New Worlds Tallest in Chicago

arkansas_buff

Will Chicago build the World's tallest buildig?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Will Chicago build the World's tallest buildig?

• No
    • Yes

I'd love to see them do it. It'd be great if Chicago and NYC were duking it out for the title.

I don't think it'll happen though. With taxes as they are in the city, I'm not sure they'd attract enough business for an office building, and with terror fears a lot of people would probably be reticent to live in it, too. A combo of the two might just work though.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see them do it. It'd be great if Chicago and NYC were duking it out for the title.

I don't think it'll happen though. With taxes as they are in the city, I'm not sure they'd attract enough business for an office building, and with terror fears a lot of people would probably be reticent to live in it, too. A combo of the two might just work though.

Alot of people are gun shy because of 9/11 right now. But 15 to 20 years from now fears over terrorism will have long since faded into the history books. I think terrorist fears are fading away already atleast in my home town of Grand Rapids, MI. Several tall buildings are under construction, one of which will beat out the the city's current tallest by more than 30 feet. More importantly, in the long term future, building tall will be a must no matter how people feel about them as real estate gets more expensive. Tall buildings maximizes land use far better than short buildings.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think I liked the original rendering of this building better, as the revised rendering leaves a little to be desired.

Even if Chicago built the world's tallest, its not long before the UAE or China comes along and squashes it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a night time rendering of what the skyline would look like with the Spire in place.

Chicago_Spire.jpg

i can't picture this kind of architecture in chicago quite yet. i visit chicago often and it doesnt need that kind of building in it's skyline.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't stand that skyscraper going up (Spire)...it doesn't fit with the city at all. Maybe it will grow on me, but the modern style clashes with Chicago's boxy style skyscrapers. I like the other new buildings going up much better than this one.

Archived