Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great News!

The Canal Walk East expansion could begin by this spring! The city believes it will spur even more development along the city's riverfront.

There's also talk of creating canal cruises in the Kanawha to as far west as Maymont! It still needs funding, but to hear people discussing it and trying to get it together is awesome!

Big Blast Planned for City's Birthday

City officials are hoping at least to have an extension of the Canal Walk to Great Shiplock Park under construction if not completed. Work could start this spring.

"The good news is it is funded, and it's going to open up a new development core," said William E. Harrell, the city's chief administrative officer.

Some projects may miss 2007 party...

A proposed restoration of the Kanawha Canal, which would allow scenic boat rides between Tredegar and Maymont, remains a good idea, but it will require extensive engineering and $5 million to $20 million, said Geoffrey Platt, executive director of the Maymont Foundation.

"I think we continue to believe it's a project worth continuing with careful study," he said. "I don't think anyone's in a position to say that it's going to happen."

Great News!

The Canal Walk East expansion could begin by this spring! The city believes it will spur even more development along the city's riverfront.

There's also talk of creating canal cruises in the Kanawha to as far west as Maymont! It still needs funding, but to hear people discussing it and trying to get it together is awesome!

Nice to see more and more people trying to make use of Richmond's best assett. Great Shiplock Park is right in fron t of Tobacco Row right? There's also a new bike trail going along that side of the river west to Maymont and the Nickel Bridge. Once it's complete it's going to make for an amazing loop running from the Nickel Bridge on the south side, down to Belle Island, across the river to Tredegar, then west, running by Oregon Hill, Hollywood Cemetary, and finally back to Maymont/Nickel Bridge again.

Great News!

It's nice to see that the recent draining of the canal could possibly be for the renovation of the canal! I was hoping that this was the case! I think that the area right in front of Tobacco Row would be an excellent place on the canal to put your floating retail idea to work, burt and Coupe. I can't wait to see this portion of the canal walk get moving! I'm excited! Great News!

I think an idea like our ship shops is the only thing that can really make the eastern canal a destination. With the RR on both sides, as well as a park, it seems like the logical thing to do. Granted, there are amenities 1 block to the north along the proposed expansion in Tobacco Row. But I think without some sort of floating retail/restaurants, we'd be hard pressed to find any kind of canal level pedestrian focus that is being created on the western canal. The biggest issue is the RR bridge that no longer lifts. It seems tough to implement without that happening.

Apparently, in late December, the developers of Rockett's landing purchased the land just to the east of the shiplocks. So, it seems that in the long term, Rockett's Landing will indeed stretch right up to the eastern terminus of Tobacco Row.

BTW, the city's Downtown Plan calls for providing a link between Libby Hill Park and the Canal Walk's future terminus at Great Shiplock Park via Pear St:

Great Ship Lock Park will be another focal point of the Canal Corridor, but with a less urban atmosphere than the other focal points. The park and its surroundings provide the potential for connecting the canal system to other, more passive recreational opportunities at Chapel Island and Libby Hill Park. Canal Walk East will also provide connectivity to planned developments east of Downtown. This critical linkage should be secured through continuous public access to the riverfront, such as a river walk promenade extending from Great Ship Lock Park into Henrico County.....The area around Pear Street and Great Ship Lock Park needs overall enhancements to link it to Libby Hill Park.

BTW, the city's Downtown Plan calls for providing a link between Libby Hill Park and the Canal Walk's future terminus at Great Shiplock Park via Pear St:

I have some trepidation about extending Pear Street up the hill side to Libby Hill Park. It is such an oasis of quietude and charm, a new road might intrude.

You know, there already is a blocked-off circuitous road from Main Street to the top. And I'll bet you didn't know that Libby Hill was once called Marshall Square!

I think an idea like our ship shops is the only thing that can really make the eastern canal a destination. With the RR on both sides, as well as a park, it seems like the logical thing to do. Granted, there are amenities 1 block to the north along the proposed expansion in Tobacco Row. But I think without some sort of floating retail/restaurants, we'd be hard pressed to find any kind of canal level pedestrian focus that is being created on the western canal. The biggest issue is the RR bridge that no longer lifts. It seems tough to implement without that happening.

Apparently, in late December, the developers of Rockett's landing purchased the land just to the east of the shiplocks. So, it seems that in the long term, Rockett's Landing will indeed stretch right up to the eastern terminus of Tobacco Row.

Coupe, I'm not sure that Rocketts Landing is in possession of the land adjacent to Great Ship Lock. I believe Jerry Cable still owns that cleared parcel. It was to have been the site of his Rocketts Wharf.

Don't worry burt, I don't think there are plans to run Pear up that steep incline. Instead, I think the Plan wants the two parks to become more connected. Sprucing up Pear, as well as pedestrian access between the two is important.

