Introduce Yourself

Mith242

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...I saw someone a moment ago trying to post on here that appeard to be new named nandle. But I don't see a post. Maybe there was a problem, but hopefully nandle will come back and see more of our forum here.

I saw them in this forum, but didn't think much about it.

Anyone is welcome in our forum.

I saw them in this forum, but didn't think much about it.

Anyone is welcome in our forum.

I did notice that they were attempting to post. I've wondered at times how many people check out our forum but never post. We might have more people around than we think. I've noticed a number of guests logged in at times too. I'm hoping some of these are people doing searches and stumble across our forum.

Well I suppose I should step up to the plate- I found this website and forum a few months ago whil casually looking for what projects were being developed here in Little Rock. Yes I am from Little Rock and I am a development junkie. I love the enthusiasm on this forum- as Little Rock , and Arkansas are very underated. Sure we are the 49th in every list I see published by the doom and gloom Arkansas Demogogue Gazette- but good things are happening here.

I am not a native Arkansan- but before moving here about 5 years ago I had been viting for years ( my wifes a native). One major issue for me moving here was the lack of the urban core in Little Rock- and the seemingly mysterious- now resolved- lack of a Starbucks. ( i emailed them weekly once i moved here- they finally threw in the towel). The revitalization of the River Market district was only a smattering of the urban core i desired , but enough to help me and my wife make the decison to move here from a much larger- and much less desirable megaopolis. The progress here has been great- we are still a small - yet accessible - city. Going to the zoo is not a major all day affair, the arts are all within reach, and I no longer have to take a half day off of work to go to the DMV. These quality of life issues might seem small to some - but the cumulative effect is great.

Well just my 2 cents - plenty more where that came from- and i will try to participate some as i do check this forum almost daily. Thanks to all who make this a must on my daily internet sweep.

Well I suppose I should step up to the plate- I found this website and forum a few months ago whil casually looking for what projects were being developed here in Little Rock. Yes I am from Little Rock and I am a development junkie. I love the enthusiasm on this forum- as Little Rock , and Arkansas are very underated. Sure we are the 49th in every list I see published by the doom and gloom Arkansas Demogogue Gazette- but good things are happening here.

I am not a native Arkansan- but before moving here about 5 years ago I had been viting for years ( my wifes a native). One major issue for me moving here was the lack of the urban core in Little Rock- and the seemingly mysterious- now resolved- lack of a Starbucks. ( i emailed them weekly once i moved here- they finally threw in the towel). The revitalization of the River Market district was only a smattering of the urban core i desired , but enough to help me and my wife make the decison to move here from a much larger- and much less desirable megaopolis. The progress here has been great- we are still a small - yet accessible - city. Going to the zoo is not a major all day affair, the arts are all within reach, and I no longer have to take a half day off of work to go to the DMV. These quality of life issues might seem small to some - but the cumulative effect is great.

Well just my 2 cents - plenty more where that came from- and i will try to participate some as i do check this forum almost daily. Thanks to all who make this a must on my daily internet sweep.

Welcome to the forum Nandle!!!

You are more than welcome to post or discuss on any topic that you wish. It's nice to have another person outside of NW Arkansas on the forum. Welcome again.

Welcome nandle. I'm sure some of the other central Arkansas forumers will be happy to see another local. Matt and I have been adding more of a northwest Arkansas flavor to the forum lately. Your comments about Little Rock are interesting. While Little Rock seems to have greatly improved in some areas there is still more to be done. But it's nice to know that Little Rock and Arkansas are becoming a bit more noticed and people are willing to moce here. It will be interesting to have another perspective on Little Rock and possibly Arkansas. Although I'm not sure if you've been to many other areas in the state.

Very cool. I would like to make a move downtown eventually. Finally another Little Rocker.

Mith and mcheiss seem to add 20 posts per topic everyday and makes for a helluva lot of reading about NWA...it's about time we get some more balance.

Very cool. I would like to make a move downtown eventually. Finally another Little Rocker.

Mith and mcheiss seem to add 20 posts per topic everyday and makes for a helluva lot of reading about NWA...it's about time we get some more balance.

Hey I remember the good ol' days when I was the only poster from northwest Arkansas and I had to post to myself. :D

Matt and I just happen to be prolific posters.

Edited by Mith242

Welcome nandle. I'm sure some of the other central Arkansas forumers will be happy to see another local. Matt and I have been adding more of a northwest Arkansas flavor to the forum lately. Your comments about Little Rock are interesting. While Little Rock seems to have greatly improved in some areas there is still more to be done. But it's nice to know that Little Rock and Arkansas are becoming a bit more noticed and people are willing to moce here. It will be interesting to have another perspective on Little Rock and possibly Arkansas. Although I'm not sure if you've been to many other areas in the state.

