Grandville Avenue Developments

GRDadof3

I think Eric will be fine giving a progress update as long as he's not plugging his leasing agent, development company, or leasing info.  I think anyone in GR would be interested in the progress on G-ville ave.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right twoshort. Anyone know the update on these two projects :whistling:

202 - 216 Grandville Avenue - Retail/Mixed Use/Residential

elevation.jpg

72 Grandville - Mixed Use/Entertainment

26A6A220F54A11D9A87C966E18F73B1D.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we haven't heard from Eric yet, I'll go ahead and post some other updates. Work has started on the Post Bar at Grandville & Oakes:

A57AE490011011DA9FD8432E18F73B1D.jpg

E912AA30011011DAB85EAB3018F73B1D.jpg

I wonder if they are going to go for the same look as their East Lansing location:

eastlansing.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last Time I drove by the project was looking good. They must be waiting on Corporate Color to move as that building seems to have very little activity going on, but that whole area is looking great. (minus Azzar's depot building). That building would make a great urban market but I'm sure he is asking 15 Million for the property. ;)

Joe

I'm going to draw you out from the shadows one of these times Eric :P  How is 72 Grandville going?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm going to draw you out from the shadows one of these times Eric :P  How is 72 Grandville going?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry hadn't noticed this post sooner !

202-216 Grandville update you say ? It is in slow motion but is happening. The reason for the lack of pace is due to the new market tax credit structure being used; this is a federal tax credit program that is both slow and very sophisticated in terms of "deal detail."

But worth the pain if the project qualifies. This one is perfect for it, despite my frustration with not really being able to "start."

Anyhow, we have spent the past 9 months doing demo and sandblasting the interior of the whole structure. The windows and roof are in place, so our basic core structure is ready for buildout.

We will be putting in 30 apartments on the upper 2 floors of the complex, Via Design has proposed some very cool funky/trendy urban style aprtments. NOT CONDO's. APartments. As I mentioned here before, these will be unlike anything that exists in our market currently, and will be aimed at young professionals and GVSU students based on our proximity to the downtown campus as well as the bus stop next door which has frequent shuttles to the front door of school as well as the allendale campus.

Downtown Self Storage has signed a lease for about 50,000 square feet and will have an indoor self storage facility catering to downtown residents as well as commercial co's, law firms etc. that don't want to pay office rental rates per sq ft for old file storage. They will offer a document shredding service, and a full postal operation FedEx, UPS, etc etc and offer hosting for travelling bus. peeps to have stuff dropped off and stored there.

We have a deal "on the table" with a jazz / blues club for much of the ground floor. This is a "house of blues" style operation, not a rowdy nightclub but a more grown-up type of lounge environment. Solid operators, I think the likelihood of a deal is pretty high here. Cool addition to that little neighborhood too, with the new Post bar and also the Intersection.

Corporate Color is sticking around at least through the construction period.

All the above will fill the 150,000 s.f. facility.

The first SIGNIFICANT work will likely start in September, elevators, stairs, code upgrades etc. some of the facade work... it won't be "done" until sometime in the winter.

Still finishing up our deal structure with the lender and the tax credit deal, soon as that's done we'll get ripping on it. All construction plans, drawings etc. are in place and we are very eager to go !

Full plans and specs and renderings here at the office if anyone is interested.

Think monsoon will flame me for "advertising" my project here? Only trying to give an update based on the request.... hope that's OK.

Thanks for your interest !

Eric

(Note: no company phone no., email address, website stuff, apartment rates etc = not an attempt to solicit)

Sorry hadn't noticed this post sooner !

202-216 Grandville update you say ?  It is in slow motion but is happening.  The reason for the lack of pace is due to the new market tax credit structure being used; this is a federal tax credit  program that is both slow and very sophisticated in terms of "deal detail."

But worth the pain if the project qualifies.  This one is perfect for it, despite my frustration with not really being able to "start."

Anyhow, we have spent the past 9 months doing demo and sandblasting the interior of the whole structure.  The windows and roof are in place, so our basic core structure is ready for buildout. 

We will be putting in 30 apartments on the upper 2 floors of the complex, Via Design has proposed some very cool funky/trendy urban style aprtments.  NOT CONDO's.  APartments.  As I mentioned here before, these will be unlike anything that exists in our market currently, and will be aimed at young professionals and GVSU students based on our proximity to the downtown campus as well as the bus stop next door which has frequent shuttles to the front door of school as well as the allendale campus.

