Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

Having to walk down 5th street to the Riverfront didn't deter over 80,000 from attending the National Folk Festival. I think that the river and canal are being advertised for active uses. Even though Pear is steep, look at it as a good workout. If someone can't make the hike, that's what cars are for. :)
...and funiculars. :lol:

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahaha I wouldn't mind that, but I don;t know if there would be enough pedestrian traffic to warrant one :)

Poes Pub and a welcoming arch across Main Street at the top, Lucky Strike Power Plant in the middle and GSL with maybe a section of Rocketts Landing at the bottom. Then we'll have the "critical mass" that Cadeho so loves to hear about. :P

Besides! The ride itself will be an attraction. At the lock (or just above it if N/S balks at repairing their bridge) boats will ferry passengers along our row of ship shops enroute to Vistas. (Or course, without the bridge repairs, there'll be no ship shops).

Plans are to develop extension from 17th to Great Shiplock Park

Project officials hope site work can begin in the final quarter of 2006, allowing for completion in spring 2007, perhaps in time for events marking the 400th anniversary of Capt. Christopher Newport's journey up the James River and landing in Richmond in 1607..........

The extension, which will carry the walk past the Virginia Holocaust Museum and Tobacco Row, is expected to cost more than $2 million........

Richmond Chief Administrative Officer William Harrell hopes the extension will spur development along the eastern riverfront as the existing walk has with the Riverside on the James, Vistas on the James and Lady Byrd Hat projects.

"The state has funded it, and we're committed to it. That project is going to move forward," Harrell said.

The Canal Walk extension will be part of the Virginia Capital Trail, a bike/pedestrian trail linking the state capitol with the colonial state capitol in Williamsburg.

So it looks like we'll have our canal walk expansion by early 2007. I was hoping that we'd have heard work was starting sooner, but this is still great news :thumbsup:

:w00t:

WOW if Richmond gets all that, it will have a nice sky line.

Thanks for contributing, Riverwood, and welcome to Richmond.

Actually, the city already has a skyline almost identical. The tall modern-ish glass tower is not there yet and Vistas on the James depicted east of Riverside on the James' two red brick buildings, has just begun construction. But all the rest of it is there.

Go to Richmond in Pictures I and II and you'll see some excellent skyline shots by our wonderful photographer, Wrldcoupe4.

Please drop in again. And repeat, Thanks. :)

it also doesnt include the skyline w/ centennial towers in it!

Why don't you post one of your skyline shots for contrast, coupe?

By the way, when you were in the Slip last week, did you notice whether or not anything is being done to the old N/S freight station next door to Morton's?

I know you guys have seen the canal and everything... but you'll see it again! Every inch of it!

I went on a search for the water in the dry canal bed thanks to wrldcoupe4's pics.

This is another set sadly RCW probably won't see... unless I lift a few or share a couple of those rejected from showing here. From January 31, 2006.

So let's start at Great Ship Lock Park.

DSCF4476.jpg

Where's the usual boat? It shrank!

DSCF4477.jpg

Isn't the James lovely?

DSCF4478.jpg

DSCF4479.jpg

DSCF4480.jpg

DSCF4482.jpg

DSCF4483.jpg

Low water... still would hate to fall in!

DSCF4481.jpg

Edge of Chapel Island

DSCF4484.jpg

What is this house?

DSCF4486.jpg

West on the lock

DSCF4487.jpg

East on the lock

DSCF4488.jpg

DSCF4489.jpg

DSCF4491.jpg

DSCF4493.jpg

DSCF4492.jpg

Looking toward the river.

DSCF4495.jpg

Waterfowl!

DSCF4496.jpg

I love the Canadian geese.

DSCF4497.jpg

DSCF4498.jpg

Beachside?

DSCF4499.jpg

I love this poor tree.

DSCF4504.jpg

Lucky Strike

DSCF4510.jpg

DSCF4511.jpg

Looking toward Rocketts.

DSCF4514.jpg

Edge of Chapel Island.

DSCF4512.jpg

DSCF4521.jpg

DSCF4539.jpg

DSCF4541.jpg

DSCF4543.jpg

DSCF4545.jpg

DSCF4553.jpg

DSCF4554.jpg

DSCF4551.jpg

DSCF4550.jpg

DSCF4546.jpg

DSCF4548.jpg

DSCF4555.jpg

DSCF4560.jpg

DSCF4567.jpg

West on Dock St

DSCF4568.jpg

East on Dock St.

DSCF4570.jpg

Ducks!

DSCF4572.jpg

Dock 1 westward

DSCF4573.jpg

Dock 2 eastward

DSCF4580.jpg

From Gaston?

DSCF4581.jpg

Dock 2 westward

DSCF4586.jpg

Dock 2 eastward

DSCF4603.jpg

DSCF4606.jpg

DSCF4627.jpg

DSCF4629.jpg

DSCF4630.jpg

What are they doing?

DSCF4638.jpg

That pipe... is this...

DSCF4639.jpg

But the water is still flowing further up.

DSCF4641.jpg

DSCF4645.jpg

DSCF4649.jpg

DSCF4670.jpg

DSCF4672.jpg

DSCF4674.jpg

DSCF4675.jpg

The water's coming from the rest of the canal!

DSCF4690.jpg

Ok, so I've decided to save some pics in case I wanted to share them over at RCW. I took about 300 pics that day JUST at the canal between Great Ship Lock Park and 14th St. Then I had to walk back after the sun had set! Shockoe Bottom is filled with crime... please. Well so it's not every inch, but close. And I could have sworn there were three docks... maybe I merged two. Anyway...

I was having a wonderful time, Cadeho, savoring your Canal/Chapel Island photos until the bane of my existence (u know what!) popped up after a shot of the N/S tracks approaching the Bascule bridge. Then those demons continued on for the remaining 31 shots! :angry: Why do they bedevil me so???

When I have more time (and with my dial-up, it takes forever just to access the thread), I'll start clicking left and then hitting "show picture" for the 31 I've missed.

I've always been awed by Richmond's rich cultural & historical treasures. I really hope they do what ever they can as soon as they can to clean and restore the old canal. To me it represents and intricate part of downtown Richmond's Renaissance. :thumbsup:

I enjoy them too! Good thing about this section of the canal is that it will be completely restored by early 2007!

Archived