Uniroyal Site

rbdetsport

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bettis is a good guy and i hope this goes through. Mid and High rises would be cool for the spot considering its relationship to Belle Isle. It seems like this development and Belle Isle would be the perfect end for the eastern portion of the riverwalk.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now this was 10 years ago but have they cleaned the place up yet? That could be a great gateway into the developments being proposed- I stress proposed- along the river. Along with riverwalk and some residential- making sure the river is available to the public- it could be a grand place to call home and satisfy our urban cravings!

Peace to you and Peace to Detroit

My guess is that something will be in the works. Its not like the Book Caddy. Its an empty site. Plus I think Jerome will push hard to get things done, especially if he ends up winning the Super Bowl. He will have a lot of pull and momentum in this city.

• 11 months later...

Exactly. They (the city) are still going through legal wrangling to get those that polluted the site to clean it up. That means they have to first find everyone that ever used the site, and secondly get them to answer them, and lastly, try to get them to clean up the site. The laws aren't so clear so this process is time intensive. Asking a potential developer to clean up a site is an immediate turnoff, and for most developers, a no-go from the state. And, since the city doesn't have the money to clean it up, that means finding a creative way to get it cleaned up which can include a combination of government clean-up grants and getting those that polluted the site in the past to incur some of the clean-up cost.

Patience truly is a virtue.

The Free Press had an article on the Uniroyal site just last month.

Last month the logjam loosened when the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality sent letters to four companies, informing them that each will bear some share of the cleanup costs at the riverfront site.

That allowed the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. to proceed with the steps necessary to put the Bettis-Betters project into motion. One is approving the tax incentives that in turn would set the stage for issuing Detroit Brownfield Authority Board bonds. They would pay for the Bettis-Betters group's initial cleanup work, beginning a few months from now.

Archived