DMV In Providence?

Magellan98

From today's Projo, Letters to the Editor:

DMV in Providence

I can't believe that Governor Carcieri is planning to move the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles to Plainfield Pike, in Cranston.

Since the price of gasoline is so high, does he not have consideration for taxpayers? Also, what about the people who have to take two buses to get there? That could be quite expensive.

I think the Division of Motor Vehicles should be more centrally located. How about moving it to LaSalle Square, or some other place in Providence?

ELIZABETH PEGG

East Providence

I think Lizzy here makes a good point. I'm not an advocate of LaSalle Square but how about the empty AMEX building (which the state now sort of owns) by the mall. Easy parking available at the mall. Would certainly increase foot traffic around that area between the train station and the mall. Would also be very convenient for all the people moving to Providence's new condos (hopefully me!). It could also be a cleaner, brighter space versus what we had in Pawtucket! While I'd much rather see a new company come into the city and take that space, I am not goingt o hold my breath waiting. :wacko:

Am I crazy?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the AmEx Building would be a perfect spot for the Registry. At the very least there needs to be an Express Branch of the Registry in Providence, it's ridiculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously!

I love the fact that RI DMV's are always in places you have to drive to (without a license in an unregistered vehicle).

The AMEX building is perfect! It even has its own garage underneath. And its in walking distance from Kennedy Plaza, so any bus in the state can reach it, plus people wont mind driving there since its easy highway access via Memorial Blvd.

how about the old trolley barn in cranston

much better parking and it would help to liven the streetscape there

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That land is owned by Joe Paolino who put in a bid to have the registry move there and lost to the site selected in western Cranston. He contends that the winning bid did not meet bid requirements so he's appealing the decision.

• 2 months later...

ProJo article about DMV to lease the former RoJack's space on Plainfield Pike in Cranston...

And of course, parking is a huge concern for them...Now I've been by this god awful plaza many times, and there is MORE than enough parking there. Funny how the DMV will now be housed next to a Walmart and a McDonalds. How appropriate, three miserable places all oriented around the automobile, the perfect fit!

I guess one plus about this is that it is served frequently by RIPTA. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...rs.dd7c150.html

Any idea about parking at the amex building? I know there is an underground lot but I'm not sure it's enough to accomodate DMV demands. The traffic around that area would also be disasterous. If it were just a sattelite location that might work but I think a full scale DMV just wouldn't work there. On another note, the old apex building seems to be far better than the original Pawtucket DMV... agree?

I would've liked an Amex building DMV. Screw parking, Kennedy Plaza is down the block, and there's a garage. -_- Question for fellow natives that are much older than me and would remember pre 1995 better: when the DMV was located in the DOT building across from the State House (til 1994 I think?), where was the public parking located? Where the DOA building is now? I can't imagine how in the hell they accomodated the demand, especially since right now all the surface lots there are filled to the max almost everyday.

• 1 month later...

There are construction fences up at the Parkade in the big empty area next to Gibbs.

Man, I just hope Paolino has it in him to cover up some of that large, lusicous surface parking he has there now. I know it pains him to have anything covering up his beloved asphault.

There are construction fences up at the Parkade in the big empty area next to Gibbs.

I saw that over the weekend (I also saw the big empty hole that was the trolley barn for the first time :cry: ), anyone know what that is to become?

I have an idea for the registry, anyone of these parcels marked in yellow:

DowncityParking.jpg

:rofl: ^ Genius!

I know. :whistling:

Seriously though. The city is planning (or has been) on building a parking garage behind the Garrahy Courthouse. Get the state involved, put the registry and some shops on the ground floor, maybe a nice liner building on the Richmond Street side... Plenty of parking on site. The city gets some state help on building the garage, the state gets a new registry... After the 'iWay' is done, highway access will be relatively easy via Clifford and Friendship Streets...

• 2 months later...

Boston.com has a piece about this too: http://www.boston.com/news/local/rhode_isl...on.com+%2F+News

The state believes that they can occupy the building by September -- even though it is still in the design phase.

From nothing to move-in in less than 9 months... Should be a stunning building. :rolleyes:

Oh well, selfishly I prefer this area, hopefully it will be open on Saturdays, I hate having to go to the Rhode Island Mall.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at the DMV today and heard them talking about how this would be in the projo later this afternoon, and so it is.

Would the main office eventually move to this new Cranston locale? And what do you think is the chance this will actually happen. The DMV people said not to worry it will never happen, wondering what others think?

Carcieri would close all DMV satellite offices [ProJo News Blog]

If the new facility is a high tech, state of the art facility where one can actually get questions answered and get things done in less than, oh, let's shoot for 3 hours... AND the state moves a lot of functions online (not even a lot, how about any!) then I'm all for it.

If the new facility is a high tech, state of the art facility where one can actually get questions answered and get things done in less than, oh, let's shoot for 3 hours... AND the state moves a lot of functions online (not even a lot, how about any!) then I'm all for it.

I live in Providence and went to W. Warwick. No line at all, got a new registration in 10 minutes with all my questions answered. But right there that is a problem. Becasue I live in Providence and had to go to West Warwick to find a DMV that was not crowded (Pawtucket) or "half-service" (Warwick)...

I would like to see most stuff go online. The prospect of having to go to Pawtucket for everything DMV related is annoying.

Lets not even talk about the sketchy "VIN Check" that I went through off of Allens ave. That bullcrap moneymaker has got to go...

See, I don't have a car, but I still need a license. So I have to take the bus to Pawtucket or Warwick. And since the bus takes so long, I can't just dash out on my lunchbreak. Which means taking a day off, or going on Saturday (when Pawt. is closed and the RI Mall has lines around the block). I'm super pissed that I just got my license replaced because I lost it, and now I have to go back this month because my license expires this month. Why couldn't they have made it expire X years from when I got my replacement? Plus, why oh why do they expire on your birthday? Just what I want to do with my birthday, hang out at the Registry! :angry:

Archived