Little Rock's 300 3rd Tower

• 1 month later...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sharp building and website.  Really wish northwest Arkansas developers would do something more like this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your wish may be coming true Mith, as the Pinnacle Group in Rogers has expressed interest in building from 1 to 2 16 story multi-use buildings right off of the future Perry Road Interchange in Rogers.

Yea, its great to see Little Rock moving forward.

I love Arkansas, it, along with Texas is like a 2nd home to me, so I love seeing major AR cities moving ahead.

BTW, has there been an increase in Little Rock's population due to the victims of hurricane Katrina, has the population increased in other major AR cities?

I know that all of Arkansas took in an incredible amount of victims(thanks! :) ) but I dont know if AR cities turned into Baton Rouge, meaning there were a great amount of victims in shelters, but also a great amount of evacuees renting apartments, hotel rooms, and driving around the cities.

Yea, its great to see Little Rock moving forward.

I love Arkansas, it, along with Texas is like a 2nd home to me, so I love seeing major AR cities moving ahead.

BTW, has there been an increase in Little Rock's population due to the victims of hurricane Katrina, has the population increased in other major AR cities?

I know that all of Arkansas took in an incredible amount of victims(thanks! :) ) but I dont know if AR cities turned into Baton Rouge, meaning there were a great amount of victims in shelters, but also a great amount of evacuees renting apartments, hotel rooms, and driving around the cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's hard for me to answer that because I haven't gotten anyone else from the state to comment on that. I'm pretty sure though that nowhere here in Arkansas is like what Baton Rouge is going through. I think Arkansas has tried to disperse everyone as well as possible. Arkansas has made as big of an effort as possible to not just throw them into large camps and so on. I must say I have been proud of the effort here in Arkansas. Also knowing that the federal government really hasn't even done very much to help out our state as it has Texas.

It's hard for me to answer that because I haven't gotten anyone else from the state to comment on that.  I'm pretty sure though that nowhere here in Arkansas is like what Baton Rouge is going through.  I think Arkansas has tried to disperse everyone as well as possible.  Arkansas has made as big of an effort as possible to not just throw them into large camps and so on.  I must say I have been proud of the effort here in Arkansas.  Also knowing that the federal government really hasn't even done very much to help out our state as it has Texas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a whole, AR took in over 75,000 folks (2nd most of any state). Almost no recognition... almost no federal help. Our Governor is upset about that. Anyway, many were housed in camps across the state (church camps for the most part), others in shelters, and some in churches. We're all about helping our neighbors.

As a whole, AR took in over 75,000 folks (2nd most of any state).  Almost no recognition... almost no federal help.  Our Governor is upset about that.  Anyway, many were housed in camps across the state (church camps for the most part), others in shelters, and some in churches.  We're all about helping our neighbors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With Rita on a collision course for South/East Texas Arkansas is about to see a ton of evacuees. FEMA better provide some help this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Groundbreaking for the 300 3rd Tower is set for Oct. 17th. They will have to remove the building on the site before they can start construction.

They also released many of the final details.

Along with adding a story, they have presold 35 units, which blew away their goal of presailing 20-24 units. There will be a gourmet grocery that also has staple items, a liquor store, work-out facility, furnished party room, and many other amenities. It sounds nice.

Question: I see where it's going to be around 220 foot tall. What building is comparable in terms of height? How tall is the Peabody? Capital? Just for reference (I know it will be much smaller), how tall is the TCBY building (yes, I know it changed its name but it will always be the TCBY building to me)?

They also released many of the final details.

Along with adding a story, they have presold 35 units, which blew away their goal of presailing 20-24 units. There will be a gourmet grocery that also has staple items, a liquor store, work-out facility, furnished party room, and many other amenities. It sounds nice.

Question: I see where it's going to be around 220 foot tall. What building is comparable in terms of height? How tall is the Peabody? Capital? Just for reference (I know it will be much smaller), how tall is the TCBY building (yes, I know it changed its name but it will always be the TCBY building to me)?

It will be between the Peabody(217 ft.) and the Capitol(230 ft.). The TCBY(Metropolitan National Bank) is 453 ft.

It will be between the Peabody(217 ft.) and the Capitol(230 ft.). The TCBY(Metropolitan National Bank) is 453 ft.

Another interesting tidbit: the developers, Moses Tucker, was quoted during their press conference saying they wanted to develop over 800 condo units within five years of finishing the 300 third tower. That is a ton of condo units, much less being done all by one development company.

I'd love to see them embark on a more risky 300 plus unit development that would look the TCBY tower in the eyes. It'd be nice to have another good looking skyscraper.

Another interesting tidbit: the developers, Moses Tucker, was quoted during their press conference saying they wanted to develop over 800 condo units within five years of finishing the 300 third tower. That is a ton of condo units, much less being done all by one development company.