Downtown Self Storage has signed a lease for about 50,000 square feet and will have an indoor self storage facility catering to downtown residents as well as commercial co's, law firms etc. that don't want to pay office rental rates per sq ft for old file storage.  They will offer a document shredding service, and a full postal operation FedEx, UPS, etc etc and offer hosting for travelling bus. peeps to have stuff dropped off and stored there. 

We have a deal "on the table" with a jazz / blues club for much of the ground floor.  This is a "house of blues" style operation, not a rowdy nightclub but a more grown-up type of lounge environment.  Solid operators, I think the likelihood of a deal is pretty high here.  Cool addition to that little neighborhood too, with the new Post bar and also the Intersection. 

Corporate Color is sticking around at least through the construction period.

All the above will fill the 150,000 s.f. facility.

The first SIGNIFICANT work will likely start in September, elevators, stairs, code upgrades etc. some of the facade work... it won't be "done" until sometime in the winter.

Still finishing up our deal structure with the lender and the tax credit deal, soon as that's done we'll get ripping on it.  All construction plans, drawings etc. are in place and we are very eager to go !

Full plans and specs and renderings here at the office if anyone is interested.

Think monsoon will flame me for "advertising" my project here?  Only trying to give an update based on the request.... hope that's OK.

Thanks for your interest !

Eric

(Note:  no company phone no., email address, website stuff, apartment rates etc = not an attempt to solicit)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds exciting! I saw a group of people touring the depot across the street the other day with a realtor (looked like a realtor). I hope that goes soon and something cool goes in its place.

You're right twoshort.  Anyone know the update on these two projects :whistling:

202 - 216 Grandville Avenue - Retail/Mixed Use/Residential

elevation.jpg

72 Grandville - Mixed Use/Entertainment

26A6A220F54A11D9A87C966E18F73B1D.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Re: 72 Grandville, this one is going to be a while. Burge Chemical, the seller, is still occupying and will for a while yet. There are some lengthy notice periods for me to get them out; I've been hanging around waiting to find a user before 'pushing the button' and that hasn't occurred yet. Not to mention getting rid of some of my industrial buldgs and mainly being more focused on 212-216 grandville and wrapping up the bulding at Pearl and Monroe... that one is nearly complete.

THEN I"ll get rolling on 72. Can't do 'em all at once unless you have lots of resources, which sadly I do not.

It has great potential for several different uses, I have not landed on a plan for it yet though.

What do you guys think ?

I personally think it needs to be a retail type use. A miniature BOB or something. Or one big national type retail user or large bar / entertainment complex.

Can't seem to make it work too easily for residential but have not given up yet. I've learned from my experience w/ 44 Grandville that we may not need much more loft office in that market area....

Share your $0.02 !

Eric

Re: 72 Grandville, this one is going to be a while.  Burge Chemical, the seller, is still occupying and will for a while yet.  There are some lengthy notice periods for me to get them out; I've been hanging around waiting to find a user before 'pushing the button' and that hasn't occurred yet.  Not to mention getting rid of some of my industrial buldgs and mainly being more focused on 212-216 grandville and  wrapping up the bulding at Pearl and Monroe...  that one is nearly complete.

THEN I"ll get rolling on 72.  Can't do 'em all at once unless you have lots of resources, which sadly I do not.

It has great potential for several different uses, I have not landed on a plan for it yet though.

What do you guys think ?

I personally think it needs to be a retail type use.  A miniature BOB or something.  Or one big national type retail user or large bar / entertainment complex.

Can't seem to make it work too easily for residential but have not given up yet.  I've learned from my experience w/ 44 Grandville that we may not need much more loft office in that market area....

Share your $0.02 !

Eric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Either a Jillian's or a Dave & Busters would fit in well there. Its great to have a lot of locally owned business downtown, but the name recognition that the national retailers bring would really draw attention to downtown for people living outside the immediate metro area.

Anyways, thats my $0.02 worth. It will be interesting to see what other peoples suggestions are.

people touring the depot across the street the other day with a realtor (looked like a realtor). I hope that goes soon and something cool goes in its place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He wants too much money, I think it was at $2.2 last I checked.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which that structure gets re-used, so you are looking purely at land value.

Maybe under the new eminent domain rules, the City can take it from him, pay him fair market and then make it available to private developers or put it to use for parking, enabling a more 'core' parking lot to be used for something productive ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Share your $0.02

How about an independant hotel kind of like a bed and breakfast for the top floor. Then the people running the bed and breakfast could operate a small restaurant open to the public on the ground floor. I've heard that independant hotels are all the rage in NYC right now; thought it would be cool to bring one to GR.

