Introduce Yourself

Mith242

Hey NCB... I'm a NEA guy, so anything you want to know, just ask.  By the way, I have some relatives in LA.  Some are in Bosier City and another uncle lives in St. Charles.

Obviously, Jonesboro is the focal point of the NE corner.  Paragould (my hometown) comes in second with around 25K residents.  Blytheville used to be bigger than Paragould, but their population is actually declining.  That city has been in shambles since the Air Force base closed down several years back.  Memphis is the closest metro to us, so we visit there more than LR, but I have a bit of a bias toward Little Rock.  It's cleaner, friendlier, and driving is much easier on the heart in LR.  240 in Memphis is like a Nascar Track!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks alot arkansas bluff...i dont know much about north arkansas so i will definately be asking some things about that area....

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this is necessary for most of our posters but for the people looking around and who may not be very familiar with Arkansas I thought I'd provide a map. (Thought I'd add a couple more to help out people.  One of the counties and one other for topography.)

AR_big.gif

arkansas-county-map.jpg

arcounty.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've added some newer maps for those not so familiar with Arkansas. On the topographical map you can see the Ozarks in northern Arkansas and the Ouchitas in western Arkansas. If you look closely you can see Crowley's Ridge over in northeast Arkansas. These are topographical features that those of you not familiar with Arkansas might see mentioned in posts and topics here in the Arkansas forum.

I noticed.........it's odd that everyone's joining in now.   

Believe me, I'm not complaining  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah me either, but it was weird for a while when you were gone it just seemed like no one was posting. Now we've also got people from neighboring states joining in.

Good news, things seem to have really picked up all of a sudden.  We've also past the 1000 responses mark too.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, only a day between hitting 1000 responses and then hit 1100 responses.

Edited by Mith242

I grew up in Little Rock, my family's originally from Bentonville and I spent a good amount of time in Fayetteville, went to college in Conway, and spent the last 7 years in school and working in Little Rock. Grew up spending summers in Hot Springs, so I know most of the state pretty well. Just moved to Dallas six weeks ago and I'm a little homesick. My family's always been in real estate so development/real estate is a hobby. By profession, I'm a physician.

Oh okay. Do you plan on moving back to Arkansas to practice eventually? I would assume Arkansas, like most states, has a strong need for local and regional physicians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps, but the vast majority of people in my specialty would live in LR or NWA/Ft Smith somewhere. Options are very limited so I may stay in DFW or look elsewhere to find the right practice. I'll certainly be looking in AR.

Perhaps, but the vast majority of people in my specialty would live in LR or NWA/Ft Smith somewhere.  Options are very limited so I may stay in DFW or look elsewhere to find the right practice.  I'll certainly be looking in AR.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for the slow response, I've been having computer problems. But anyway welcome to the board. It does seem you are rather familiar with Arkansas. Sorry to hear you've been a bit homesick down there. But I imagine you'll eventually get more used to the area down there. But if you ever do want to come back hopefully there will be enough growth in Little Rock or northwest Arkansas that you'll eventually have better job oppotunities here.

As I have mentioned before I am having computer problems again. Unfortunately it doesn't like I'm going to have it fixed anytime soon so I'll have to rely on going to our award winning library here in Fayetteville. Untill I can finally get the problem permantly fixed. So that will mean I won't be around quite as much. With it being summer and everyone is out of school, the computer labs can be pretty popular. Especially by the time I get off work most days. Hopefully everyone here will have plenty of topics to discuss and for me to read between visits.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, all.

I moved my family from the Atlanta area to Bentonville in the summer of 2002 after accepting a job here. On President's Day of this year we moved our business (retail, on-line and 800 number gift sales) from Georgia to Centerton, just west of B'ville.

It's amazing what's going on out here...

Hello, all.

I moved my family from the Atlanta area to Bentonville in the summer of 2002 after accepting a job here.  On President's Day of this year we moved our business (retail, on-line and 800 number gift sales) from Georgia to Centerton, just west of B'ville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome.

It's nice to know that not all new Northwest Arkansas residents come from California or the North. :grin: I think you're the first member from Bentonville. It'll be nice to hear from someone from that city, as I'm not as familiar with the area north of Fayetteville.

Hello, all.

I moved my family from the Atlanta area to Bentonville in the summer of 2002 after accepting a job here.  On President's Day of this year we moved our business (retail, on-line and 800 number gift sales) from Georgia to Centerton, just west of B'ville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to AR (although a little belated)! I'm from the upper right hand corner. I'm sure you will be able to add tons of NWA insight. I need to get up there to see a football game this season. Again... welcome! :thumbsup:

Welcome KWJ, nice to have someone from Benton County here. Hopefully you won't mind giving us your perspective. Although I'm not too far from you it can be hard enough just keeping up with what's going on here in Washington County. I admit I haven't kept up with Benton County as well as I would have liked. There's a restaurant topic around here. I'd like to hear if you have any favorites there in Benton County.

Thanks, all.

Arkansawyer, interestingly, in the place where I used to work here (and still do on a contract basis) there were no less than four other Georgia transplants...three from the Atlanta metro area (one of them was originally from South Africa!) and another one from Brunswick on the coast). Another fellow moved from North Carolina. I've a neighbor a few blocks down who moved from Cartersville, GA NW of Marietta and Atlanta, and another neighbor from Bogart, GA near Athens...the latter family has a replica of UGA, the University of Georgia bulldog, on their lawn garden.

They're starting to migrate from other parts of the southeast here...

Thanks, all.

Arkansawyer, interestingly, in the place where I used to work here (and still do on a contract basis) there were no less than four other Georgia transplants...three from the Atlanta metro area (one of them was originally from South Africa!) and another one from Brunswick on the coast).  Another fellow moved from North Carolina.  I've a neighbor a few blocks down who moved from Cartersville, GA NW of Marietta and Atlanta, and another neighbor from Bogart, GA near Athens...the latter family has a replica of UGA, the University of Georgia bulldog, on their lawn garden.

They're starting to migrate from other parts of the southeast here...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is interesting to see. That's one aspect I guess I don't see quite as much here in Fayetteville. Although now that the students are coming back it's harder to judge because we have so many students that come from all over. But it is interesting to see that there are people other than people from Califonia and the Midwest coming into the area. So maybe northwest Arkansas won't totally lose all of what 'southern' culture we have here.

• 4 weeks later...

Ever since Katrina things have died down on this forum. I guess it's also just been sorta quiet with not a whole lot of other stuff going on right now. But it looks like some of our regulars are showing up. Just don't have anything to say on our board. Hopefully we'll have some more news come up ot one of us will think of something to discuss.

Hey, my name is Matt. I just found this website on the internet about a few weeks ago and decided to sign up since it discusses many things that I myself have been keeping track of for years. Me I live in Rogers, and I always love to hear about what is going on in other parts of Arkansas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome Mcheiss, nice to have someone else around. Unfortunately it's been a little slow around here since Katrina. But these things seem to go in cycles and hopefully things will pick up again soon. Hopefully you can also help keep us informed on what's going on up in Benton County. Please feel free to discuss or ask anything here on the forum. :D