piss me off....

but anyways, seems that Alcoa is debating moving much of its North American operations elsewhere.... potential bad news for the people that work for Alcoa in Richmond but it might be good news for our Canal Walk development......

Alcoa may shift production out of N. America...

okay if this post gets tacked onto the last one it's gonna piss me off....

but anyways, seems that Alcoa is debating moving much of its North American operations elsewhere.... potential bad news for the people that work for Alcoa in Richmond but it might be good news for our Canal Walk development......

Alcoa may shift production out of N. America...

Sorry to say...it didn't work right...I wonder what could be causing that...probably this new "upgrade" :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Canal was beautiful today.... Work is coming along well at the Toad's Place but I feel like it won't be finished till early '06.... they still have a lot of work to do it seems.

Yeah the last time I passed by there the ground level was still literally ground... just dirt and debris. Quick question. Is there supposed to be a deck/patio associated with this project? Would be great to be able to dine outside overlooking the Canal.

Archived