New Worlds Tallest in Chicago

arkansas_buff

Will Chicago build the World's tallest buildig?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Will Chicago build the World's tallest buildig?

• No
    • Yes

I acually think it fits in the skyline, unlike a lot of other new proposed super structure that are planed across the country (and world), and it seems like were starting to lose that post-911 high rise building fear and taking new structures to new heights.....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I acually think it fits in the skyline, unlike a lot of other new proposed super structure that are planed across the country (and world), and it seems like were starting to lose that post-911 high rise building fear and taking new structures to new heights.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't agree with you more on both accounts. Though it seems we have conquered the fear of heights induced by 9/11, it seems it has made us wiser about how to make buildings safer and more efficient.

Well, I'm glad people are trying to get away from the giant boxes that used to make up skyscrapers. As for the D.C. architecture I sort of agree. The city has a very European feel to it when you go there and there are some beautiful buildings there. However, I do sometimes fall into the traditional American attitude of "bigger is better." Why should we try and emulate Europe? Anyway that type of architecture wouldn't fly in a city like Chicago because the real estate is too valuable...things have to be big.

Well, my opinions of skyscrapers are just that, MY opinions. I don't say everyone else has to agree or disagree ^_^

I just like spires, domes and brick and mortar.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest the USA copy Europe. Most of our cities don't, as all others except a few small ones have skycrapers. Washington doesn't really copy Europe entirely. Much of it's influence is Roman and Middle Eastern inspired. The Wash. Mon. is an Egyptian obelisk, and the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception appears straight out of Saudi Arabia.

I just personally prefer the uniquness of it. I think we should have examples of all. The skyscraper is an American innovation so it's natural that our cities are full of them. ;)

And I know this doesn't have anything to do with Chicago, but wow is it disappointing to anyone else that the new NY tower is ALREADY going to be overtaken by a building in UAE? Wow, that tiny country sure does shoot for the top.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Burj Dubai will beat this tower by several hundred feet, even if it's built to the proposed height. It isn't exactly disappointing to me that the 'tiny UAE' is whooping the collective world's @$$ because they have the money, the people, the tourists, and the desire to build such fantastical buildings. Las Vegas is known for disproportional and amazingly huge architecture in terms of its projects, but it's probably only 5% worth of what Dubai is doing. The Tower, Burj Dubai, Emirates Towers, The World, etc. Ya'll should check on the Dubai page because it's pretty impressive...

As for this interesting bit of architecture... It's a little ugly and in an awkward location within the skyline. If it was out by Sears Tower (not talking next to it, but near it) or if it was within a short shot of Aon/John Hancock, then I think it would be marginally better. In a way I think we should ship this design over to the UAE because they love this ultra-modernistic stuff.

I think part of the problem is that the renderings do not have the Trump Tower in them so the skyline looks wierd and the building seems out of place. Maybe with the Trump building in the skyline it would not look as out of place. Or maybe it still would look like a giant among boys.

I think part of the problem is that the renderings do not have the Trump Tower in them so the skyline looks wierd and the building seems out of place. Maybe with the Trump building in the skyline it would not look as out of place. Or maybe it still would look like a giant among boys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I still don't like this people on the whole, I think I'm starting to warm up to it... There's a much more detailed picture and skyline rendering on www.emporis.com.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chicago or any place in the US will never be home to the world's tallest building because the anything over 2000 feet is considered Federal airspace. To contruct anything higher than 2000 feet would require legislation from the US Congress. I don't see any developer going though the hassel of going before congress to change the laws any time soon. Second of all, a very large building currently under construction in Arabian country of Dubai will top out at about 2,600 ft. thus becoming the world's tallest, when complete. With a 2,000 ft barrier in the US no new buildings in this country will be able to surpass that height. Thirdly, there will always the "What about 9/11?" question which at least at the moment is a difficult question for any highrise developer to answer. Though the 9/11 issue will subside as tyime goes on.

So my vote is no, unless the Federal Government changes the law to rise the height of the threshold of Federal airspace to 2700 ft or higher.

But I don't think this would be the end of the skyscrapper in the US. Without worrying about trying to build the tallest building in the world, American developers and architects will be free to focus on quality instead of quantity making for better looking, more functional, safer, and more efficent skyscrappers.

Actually all you have to do to get the 2000ft limit waived is get the FCc and FAA to agree that the project is in the publics best interest enough so to waive the rule. In an area like downtown Chicago, wher there are multiple buildings over 1,000 ft anyways, I would doubt they would put up too much of a fight. I think the "what about 9/11" thing has already passed, there are now more 1,000 ft buildings going up in the US than in a long time, I think 2 in New York, plus freedom tower and 2 in Chicago, plus the Fordham spire thats probably going to begin construction this year.

Actually all you have to do to get the 2000ft limit waived is get the FCc and FAA to agree that the project is in the publics best interest enough so to waive the rule. In an area like downtown Chicago, wher there are multiple buildings over 1,000 ft anyways, I would doubt they would put up too much of a fight. I think the "what about 9/11" thing has already passed, there are now more 1,000 ft buildings going up in the US than in a long time, I think 2 in New York, plus freedom tower and 2 in Chicago, plus the Fordham spire thats probably going to begin construction this year.

I agree that the 9/11 thing is dying down. I think once Freedom Tower and a couple of the other 1,000 footers you mentioned are built, the fears of 9/11 will be put to bed once and for all.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived