Introduce Yourself

Mith242

The Arkansas forum has been going for a while and we've had a topic where you could mention from what area of Arkansas you're from. But I thought maybe it would be even better to have a place where people could introduce themselves. Like they do out in the coffeehouse forum. I've seen some of the people around here but I hardly know anything about most of the people I see here except for a couple. Where do you live in Arkansas? How long have you lived there and in Arkansas? I've seen some people from the Memphis area on here. Since some of you guys seem to come here a lot please feel free to introduce yourselves too.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay why don't I start off with myself. I live in Fayetteville, I've been here now for about 11-12 years now. I've spent almost all my life in Arkansas. Although most of my childhood was spent around Pine Bluff. So I guess I tend to know more about what's going on in these two corners of the state compared to the rest. But I wouldn't mind learning more on other areas of the state.

I live in Paragould up in the NE corner... just 20 miles north of Jonesboro. I'm a huge "Arkansas Progress" junkie. I've done a lot of work in Little Rock, and I'm really fond of that city. I'm also excited to see all the great things happening in Northwest AR and Northeast AR (particularly J-town). It's nice to know that AR is not going to be a 1 metropolitan state forever.

I live in Paragould up in the NE corner... just 20 miles north of Jonesboro.  I'm a huge "Arkansas Progress" junkie.  I've done a lot of work in Little Rock, and I'm really fond of that city.  I'm also excited to see all the great things happening in Northwest AR and Northeast AR (particularly J-town).  It's nice to know that AR is not going to be a 1 metropolitan state forever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen you around a little and hadn't gotten around to welcoming you to the forum. It's always nice to see someone new here. If you haven't read all the topics, I'll let you know one of our more 'talkative' forumers is out of state right now but should be back in a week or so. Hope you can keep us up to date on what's going on over in your corner of the state. :D

I'm from the great city of Hot Springs, AR.

I'm a progress junkie as well.

I've lived here since 1994, or about 11/17 of my life.

I would like to work somewhere in the community someday to help push the state forward....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Johnny, nice to see you around. I've had a hard time getting people interested. Wish I had thought of this earlier. By the way are you still up in Philly?

Good to see ya back around. I need somebody to talk about NE Arkansas with and fill me on with whats going on in Jonesboro, Paragould, Blythville, Osceola, and Marion. Being from West TN I have quite a bit of interest in the region. I'm big on industrial development and alot of that seems to be going on or in the works in NEARK. I also am hearing and reading alot of good stuff about Jonesboro, which has peaked my interest on the city.

Hey is that RC (Royal Crown) bottling franchise still operating in Paragould? I remember hearing they not to long ago had a significant regional bottler there.

Edit:

Oh as for me, I'm from the Union City, TN area.  Goodyear, Tyson Foods, Lennox, Kohler, and a host of other significant industries still call it home, and hopefully with I-69 coming through soon many more plants will call the region home soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rural King it's nice having you around on the forum. It's noticed a few west Tennessee people who visit here often. I'm glad people from your area take an interest in things going ob over here in Arkansas.

I like this forum, I get to learn alot about Arkansas that I wouldn't otherwise. There is a heck of alot of things going on over across the Mississippi, and its definately getting my attention. I have to make it over to Jonesboro sometime soon for pics and to check it out, and sooner rather than later to Little Rock. I got to see the Presidential Museum, not to mention take a ton of photos of downtown :) .

Good to see ya back around. I need somebody to talk about NE Arkansas with and fill me on with whats going on in Jonesboro, Paragould, Blythville, Osceola, and Marion. Being from West TN I have quite a bit of interest in the region. I'm big on industrial development and alot of that seems to be going on or in the works in NEARK. I also am hearing and reading alot of good stuff about Jonesboro, which has peaked my interest on the city.

Hey is that RC (Royal Crown) bottling franchise still operating in Paragould? I remember hearing they not to long ago had a significant regional bottler there.

Edit:

Oh as for me, I'm from the Union City, TN area.  Goodyear, Tyson Foods, Lennox, Kohler, and a host of other significant industries still call it home, and hopefully with I-69 coming through soon many more plants will call the region home soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go through your area all the time... on my way to Nashville and east TN where my in-laws live. They live in Kingsport and work at the Eastman Plant Metroplex!

The mall in Jonesboro is coming right along. Parts of it will be opening up this year with the rest opening next year. You can see progress photos of that here.

Yes... the RC place is still here in Paragould. It was originally a Dr. Pepper distributor, but was just bought out by Pepsi this past year. They now bottle RC, 7UP, A&W, and a few others.

Emerson Electric employs over 1.5K and Monroe/Tenneco employs around 1K. Lot of factories here, but J-town is where most of the exciting action is. Rapid growth, clean, nice neighborhoods, great golf courses, lots of shopping, great places to eat, etc.

Glad you're interested. What's developing in your neck of the woods?

Sounds like Paragould has quite a large industrial base for its size, esp. out of just two plants. I guess there are drawbacks though too, like Union City and Goodyear, alot of important eggs in just a few baskets.

The mall sounds like it will be a great boon the the area. On that note that site is no longer up as its domain expired late last month.

West Tennessee is doing okay, but the future is what looks so bright with I-69 and the groundwork being developed. Overall the region is hit and miss. Some areas are losing alot of jobs, some are stagnant, some are seeing slow steady growth, and Jackson is seeing spectacular growh.

My is doing okay at the moment. More groundwork is be laid at the moment than anything else. Union City has just created a new 550 acre industrial park out by the Goodyear site and , our regions largest employer (2500? not sure anymore with layoffs, call backs). That site will be right next to the future path of I-69, which should see some construction start in 06. I-69 will be the key to the future, since it will be the lure for most future expansion to our area.

Tyson is set to expand I hear in the coming years, which will push its employment to about 2000 if the rumors are true. Tyson's pay-rate has risen alot, and with its employee benefits (most payed for my Tyson) it has become a pretty decent place to work in the region.

As far as new stuff we just got some small scale plant that produces swimming pools, I don't think it employs many folks.

Dyersburg is running about the same as Union City, just chugging along about the same at the moment, but doing the same preperation to capitalize on I-69. It like Union City has a decent industrial base that has held steady.

Jackson is seeing alot of industrial growth, the main thing is the 250 high wage jobs to be gained at the Toyota engine plant. A whole slew of plants are hiring, expanding, recalling workers, etc. Jackson is by and far the economic growth engine of the region. Just to much to name down there.

Haywood Co/Fayette Co. (the area just to the southwest of Brownsville) there is a 3500 acre industrial site that is about to be designated a Mega-Site like Marion to lure a auto-plant. This is my biggest hope, since any plant we might lure in the future (probably after Marion) would greatly help all of West Tennessee with the associated support plants for such a large industrial plant, some of which would surely cross over into NEARK.

On that note: I have high hopes for the Marion, Ark. supersite too, since support facilites would probably cross over into West Tennessee to areas like Memphis and Brownsville do to I-40, and Dyersburg (due to the I-155 spur).

Well that was alot of writing. LOL Anyway thats a brief overview.

What all new is going on in NEARK. What kind of rumors are you hearing over there?

Edit: Typo

Edited by Rural King

Nice this has been put on the top for everyone new to easily find. Now if we can just get some of our previous posters to introduce themselves along with the others.

Thanks to the lakelander or any other moderator who moved this.

Edited by Mith242

Well i dont live in Arkansas, i actually live in Covington,LA (pop. around 10,000) in the New Orleans metro area, but i own 84 acres of land in foreman,AR and have family there. I am up in Arkansas every chance i get, i love it up there. I think many cities in arkansas and the state itself is overlooked to often, it really is beautiful up there. I really think Little Rock is an under-rated city, the first time i was there i was suprised to see such a nice skyline on a city with 180,000+ people and that the area was so nice, it puts parts of Baton Rouge to shame. I'll probably be posting alot on this forum(that is if you guys dont mind..) because I would like to know what is hapening in the different areas of AR, and there isnt (and i dont expect their ever will be) a Louisiana forum..it seems im the only one on this whole site from Louisiana. LOL

Well best of luck to a great forum..

Nice this has been put on the top for everyone new to easily find.  Now if we can just get some of our previous posters to introduce themselves along with the others.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good idea, Mith.

Obviously, I'm a Little Rock resident, but I am well travelled around the state and have had family scattered across it as well. Notable towns I'm familiar with, besides my home, are Fayetteville, Hot Springs, and Pine Bluff, which all happen to be at different ends of the spectrum as far as Arkansas cities go. However, due to today's media, I enjoy discussing anything pertaining to Arkansas.