How about an independant hotel kind of like a bed and breakfast for the top floor.  Then the people running the bed and breakfast could operate a small restaurant open to the public on the ground floor.  I've heard that independant hotels are all the rage in NYC right now; thought it would be cool to bring one to GR.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bring on the user, go home with commission check.....

Maybe under the new eminent domain rules, the City can take it from him, pay him fair market and then make it available to private developers or put it to use for parking, enabling a more 'core' parking lot to be used for something productive ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would never happen there. Even if the city could afford it (which they probably can't) that eminent domain thing isn't as over-arching as you might think. An independent hotel with ground-floor restaurant sounds pretty cool though, garyp

We really need a venue like House of Blues here. Acts like John Mayer (who I like and my wife loves) only have stops at places like House of Blues on their tours. VAA is too big for live acoustics like that. And something a little more mature than the Intersection or Orbit Room.

We really need a venue like House of Blues here.  Acts like John Mayer (who I like and my wife loves) only have stops at places like House of Blues on their tours.  VAA is too big for live acoustics like that.  And something a little more mature than the Intersection or Orbit Room.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There used to be a wonderful blues venue at the Silver Cloud on Bridge (or was it Leonard)? My ex and I just LOVED it. Sadly, the owners didn't pay their taxes and you know what happens then. And it did.

• 1 month later...

I was just discussing this view from 212 - 216 Grandville. Perhaps you get find a way to get up there.. :whistling: I'd love to see the view...

PM Terrafirma. He might let you get up there. In fact, maybe Eric would be willing to host a little coffee/bagel tour for all of us interested in seeing what he is doing :whistling: A mini-meetup, so to speak.

PM Terrafirma. He might let you get up there. In fact, maybe Eric would be willing to host a little coffee/bagel tour for all of us interested in seeing what he is doing :whistling: A mini-meetup, so to speak.

Yeah, what exactly is going on at these properties he was working on, I don't see him around here much any more.. Are the elevators and what not going in as scheduled (mentioned earlier in the thread)... Twenty somethings and GVSU students... sounds like my kinda place.... would like to know how it's comming..

Great idea, I'll happily sponsor the outing and provide the goods !

SOmeone care to propose a date / time ?

Freight elevator works, so we can go upstairs-- you guys are gonna love the view from up there of downtown. It's proximity to GVSU and the bus stop make it pretty convenient. We are working on it, but have had one foot on the gas and one on the brake while securing our new market tax credits.

Sandblasting and demo are all done, so it's nice and clean but not built out yet.

let's do it, great idea.

Eric

Great idea, I'll happily sponsor the outing and provide the goods !

SOmeone care to propose a date / time ?

I would like to go ahead and ask politely that the time NOT be Oct 8th as I have prior obligations and I know myself and a particular sammich that would definately like to get a look at this place.

Anybody have a good date to do it? Eric, what works for you? Weekends, evenings (although its getting dark earlier and earlier)?

I would like to go ahead and ask politely that the time NOT be Oct 8th as I have prior obligations and I know myself and a particular sammich that would definately like to get a look at this place.

Anybody have a good date to do it? Eric, what works for you? Weekends, evenings (although its getting dark earlier and earlier)?

I generally don't have that much on the sked, during the day works great.

We should avoid evenings, little lighting in place yet....

Toss a date out early next week and let's go !

I would like to propose wednesday october 4, 12 noon lunch provided-- probably a simple "walkable" lunch program. Everyone has a lunch hour so maybe this will work for a good number of people ?

Just email me to let me know if you're coming [email protected]

Those who have replied to this thread already need to confirm this date / time works -- other wise we'll pick a new date.

Thanks !

Eric

I would like to propose wednesday october 4, 12 noon lunch provided-- probably a simple "walkable" lunch program. Everyone has a lunch hour so maybe this will work for a good number of people ?

Those who have replied to this thread already need to confirm this date / time works -- other wise we'll pick a new date.

Thanks !

Eric

'Scuse me, meant wed. october FIVE. At noon.

Thanks !

Eric

'Scuse me, meant wed. october FIVE. At noon.

Wed. the 5th at Noon works for me. I'll shoot you an e-mail Eric.

Great idea! Thanks for accommodating us!

Jeff

Everyone that can go to this should go. It's not very often that you get an opportunity to see an urban renewal project under construction if you don't work for a developer.

BTW: Can we possibly make it 12:30? I may be a little late :blush:

Besides, free food!

Archived