New Worlds Tallest in Chicago

arkansas_buff

Will Chicago build the World's tallest buildig?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Will Chicago build the World's tallest buildig?

• No
    • Yes

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deleted - Folks if you want your posts to survive here you will read the rules. How many times do we have to say this!

A proposed hotel and condominium building on the lakefront would tower over other Chicago landmarks.

Fordham Spire / Proposed - 2,000 ft. / 115 floors

Sears Tower - 1,450 ft. / 110 floors

Trump Tower / Under construction - 1,136 ft. / 83 floors

Aon Center - 1,360 ft. / 92 floors

John Hancock Center - 1,127 ft. / 100 floors

Freedom Tower / Planned - 1,776 ft. / 82 floors

Note: Antennae are not included in a building's height. A spire may be considered an architectural component of the building and be included in the height. Renderings are not in proportionate scale. Ceiling heights may differ, accounting for numbers of floors.

Sources: The Fordham Co., Emporis

Chicago Tribune

Copyright

Is this the same project that SOM submitted designs for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I'm fairly sure SOM wasn't involved in this project. The developer (Fordham) spent about 3 years specifically courting Calatrava and gave him the commission to design this building.

Chicago is the city for innovative skyscrapers. I personally like the design and most of Calatravas work. I think this would be a great addition to the Chicago skyline. I dont agree with Trump that it will be a terrorist target though. Its a slender sleek tower that doesnt represent the strength and power that Sears or Hancock represent. I hope it gets built.

The 7 South Dearborn proposal languished because of slow pre-leasing commitments, then 9/11 came and killed it effectively. It seemed for a while that developers' ambitions of reclaiming Chicago's world's tallest title fell off after that.

I am doubtful. Office vacancy rates are double-digit in the Loop; the location closer to the lake and Navy Pier in this photo suggests that this will be largely residential, but I still think it's pie in the sky. This would certainly require another amendment to PD-368 and it seems that the Gold Coasters are increasingly voracious NIMBYs. I will be very surprised to see Sears ever superseded, certainly here.

I like the slender design, but not the spiral thing... Looks too much like that ridiculous Tower of Babel thing in the bible. Sorry Chicago. Love your city, and want it to remain second to New York in skyline, but that building doesn't do it for me. Id rather see a triangular or a pentagonal structure. Even though Chicago's skyline is large, I've never been that impressed by it. I like most other cities' better.

And I know this doesn't have anything to do with Chicago, but wow is it disappointing to anyone else that the new NY tower is ALREADY going to be overtaken by a building in UAE? Wow, that tiny country sure does shoot for the top.

This may be blasphemy here, but I really don't care that much about skyscrapers. My favorite city in this country in terms of architecture is Washington. In terms of architectural significance, it blows most other cities out of the water.

And I know this doesn't have anything to do with Chicago, but wow is it disappointing to anyone else that the new NY tower is ALREADY going to be overtaken by a building in UAE? Wow, that tiny country sure does shoot for the top.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not a lot to add here, but it always seemed to me that the UAE built just so it could topple records and not much else. That said, I think the Burj al-Arab is beautiful.

The NYC has a reason it's making the building that tall: to have the same # of feet as there are years in the date our country declared independence.

Archived