I'd love to see them embark on a more risky 300 plus unit development that would look the TCBY tower in the eyes. It'd be nice to have another good looking skyscraper.

I've recently thought about when Little Rock will get it's next skyscraper. The Metropolitan Bank Tower (it still seems weird to call it that) was the last one built, and that was all the way back in 1986. However, I like the method of development that Little Rock is taking to revitalize downtown. We're building up a critical mass of attractions, and making it a pedestrian friendly downtown first. Once the groundwork has been laid, then I don't see a reason why we shouldn't have a new skyscraper to improve our skyline. The mid-rise and high-rise developments are a good start to add to downtown Little Rock's density. Considering that the 300 Third tower is going to be eighteen stories and have ninety-six condos, I wonder what kind of buildings Moses Tucker plan to use for 800 units in the coming decade.

Regarding lacking a single corporate presence that would construct such a new building, you may be right. However, a new tower that contains many small businesses and a few middle-sized ones could work. That is basically the type of occupancy that the former TCBY building has. Metropolitan National Bank was willing and able to pay for the naming-rights, and many small businesses and law firms call it home.

It is interesting that two of Little Rock's highest profile companies, Dillard's and Alltel, do not have their corporate headquarters in the heart of downtown. Dillard's has a large low-rise headquarters on the outskirts of downtown that overlooks the Arkansas River. Alltel is just further down the road from that, and occupies a huge campus. I believe that they occupy about five buildings, the tallest being twelve stories. It's right on the Arkansas River as well. Those are some companies that could anchor a major downtown skyscraper, but it won't happen becuase what they have is very nice.

Regarding lacking a single corporate presence that would construct such a new building, you may be right. However, a new tower that contains many small businesses and a few middle-sized ones could work. That is basically the type of occupancy that the former TCBY building has. Metropolitan National Bank was willing and able to pay for the naming-rights, and many small businesses and law firms call it home.

It is interesting that two of Little Rock's highest profile companies, Dillard's and Alltel, do not have their corporate headquarters in the heart of downtown. Dillard's has a large low-rise headquarters on the outskirts of downtown that overlooks the Arkansas River. Alltel is just further down the road from that, and occupies a huge campus. I believe that they occupy about five buildings, the tallest being twelve stories. It's right on the Arkansas River as well. Those are some companies that could anchor a major downtown skyscraper, but it won't happen becuase what they have is very nice.

I don't think any skyscrapers in the future will be commercial. I think they will be residential.

Many of the skyscrapers in NYC are residential. A lot of the projects I have read about in other cities are strictly residential. If the demand is there, and it seems to be there in Little Rock, skyscrapers can be made up of mostly condos.

I don't think any skyscrapers in the future will be commercial. I think they will be residential.

Many of the skyscrapers in NYC are residential. A lot of the projects I have read about in other cities are strictly residential. If the demand is there, and it seems to be there in Little Rock, skyscrapers can be made up of mostly condos.

I just can't imagine a primarily residential building being built in Little Rock in the near future that's comparable in size to the Metropolitan Bank Building.

Besides, if the downtown population continues to grow, don't you think more businesses would find it attractive to locate downtown?

True, this is starting to happen. The US might come full circle eventually. If you look in other places in the world the rich live in the city and the poor live on the outskirts. It would really be odd if there ends up being a huge flight back into the city centers reversing the trends since the 60's. But that very well could be Little Rock's next skyscraper. Like Johnny said earlier I'm not sure if there's another company to support another large building. And I agree with Arkansawyer, I don't see Dillard's or Alltel moving their headquarters just so Little Rock can have another skyscraper. Some companies don't like having their headquarters in such buildings.

I think the next major building will be a hotel/condo combo. A few years ago an 18 story addition to the hotel in downtown NRL was proposed but never was built due to lack of business. I can see a building with 20 floors for a hotel with another 15 or so of condos. There has been only one hotel to open in the downtown LR/NLR area since the opening of the Clinton Library. The Library has been having 10,000 visitors a week and it looks like it should be time for another hotel. Also, it will be interesting to see what happens with Alltel. They are talking about spinning off part of their business. Where will the new business locate?

I think the next major building will be a hotel/condo combo. A few years ago an 18 story addition to the hotel in downtown NRL was proposed but never was built due to lack of business. I can see a building with 20 floors for a hotel with another 15 or so of condos. There has been only one hotel to open in the downtown LR/NLR area since the opening of the Clinton Library. The Library has been having 10,000 visitors a week and it looks like it should be time for another hotel. Also, it will be interesting to see what happens with Alltel. They are talking about spinning off part of their business. Where will the new business locate?

Quite possibly. The Rennaissance Tower at the old Mountain Inn location will be part hotel part condo.

Archived