Much to Mith's dismay, I am a pretty sporadic poster. I'd like to post more, but I can only do as my time dictates. It's pretty hard to keep up with him, since he spits out posts like a machine gun. :lol: It's nice to see that the forum's population is growing; slowly, but surely.

Well i dont live in Arkansas, i actually live in Covington,LA (pop. around 10,000) in the New Orleans metro area, but i own 84 acres of land in foreman,AR and have family there. I am up in Arkansas every chance i get, i love it up there. I think many cities in arkansas and the state itself is overlooked to often, it really is beautiful up there. I really think Little Rock is an under-rated city, the first time i was there i was suprised to see such a nice skyline on a city with 180,000+ people and that the area was so nice, it puts parts of Baton Rouge to shame. I'll probably be posting alot on this forum(that is if you guys dont mind..) because I would like to know what is hapening in the different areas of AR, and there isnt (and i dont expect their ever will be) a Louisiana forum..it seems im the only one on this whole site from Louisiana. LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NCB it's nice to have you on the forum. You've already given us some info on the I-49 project. And no we certainly don't mind you posting here. I've noticed there isn't a Louisiana forum, although I'm a bit surprised they couldn't get a New Orleans forum going. But anyway there are some thing like I-49 that pertain to both states. Maybe you can also give us some a different perspective on some things.

Good idea, Mith.

Obviously, I'm a Little Rock resident, but I am well travelled around the state and have had family scattered across it as well. Notable towns I'm familiar with, besides my home, are Fayetteville, Hot Springs, and Pine Bluff, which all happen to be at different ends of the spectrum as far as Arkansas cities go. However, due to today's media, I enjoy discussing anything pertaining to Arkansas.

Much to Mith's dismay, I am a pretty sporadic poster. I'd like to post more, but I can only do as my time dictates. It's pretty hard to keep up with him, since he spits out posts like a machine gun. :lol: It's nice to see that the forum's population is growing; slowly, but surely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I was actually meaning some of the people that had shown up here a while back hung around for a little then seemed to leave. I realize other people have lives compared to me :D When it cools down outside I'll probably not be on here quite as much. But anyway it's nice to see your posts when you have time.

I don't think this is necessary for most of our posters but for the people looking around and who may not be very familiar with Arkansas I thought I'd provide a map. (Thought I'd add a couple more to help out people. One of the counties and one other for topography.)

AR_big.gif

arkansas-county-map.jpg

arcounty.gif

Edited by Mith242

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey I'm a West Tennessean and the nice folks here on the Arkansas forum have been quite receptive to me posting in and discussing Arkansas topics. This is IMO a great forum. Folks here are knowledgable and really into their their state forum. It goes in spurts, but there are plenty of forumers in here. It gives a great place to learn about whats going on in my neighboring state and someplace else besides the Tennessee forum to check out.

I look forward to seeing you post in the forum NCB.

Thanks for the hospitality guys...i'll just be your eyes and ears in Louisiana. Thanks for the map Mith im not to familier with north-east Arkansas.

I do have some more news about I-49 in Shreveport, construction is supposed to start very quickly and they are bringing in construction workers from the Baton Rouge and Lafayette areas, so I-49 from Shreveport to Arkansas should be completed soon.

Thanks for the hospitality guys...i'll just be your eyes and ears in Louisiana. Thanks for the map Mith im not to familier with north-east Arkansas.

I do have some more news about I-49 in Shreveport, construction is supposed to start very quickly and they are bringing in construction workers from the Baton Rouge and Lafayette areas, so I-49 from Shreveport to Arkansas should be completed soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey NCB... I'm a NEA guy, so anything you want to know, just ask. By the way, I have some relatives in LA. Some are in Bosier City and another uncle lives in St. Charles.

Obviously, Jonesboro is the focal point of the NE corner. Paragould (my hometown) comes in second with around 25K residents. Blytheville used to be bigger than Paragould, but their population is actually declining. That city has been in shambles since the Air Force base closed down several years back. Memphis is the closest metro to us, so we visit there more than LR, but I have a bit of a bias toward Little Rock. It's cleaner, friendlier, and driving is much easier on the heart in LR. 240 in Memphis is like a Nascar Track!!!