Coupe, I'm not sure that Rocketts Landing is in possession of the land adjacent to Great Ship Lock. I believe Jerry Cable still owns that cleared parcel. It was to have been the site of his Rocketts Wharf.

I think it was sold very recently:

"The three pieces sold 12/30/05 for $5,250,000 to USP Rocketts, LLC, whose address is 7777 Leesburg Pike, #420, Falls Church, VA 22043 according to the MLS tax service"

So, Jerry Cable's out of the picture! Thanks for the info, coupe. Thus, Rocketts Landing really will expand as far as Great Ship Lock Park.

I just don't want to see Marshall Square over run! :)

Wouldn't it be neat if they put in a cable car running up that steep incline from Ship Lock to Marshall Square. But, whatever, Pear Street could do with some TLC. :)

haha a cable car would be neat, but we'll probably have to wait until there is more critical mass down there for something like that to happen.

Best I can tell, Mr. Cable's out and Rockett's are in. My suspicions are further bolstered by the NoVa address for USP Rockett's LLC. WVS Companies, which has partnered with Abelhoff to create Rockett's Landing, is based in Northern Virginia. They are probably quietly acquiring many of the parcels in the area as we speak.

Critical mass is a term wrapped in bull and I despise it.

Anyway Burt... yet again you show you were around then! Libbie Hill was named for a man of that last name. His house is at 29th and Libby Terr and he only lived there like 5 years and his name stayed.

Don't worry, Pear St is staying where it is... come on now! It's even hard for me to imagine the streets that used to climb the hill. And Pear Street is rough on pedestrians... hikers should be the term. I've walked it a couple of times and boy... hills can kill. Oh it's ALL GOOD going down hill!

haha a cable car would be neat, but we'll probably have to wait until there is more critical mass down there for something like that to happen.

Best I can tell, Mr. Cable's out and Rockett's are in. My suspicions are further bolstered by the NoVa address for USP Rockett's LLC. WVS Companies, which has partnered with Abelhoff to create Rockett's Landing, is based in Northern Virginia. They are probably quietly acquiring many of the parcels in the area as we speak.

Coupe, I think that company has built a Rocketts Landing prototype on the Potomac south of Mt. Vernon and not far from Woodbridge. Check it out with your camera if you get a chance.

Critical mass is a term wrapped in bull and I despise it.

Anyway Burt... yet again you show you were around then! Libbie Hill was named for a man of that last name. His house is at 29th and Libby Terr and he only lived there like 5 years and his name stayed.

Don't worry, Pear St is staying where it is... come on now! It's even hard for me to imagine the streets that used to climb the hill. And Pear Street is rough on pedestrians... hikers should be the term. I've walked it a couple of times and boy... hills can kill. Oh it's ALL GOOD going down hill!

Hahaha! Guess your age is showing, too, Old Chap!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This seems like a pretty big event for Richmond to land!

LG Action Sports World Tour Coming to Richmond Riverfront

some great excerpts:

The LG Action Sports World Tour will be a centerpiece of the second annual James River Adventure Games, the two-day festival that features a mixture of sports, music and fireworks and is held at riverfront venues that include Brown

okay, so I've been looking at ways to create a good pedestrian link between Libby Hill Park and Great Shiplock Park along the Pear street corridor....

Just trying to navigate that intersection is dangerous in a car, trying to do it on foot sounds like suicide! But, I think there's a way to do it. The slope is pretty steep leading to the top of LHP. Why not build a pedestrian bridge across Main st, which could also double as a gateway into Shockoe Bottom (some sort of engraving or signage across the ped. bridge saying "Shockoe Bottom" or something to that effect)? Steps or ramps down for the pedestrian bridge would only be required on the south side of main. On the Libby Hill side, the end of the bridge could be incorporated to one of the paved paths that lead to the top of the hill. There is also a good deal of land between the Rockett's View Apts and Pear St, where some sort of new building could be constructed. Perhaps something that would blend in well with the Tobacco Row landscape? It could help add to the "gateway" aspect.

Bird's Eye View

What do you think?

Looking at the aerial fotos, it doesn't appear that Pear street is very steep, but when you're at ground level, as Cadeho attests, it most assuredly is. Wonder what the actual elevation is at Main Street from river level at Dock street?

I think a funicular similar to a pair that operate in Pittsburgh might be an answer, but I don't see a need to continue it up Libby Hill from Main.

And slightly OT, I'm beginning to change my tune because the more I look at these aerials the more appealing the idea of development in and around the gas works becomes.

Having to walk down 5th street to the Riverfront didn't deter over 80,000 from attending the National Folk Festival. I think that the river and canal are being advertised for active uses. Even though Pear is steep, look at it as a good workout. If someone can't make the hike, that's what cars are for. :)

Archived