Thanks for the welcome- i suppose time i stepped out of the shadows.....I have traveled throughout AR- although my only experience in NWA is in that funky town of Eureak Springs. I think most of the bad rap Arkansas gets is from the perceptions of the state portrayed by the media over time. Most people associate Arkansas with hillbillies, Walmart, and of course President Clinton. Little Rock, for the most part , has been associated with the Central High Crisis...but as the population demographiocs change not just here but nationwide , more peole are exposed to other aspects of our state., and most noticebly our cities.

Clearly we are a "tale of 2 cities" at this point in time, Little Rock and NWA ( i know more of a mini-opolis), the rest of the state is perceived as rural, backward, or just a place to fish, hunt or grow cotton. I read a book a few years ago on the ecological history of North America, a great read, but the author made only one mention of this region and it it basically only refered to the "unremarkable" Ouachita and Ozark Mountains. This always sticks in my mind- afterall we are the natual state,,,and those regions are unique- not only for their natural hiostory, but for the cultutral history.

In the urban arena there is work to be done - but this state, and specifically Little Rock, has come a long way. My wife and I vowed we could never live here when we were first married, but after having children and looking at the reality of our every day existence decided this was exactly where we wanted them raised, but honestly i dont think i could say that about any other place in Arkansas- at this point in time- to meet my personal needs. But then again what i have alluded to is the change that is taking place, not just within the place itself but within the perception of the place. This in essence is the maturity in the "state of mind" , if you will.

Arkansas cannot continue to be 49th on the list of per capita income, and 2nd in teenage pregnancies, and the 5th best place to relocate a business ( im taking liscence here but you get my drift)and still not see the dichotomy of where we came from and where we need to go.

Thanks for the welcome- i suppose time i stepped out of the shadows.....I have traveled throughout AR- although my only experience in NWA is in that funky town of Eureak Springs. I think most of the bad rap Arkansas gets is from the perceptions of the state portrayed by the media over time. Most people associate Arkansas with hillbillies, Walmart, and of course President Clinton. Little Rock, for the most part , has been associated with the Central High Crisis...but as the population demographiocs change not just here but nationwide , more peole are exposed to other aspects of our state., and most noticebly our cities.

Clearly we are a "tale of 2 cities" at this point in time, Little Rock and NWA ( i know more of a mini-opolis), the rest of the state is perceived as rural, backward, or just a place to fish, hunt or grow cotton. I read a book a few years ago on the ecological history of North America, a great read, but the author made only one mention of this region and it it basically only refered to the "unremarkable" Ouachita and Ozark Mountains. This always sticks in my mind- afterall we are the natual state,,,and those regions are unique- not only for their natural hiostory, but for the cultutral history.

In the urban arena there is work to be done - but this state, and specifically Little Rock, has come a long way. My wife and I vowed we could never live here when we were first married, but after having children and looking at the reality of our every day existence decided this was exactly where we wanted them raised, but honestly i dont think i could say that about any other place in Arkansas- at this point in time- to meet my personal needs. But then again what i have alluded to is the change that is taking place, not just within the place itself but within the perception of the place. This in essence is the maturity in the "state of mind" , if you will.

Arkansas cannot continue to be 49th on the list of per capita income, and 2nd in teenage pregnancies, and the 5th best place to relocate a business ( im taking liscence here but you get my drift)and still not see the dichotomy of where we came from and where we need to go.

Very interesting and I agree with you. I do think Arkansas is making strides and becoming a better place. Although as you said part of out problem is the perception people have of us. And yes Eureka Springs is a rather unique place in itself. I also think people identify Little Rock and Clinton together quite a bit. But anyway it is nice having you on the forum and look forward to reading your posts. Feel free to add to any of the discussions or start your own topic.

The Arkansas forum has now hit 2000 responses. Pretty good compared to some of the other states. Especially sine the Arknasas forum isn't too old either.

Wow, that post was only 9 days ago, and already the Arkansas forum is nearing 3000 posts!

Wow, that post was only 9 days ago, and already the Arkansas forum is nearing 3000 posts!

Yeah Matt and I have really been busy on here. :D Although others have certainly contributed on here also. It's nice having some activity on here.

Edited by Mith242

Hey Matt just noticed you passed 500 posts, congrats. :D

Thanks Mith and NCB and everyone else. I've got so much to talk about the area. I promise you new info will continue to keep coming.

I did take a lot of time off the forum. I had to work a really late shift at work, so I missed a lot and spent the remainder of today catching up.

Thanks Again!!

Edited by mcheiss